Flat-out mean: Christians leave fake tips for waiters

Flat-out mean: Christians leave fake tips for waiters

A young waiter in Kansas was delighted when he saw that a customer had left him a tip of $20 – until he discovered that it was a Christian tract exhorting him to seek “faith thru Jesus Christ” and start reading the Bible.

The victim of this despicable act was Garret Wayman, who works as a waiter at a restaurant in a suburb of Wichita. He is reported here as saying:

I’m 17-years-old, $7,000 in debt because I had to buy myself a car, juggling full-time school, and working seven days a week.

He said when he fist spotted the note tucked under a ketchup bottle he was very excited:

Getting a $20 tip at the restaurant I work at is very, very rare.

The intro to the tract read:

Don’t be fooled! There is something you can have more valuable than money.

On the back was an eight-paragraph argument for why Wayman should buy a Bible and become a Christian.

Wayman said the customer didn’t even leave a real tip to accompany the proselytising pamphlet.

He just left that. I wanted to tell him that I only make $3 an hour and bust my ass at my job to make way less than I deserve, but he was gone by the time I had the chance to.

Wayman shared pictures of the fake tip on Twitter, where they have been retweeted over 2,000 times.

Many people online have been sympathetic to Wayman’s situation. Wrote one Twitter user:

DM me with your info & I’ll send you $20. Seriously.

Wayman politely declined the offer.

Tales of waiters receiving fake money aren’t new. Previously, a waiter posted a picture of a fake $10 tip he said he received to Reddit. It had a similar religious message on the back.

The angry waiter who received the fake $10 bill said here:

I have never been more of an atheist.

Another victim – a waitress – also posted a picture of the same fake money on Reddit.

Wayman meanwhile remains understandably frustrated:

To get my hopes up like that … is just flat out mean.

I imagine that this is precisely the sort of thing that Bob Hutton would do.

19 responses to “Flat-out mean: Christians leave fake tips for waiters”

1. Rob Andrews says:

There may be thing more important than money-but not if you’re poor. It would’nt be so bad if he left at least a real tip along with it. But I would feel insulted.

The back of that bill look a lot like real money; even though the front doesn’t. This could warrent a treasury dept. investigation. A good thing to do would be for that restaurant to report this.

That would be a good pay-back. Even if the feds just came around his house once and questioned him.

2. Newspaniard says:

$3 an hour, that’s £1.50 in real money. That’s very nearly slavery. Don’t Americans have a minimum wage?

3. Gindy51 says:

Nope, not for most wait staff, they survive on the tips or they would if xtians would leave them instead of crap like this.

“Don’t be fooled! There is something you can have more valuable than money.” REALLY!! Then why didn’t you give a proper tip!?!?!?! There is no one more ignorant, mean, or egocentric than a religious person!!!!
    But even worse is the restaurant, I would love to go to one that has a sign that states…No tips needed. We charge fair and we pay our staff fair.
    And I agree with Rob..if nothing else it would inconvenience the religious ahole a little.

@Newspaniard: I think to the millions of religious, right wing, Trump revering Americans a minimum wage would be raging socialism which would destroy their gun toting country. In the same way they spend per capita far more on making the Insurance company bosses billionaires than we do on the NHS.

These Christian “tippers” are doing a great job in encouraging atheism.

6. Dan Brown says:

This is what happens when fake becomes real. It is to be expected.

7. John says:

This story has all sorts of implications, not least class ones.
    Are religionists acting-out being “middle” class when they do this?
    Is the message here that service workers are a lower form of life?
    These “notes” are – or were – printed by (TM).
    They appear not to be in existence any longer.
    It might be interesting to find out if anyone in the US knows about them?
    My guess is that there are very few of these “notes” still around.
    Which makes it even more cruel to leave one as a “tip”.
    The final conclusion can only be that the person who left it really is a jerk.

8. Raul Miller says:

It would be funny if someone developed an atheist version to drop in church collection plates. Something like: “This money is just as real as your imaginary friend Jesus, maybe he can turn it into legal tender.” Of course we’d have to sit through a bloody church service to make the point, and who needs that?

9. Vanity Unfair says:

U.S. Code › Title 18 › Part I › Chapter 25 › § 475
    Imitating obligations or securities; advertisements

Whoever designs, engraves, prints, makes, or executes, or utters, issues, distributes, circulates, or uses any business or professional card, notice, placard, circular, handbill, or advertisement in the likeness or similitude of any obligation or security of the United States issued under or authorized by any Act of Congress or writes, prints, or otherwise impresses upon or attaches to any such instrument, obligation, or security, or any coin of the United States, any business or professional card, notice, or advertisement, or any notice or advertisement whatever, shall be fined under this title. Nothing in this section applies to evidence of postage payment approved by the United States Postal Service.
    1994—Pub. L. 103–322 substituted “fined under this title” for “fined not more than $500”.

I think a quick word with the Secret Service (they used to be the counterfeiting people) is in order. They still have to find the customer, though. A $500 fine would make a $20 tip look like a bargain.

Land of the Free to Exploit Employees is not such a fine sentiment.

This same BS act also exists in ‘merica, usually in the mid-west or south where lots of delusional people live.

Typical smug, sneaky Christian trick.

Vanity Unfair: That’s a good point. In most countries it is illegal to produce fake currency. To be legal it has to be an OBVIOUS forgery, so anything that is designed to deceive people falls at the very first hurdle.

Raul Miller: Hilarious (and I really mean that), but in my case I’d be depositing a demand for compensation in their collection plate!

12. Raul Miller says:

To: barriejohn – Would the compensation be for all the unanswered prayers, all your tax money stolen by the church, or some other offense?

Raul Miller: They would be good enough reasons, but they stole my life!

14. Raul Miller says:

barriejohn: Sorry to hear that. They are good at that; unapologetic, brutal, and all in the name of heaven.

15. Trevor Blake says:

God Himself loves to tell lies: “And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the Lord, and said, I will persuade him … I will go forth and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him and prevail also; go forth and do so.” 1 Kings 22:21-22

16. Cali Ron says:

Sadly in America some states have a lower min wage for tipped employees. In California they are trying to raise the min right now, but not for tipped employees. Typical RW bull shit. Here the rich are getting ricochet and the middle class is shrinking.

I think the waiter should have chased them down, threw the paper in their face and tell them they forgot their religious garbage. Deluded, rude and insensitive religious ass holes.

17. John says:

We could all – including the waiter – be making an incorrect assumption.
    The person who left the fake tip may not have been religiously motivated.
    They may have thought it was funny to act in that way.
    They could have waited till the waiter was busy and quickly left it then.
    They could have waited outside to observe his reaction.
    In essence, the persons leaving such fake tips could just be immature idiots.
    As for the “spirit” that ‘came forth’, how was “it” created theologically?
    Is not their mythical “god” the source of all creation – allegedly?
    This represents yet another stupid form of religious reasoning.

18. jay says:

This is an old scam, going back decades.