New poll shows people trust hairdressers more than priests

New poll shows people trust hairdressers more than priests

Three decades ago the priesthood was one of the most trusted professions, but a new poll shows that nowadays people are more likely to trust their hairdressers than priests.

However, priests still fare better than politicians in the trust stakes.

According to this report, politicians remain the least trusted profession with only 21 per cent of the public saying they trust them. They are followed closely by estate agents and journalists, both on 25 per cent.

Bobby Duffy, Director of the Social Research Institute at Ipsos MORI, said the public’s lack of faith in politicians signified:

A new crisis of trust. From this long-running survey we can see that public trust has been an issue for politicians for at least the past 33 years.

Other professions, though, have seen a long-term decline in trust, most notably the clergy, who were the most trusted profession when we started the series in 1983 and have fallen behind seven other groups.

The latest survey shows that people are more likely to trust each other than establishment figures, with 69 percent trusting ordinary people on the street, compared to civil servants (59 percent), lawyers (51 percent), NHS managers (49 percent) and charity chief executives (47 percent).

Some commentators were especially surprised to see clergy falling below hairdressers in public trust. The Times suggested that:

The salon chair has replaced the confessional.

priest-ben-norton-636159914

Reverend Ben Norton, above, said he was not particularly surprised by the poll’s findings.

Sometimes clergy don’t really connect with where people are at.

The Middlesbrough vicar explained people often feel clergy are different and distant and don’t really relate to their lives.

For me hairdressing is a way to connect with people who don’t come to church. It is a really good way to get to know people and listen to people.

Norton does not wear his dog collar while cutting hair and people usually find out during their haircut that he is a vicar.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

16 responses to “New poll shows people trust hairdressers more than priests”

1. Lurker111 says:

Well, ya gotta trust your hairdresser more than your priest. Your priest usually doesn’t hover around your neck and eyes with scissors and straight razors. I hope.

I’m reminded of that wonderful quote attributed to the late George Burns:

“Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving taxi cabs and cutting hair.”

Say goodnight, Barrie!

3. CoastalMaineBird says:

This happens in ANY industry, when preservation of the company becomes more important than the customers.

It’s no different for the salvation industry.

4. Graham Martin-Royle says:

At least you can be reasonably certain that a hairdresser won’t rape your children nor that others in the profession will try to cover it up if they do.

Some kids have had a close shave with their priests, though.

6. Justin Badby says:

“Norton trained as a hairdresser before studying theology and entering the Church. However after moving to a new parish, he decided to put his old skills back to use to get to know his parishioners.”
    Disingenuous toad.

My hairdresser cuts my hair and that of my teenaged boys. She does a good job and I pay her. A good arrangement. She knows that if she does a bad job we go somewhere else. She knows she will get paid and tipped and that we will be back in a few weeks. A good arrangement but these is not much trust involved. But if it turned out she was a stealthy vicar then I would insist that someone else cuts my hair. Really. I don’t want some god botherer telling that I am a sinner, and all the other stuff that the pious inflict on ordinary people, when they have a sharp tool close to my throat.

I find it surprising that the pious dont realise that they are distrusted. They really are … very very deeply mistrusted. All of them. From the lady CoE vicar in my village right up to the AoC , the head of the Catholic Crime Syndicate who lives in the Vatican, Patriarch Kiril (Putin’s Rent Boy), every mullah, imam, mufti,priest, bishop, canon, cardinal,reverend, fakir, Rabbi, ayatolah, Moyle, Curate, Lay Preacher, Evangelist … every last one of them. Come to my house and knock on my door I will slam it shut in their face. These people lie to people for a living. Thats their job. They a parasites and blackmailers. They really are. They genitally mutilate children. They tell me I am an unworthy sinner. They rape children. THEY ARE NOT TRUSTED. And anyone who does trust them needs a good slap on the face so to wake up to their danger of their gullibility.

Do we think Reverend Ben Norton wear those earrings when he’s talking bollocks about god and Jesus from the pulpit as well as when he’s talking bollocks about summer holidays and last Saturday’s episode of The X Factor while cutting hair?

If a preacher of any type…I know that he starts out as a self condemned liar, and it goes down hill from there.
    If a hairdresser…about my hair trust her most happily, about my job? Not at all.
    Actually I don’t trust anyone very much.

9. Cali Ron says:

As an atheist I have no need of any of god’s representatives so trust is not an issue (although I don’t generally trust any of the clergy based on history). Trust should not be based on job title or position, but on an individuals moral character. This position has kept me from being on a jury because I always tell the judge that I don’t trust police anymore than any other stranger I don’t personally know. Jack Weinberg said don’t trust anyone over 30, but he’s 65 now so I can’t even trust that saying.

I don’t really trust anybody I don’t know around my head and neck with sharp objects which might explain why I’ve only had 2 haircuts in the last 21 years. Clearly, I’m a cynic, but I have to give credit where credit is due and religion definitely helped cement that trait. Fool me once and the laughs on me, fool me twice and I’m a cynic for life.

“Most are surprised when they find out, Norton said, but they feel able to talk about faith because they’ve already had a normal conversation.”

I’m happy to talk with anyone about faith and I positively welcome a chat by a believer. The reason is that I hold all the aces and the believer always relies on stating what they see as a fact which cannot be challenged. The “fact” is sometimes backed by a vague reference to the bible. I keep very cool, friendly and express interest in how they can believe what is incredible.

My hairdresser and nearing retirement always wants to talk about motorbikes – he rides one – in which I have zero interest. At our last meeting he was enthusing about the delights of riding his powerful motorbike up long steep hills.

11. harrynutsak says:

How the fuck can anyone trust a bunch of delusional idiots whose delusions revolve around death, murder, rape, slavery, torture, genital mutilation, etc.?

We have no choice.
    They’re fucking everywhere like a fucking pestilence, insisting their bullshit god hates us for some bullshit reason.

No, you can’t trust them for anything but stupid, delusional crap.
    They excel at that. Oh, yes. I always trust them implicitly for that sort of thing.

Some good news for a change. People have become better educated and informed and can see through the lies and false certainties of the religious. In terms of trust, relgious leaders are down the bottom of the pile with murderers,rapists and paedophiles.

13. Stonyground says:

I have no religion and no hair either so I can’t really comment.

14. Robster says:

This is an exciting development, disguising priests and other clergies as hairdressers to enable them to “connect” with us regular punters. Why don’t they put them all in metal boxes with buttons, meters and flashing lights and tell the wicked that the boxed up cleric is in fact a robot computerised clergy that while ready to be all judgmental, will do so in a slightly detached manner, while accepting credit or POS cards? That way the sinners can feel less threatened while satisfying the need the clergy have to stick their snotty noses into everyone’s business. They could set them up with an edible Jesus vending aspect too.

15. edwords says:

This priest wants to connect where “people are at”.

Therefore,he will be dumping Satan, ‘wait till marriage’,
    and Hell from his sermons.