Animal rights advocate jailed in Egypt for insulting Islam

Animal rights advocate jailed in Egypt for insulting Islam

Egyptian writer Fatima Naoot, above, has been sentenced to three years in prison for talking about animal rights.

According to this report, she was found guilty of insulting Islam after using Facebook to describe Eid al-Adha’s tradition of slaughtering sheep as:

The greatest massacre committed by human beings.

During the Eid al-Adha celebrations, each year thousands of livestock – mainly cows, sheep and goats – are cruelly slaughtered in public by Muslims across the globe.

The case against the secular writer related to an October 2015 Facebook post. She was also ordered to pay a fine of $255.

Her sentence comes into effect immediately, but it is reported that she will be able to appeal from prison. While she did admit to writing the Facebook post, she argued that it was in no way meant to be an insult to Islam. She said:

I’m not sad about the sentencing as I don’t care about going to jail. I’m sad that the efforts of reformists have been wasted.

Sherif Adeeb, her defence attorney, expressed his surprise at the court’s decision.

Despite having hoped for an acquittal, I cannot comment on court decisions but the situation in general is odd because we have submitted proof that there were no criminal intentions on the part of my client, a claim that the prosecution authorities also supported.

14 responses to “Animal rights advocate jailed in Egypt for insulting Islam”

It is impossible to insult isLame (or any other religion) as the religion is so horrid that finding an insult would sound like a compliment.

2. David Anderson says:

Ah well, another reason not to visit Egypt or any other primitive, barbaric, Islamic country.

These Muslim scum do love to feast on cruelty. They seem to have an insatiable appetite for watching suffering. The sight of the interested crowds watching suffering animals and humans for amusement turns the stomach. They are not fit to be admitted to civilised society.

4. Justin Badby says:

Public slaughtering of animals in this way … throat cutting and bleeding to death … as a public spectacle is calculated to show the audience what a gruesome horrible death the victims experience. The whole idea is to show that audience the horrible death awaiting them if they step out of line.The additional benefit is to dirty up and harden the audience in preparation of the time it is their turn to do god’s bidding by murdering the infidels or the wrong kind of muslims. Show no mercy to any living thing, including humans, is an excellent way of training and subjugating those who are invited to watch. And do you know the audience seems to really enjoy the suffering that is inflicted. Enjoyment of extreme violence seems to be an integral part of being a muslim. Just look at the faces. Primitive barbaric and inexcusable.

5. Justin Badby says:

Time to outlaw this kind of butchery in the uk. It is an affort to human decency.

I wonder how the appalling character in the black shirt and white keks, the one with the big black knife scabbard, would react if he was grabbed from behind and a razor sharp blade drawn across his throat. Just imagine his distress as he sees his blood squirting through the air and gutters on the inhaled blood? Would the crowd bay in delight at the sight? The answer is yes especially if he had (insert here some jumped up piddling offence or petty crime).

6. Club Secretary says:

Note that there are no women in the “audience”except for one young girl.

7. Tony A says:

Locking up caring people who complain about cruelty to defenceless animals! How much lower can humanity sink. Keep these savages out of Europe before their barbaric practices poison our hard-won civilised society.

Bullfighting originated in the Middle East, though the Ancient Romans seemed to have a lust for blood sports of all kinds:

I wonder if a similar crowd of voyeuristic death worshippers turns up to ogle at the smashed bodies of gay men thrown from tall buildings? Utterly disgusting!

10. Mike Hall says:

All Societies that practice Animal Sacrifice are Doomed to Failure. Witness the State of the Middle East at Present. You Reap what you Sow!

11. Trevor Blake says:

I’ve been insulting Islam since 2003. Not falsely or accidentally but openly and consistently and deliberately. Perhaps some day I will have my turn but so far their deity has yet to send the faithful my way. I will go down laughing at them.

12. Laura Roberts says:

I’m struck by the parallels between this ritual and the American pastime of hunting. Granted, this ritual is less sanitized, but consider this advice for American parents who want to groom their kids to enjoy killing animals for sport: “When they do get their first shot in, don’t track the [animal] right away. Seeing it struggle for life isn’t something kids need to witness when they’re dealing with their mixed emotions.” It’s hard to imagine a clearer example of desensitization to killing.

The question I always ask hunters (and I do count several among my friends) is this: what does it mean to you that you derive pleasure from killing? I’ve managed to convince at least one thoughtful person to abandon the practice.

My father and my uncle were both keen fishermen, and used to take a boat out on Southampton Water when I was a boy. They also took me with them to local rivers and lakes, and I hated it. My dad always assured me that “fish don’t feel pain, because they’re cold blooded”, even though you had to tread on eggshells from within about five hundred miles of the river so as not to alarm them! It’s amazing the bullshit that people will believe when it suits their ends, so it’s really no surprise that religion, astrology, clairvoyance, homoeopathy, etc, are believed in by erstwhile intelligent people.

14. […] judgement comes a month after female writer Fatima Naoot was jailed for three years for insulting Islam after she criticised the slaughter of animals during a major religious […]