Potty-mouthed, pro-gay Trump alienates Christian fundies

Potty-mouthed, pro-gay Trump alienates Christian fundies

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump won’t get to air his views before students at at least one Christian university in the US because because of his frequent use of the ‘F-bomb’.

During his town hall rally in Portsmouth on Thursday, while speaking of companies that relocate overseas in order to receive tax breaks, Trump declared:

And you can tell them to go fuck themselves!

Later, when decrying island-building in the South China Sea, he proclaimed that the Chinese are “ripping the shit out of the sea,” which generated laughter from the audience.

Commenting on Trump’s use of expletives, Dr Everett Piper of Oklahoma Wesleyan University said that Trump’s life does not comport with Christianity.

I refuse to let my desire to win ‘trump’ my moral compass. I will not sell my soul or my university’s to a political process that values victory more than virtue. No, Donald Trump will not be speaking at Oklahoma Wesleyan University.

Some have remarked that Trump has used more profanity than any other candidate they have seen run for the office of president. The Washington Post reported in December:

Over the course of his time on Twitter, including in some cases after he announced his presidential candidacy, Trump has tweeted or retweeted profanity on his account more than 100 times.

And radio show host radio host Dennis Prager wrote in a National Review article entitled “Donald Trump’s F-Bombs”:

Any fool can curse in public … Leading Republicans need to announce that there is no place in the Republican party for profane public speech …

falwell

Nonetheless, Trump has won the support of  Jerry Falwell, Jr, above,President of Liberty University which heralds itself as the world’s largest Christian university. Falwell, who endorsed Trump for the presidency two weeks ago and appeared at two Iowa campaign rallies with the candidate last weekend, proclaimed before the thousands of students who attend the university and on national media that Trump’s life does comport with Christianity.

Matthew 7:16 tells us that ‘By your fruits you shall know them’. Donald Trump’s life has borne fruit. Fruit that has provided jobs to multitudes of people, in addition to the many he has helped with his generosity.

In my opinion, Mr. Trump lives a life of loving and helping others as Jesus taught in the Great Commandment.

Conservatives have something else to be dismayed about: Trump’s new-found passion for gay rights.

According to this Queerty report, he told a lesbian publisher in New Hampshire on Thursday that the American people will see “more forward motion” on gay equality under his presidency, citing it as a part of his effort to bring people together.

Trump was interviewed in Exeter by Susan O’Connell, the publisher of Bay Windows, New England’s largest publication for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender readers.

She told Trump:

I’m a lesbian. And we’ve had some great progress for the gay and lesbian community through politics, through all sorts of judicial actions and elected actions over the past 20 years. When President Trump is in office can we look for more forward motion on equality for gays and lesbians?

Trump replied:

Well, you can. And look, again, we’re going to bring people together, and that’s your thing, and other people have their thing … We have to bring all people together, and if we don’t we’re not going to have a country anymore. It’s going to be a total mess. It’s a mess right now, and it’s going to be worse. So, it’s a very important choice this presidential year – very important – maybe the most important we’ve had in many, many decades. And I’m going to bring people together.

Queerty acidly commented:

Did you hear that gay people? Donald Trump wants to you have ‘your thing’. And other people can have ‘their thing’. In Donald Trump’s America, everyone can have ‘their thing’… so long as they aren’t Mexican, Muslim, disabled, and so on, and so on…

Either Trump has had a complete 180-degree change of heart since he boasted that he absolutely, positively does not support same-sex marriage in 1999… and in 2000… and in 2011… and in 2013… Or he’s just trying to appeal to New Hampshire voters, of which 67 percent say they support same-sex marriage.

Former Democratic President Jimmy Carter, who told reporters last year that Jesus would support gay marriage, said last week that he would prefer Trump for president over Ted Cruz because he finds Trump to be “malleable,” meaning pliable or able to be influenced or swayed. He called Cruz “far right wing” and lamented that he is not “malleable” on the issues.

Trump has proven already that he is completely malleable. I don’t think he has any fixed positions that he would come to the White House and fight for.

18 responses to “Potty-mouthed, pro-gay Trump alienates Christian fundies”

I find it comical how the holier than thou crowd hates the for fuck and shit as if not saying the words mean they don’t do the words!!! Now PLEASE someone tell me what is so bad about the words??? They are not cursing as if that is a real thing, they are not blasphemy as if that is real too. All I ever get is a whinny ‘I don’t like it.’ Why? Cuz I don’t like it! Why?….over and over. As a kid ‘shucks’ was OK but ‘shit’ was not yet they mean the same thing!!!!! SO what it comes back to is religion just trying to control you again!!!!

L.Long: They never fuck, yet they have millions of kids!

If only we all had the business acumen of Donald Trump – a man who has turned a potential $13 billion fortune into one of about $4 billion. (And even that may be an exaggeration for all we know. This from Wikipedia: In 2015, Forbes estimated his net worth at $4 billion. In June 2015, Business Insider published a June 30, 2014, financial statement supplied by Trump. The statement reflects his net worth as $8.7 billion. Of that amount, $3.3 billion is represented by “Real Estate Licensing Deals, Brand and Branded Developments”, described by Business Insider as “basically [implying] that Trump values his character at $3.3 billion.”)

I can’t provide all the links here, but you can google it if interested in learning more. The following is well worth reading:

With Trump on the scene a bull in a china shop looks careful and neat. I liked the way he roughed up creepy Jeb Bush who regards his dad, who had Tony Blair as his poodle, as the greatest man in the world. The Republicans look like cats in a sack with a dog thrown in amongst them.

I doubt if there is one of the Republicans who would recognise a principle if it smacked them in the nose. But then most UK politicians are the same.

Broga: What chaos it was! And I notice that they were all united in demanding that a replacement for Antonin Scalia is not made until the next President has taken office – a delay of almost twelve months – in their determination to stymie President Obama:

@barriejohn: One of these nutters could be President and with their finger on the nuclear button. Although I doubt whether it is easy to get it pressed. Meanwhile the murderous psychopath in North Korea (who does the repellent look better than anyone) says he can land a bomb on the USA if he choses.

Antonin Scalia has gone from the scene and good riddance to him. The Republicans want him replaced with a clone. However, concerns about contraception and abortion may fade into the background if Trump gets elected. I guess the Chinese are saying, “May you live in interesting times.” They may be a touch too interesting before this political debacle is over.

And this is the nation that put men on the moon! A staggering scientific achievement, requiring extraordinary courage from the astronauts. (Just read “Moon Shot” which details the background to the landing.)

6. Newspaniard says:

I know I’m a right-wing,reactionary slut but I find Trump more refreshing the more I hear from and about him. Bring on the character assassination you lefties.

7. Trevor Blake says:

“Anyone who calls women ‘pigs,’ ‘ugly,’ ‘fat’ and ‘pieces of [expletive]’ is not on my side. Anyone who has been on the cover of Playboy and proud of it, who brags of his sexual history with multiple women and who owns strip clubs in his casinos is not on my side.”

Dr. Piper, I’m afraid I have some bad new for you…

@Trevor Blake: I loved your response to that self righteous prig. Brilliant. Could not be improved on. I am still laughing. Made my evening.

9. John says:

Brogan:
    Is it correct to say ‘Jeb Bush who regards his dad, who had Tony Blair as his poodle…’?
    I think it was Jeb Bush’s brother – not his father – who had Blair on a lead.
    Is that not correct?

@John: Correct. I got it wrong. It was of course President Bush. Thanks.

11. Trevor Blake says:

Broga: enjoy with my compliments. Skeptics Annotated Bible is a world-class reference site.

12. Fimose says:

As long as he does something to stop the circumcision industry in America, he can use the F word as much as he wants IMO.

13. harrynutsak says:

@Newspaniard
    Your father was a hamster and your mother smelt of elderberries!

And that’s not all, either! So there! >:-P

14. Laura Roberts says:

Scalia was one of those rare individuals who did his greatest service to the world by leaving it. I was appalled by the Washington Post’s fawning tribute. Those people who claim Scalia had a sharp intellect cannot possibly have read any of his opinions. Granted, I’ve only read a few of them myself (most recently his hysterical screed against gay marriage) but I’ve never seen any signs of mature thought in his writing.

The great irony of right-wing reactionaries insisting that no replacement be approved until after the election is that they make themselves even less palatable to the electorate than buffoons like Trump have already. This sets up a real possibility that the next U.S. President and Senate will both be Democratic, which could pave the way for Barack Obama to become the next SCOTUS appointee. It could happen…

15. Although I greatly admire Trump, the wig needs to go. Surely a billionaire can afford something rather more realistic than what looks like a toupée inherited from Liberace?

16. Matthew Carr says:

Does “malleable” mean he’s not willing to defend his principles or that he doesn’t have any? He’s already stated emphatically that he’s unwilling to learn anything.

17. Cali Ron says:

Laura Roberts: Thank you for stating what should be obvious. The man was a filled with hate and loathing for anyone not a christian, white male. How can they call a man who used terms like “jiggery-pokery” and “pure applesauce” in a SCOTUS dissent be considered to have a high level of intellect. Like Ronald Reagan the conservatives liked him because he appealed to their intolerance and hatred, not for any actual intelligence. America just became a better place with his passing. Good riddance.

18. edwords says:

Scalia was GW Bush’s favorite SC justice. ‘Nuff said’?