Godly Dutch company violated gay man’s human rights

Godly Dutch company violated gay man’s human rights

The Dutch Human Rights Commission has ruled in favour of Bas van der Meer, above right, who was rejected for an internship at a garden and farming supplies centre in Friesland because he is gay.

According to this report, Van der Meer, 25, had been through two interviews with the company, A. Th. De Boer, when he received an email saying he is not welcome. It read:

As nowhere in God’s word does he approve of you living out your sexual orientation… we cannot take you on.

The email came after the company had spotted a photograph of Van der Meer with his boyfriend on his Facebook page.

The human rights commission said the company had broken the law by rejecting Van der Meer and that he had faced discrimination.

The company should not have differentiated between gay or straight students when filling the job, the commission said.

It is not yet clear what the impact of the ruling will be and Van der Meer will meet justice ministry officials later today.

He wrote on his Facebook page:

Great to hear that the law always comes above religious beliefs.

Some 58 percent of orthodox Protestants in the Netherlands think homosexuality is wrong, making them the most anti-gay group in the country, according to research from the government’s socio-cultural think-tank SCP at the end of 2014.

manny-1_640x345_acf_cropped-2

Meanwhile we have just learned that sportswear giant Nike has dropped its sponsorship of boxing champion Manny Pacquiao over anti-gay comments.

Eight-time world boxing champion Pacquiao sparked criticism in the Philippines after describing gay couples as “worse than animals”.

Pacquiao told local broadcaster TV5:

It’s common sense. Do you see animals mating with the same sex?

Hat tip: Peter Sykes (Dutch report)

16 responses to “Godly Dutch company violated gay man’s human rights”

1. CoastalMaineBird says:

So, what happens with the De Boer company? If they’re forced to hire him, they can still make his life miserable.
    If they pay a fine and he goes elsewhere, the company still wins.

‘Great to hear that the law always comes above religious beliefs.’

Always? Really?

What a compliment to be compared to “animals” (he really meant “other animals”, of course). Man is surely the most selfish, devious, manipulative and destructive creature on this planet, and whilst it would be ridiculously romantic to believe that other animals do not share these characteristics to some degree, the world might be better off without us.

Pink News has also come up with this, but one has to wonder whether Pacquiao’s brain is now fit to absorb such facts:

Just as bad language is not forbidden by their book o’BS, neither does it forbid being gay. It just comes down to ‘I think it is icky, and by reflection so does my imaginary fiend!’, so go away! It is pure bigotry and intolerance, gawd has nothing to do with it.

5. Newspaniard says:

Another of the dangers of Facebook, it really is a curse on society and should be avoided at all costs. (IMHO, of course)

6. Laura Roberts says:

“It’s common sense. Do you see animals mating with the same sex?”

Jesus tap-dancing Christ. Google much?? Um, the answer to that would be yes, we do. In primates, in cats, goats, penguins… hell, in bats alone it’s been documented in 22 different species.

“It’s common sense. Do you see animals mating with the same sex?”
    Well actually I see animals doing gay sex a hell of a lot more then I see humans doing it!!

@L. Long. I spent my early years on my Grandparents and saw this too. Also, spending all that time around animals and nature I learned an awful lot about life and death that was to help me realise that there are no gods.

@Angela_K: Grow up on a farm as I did and you will soon see death as routine. You will also see that for some men (I never saw it with women) the abuse and killing of animals is a source of entertainment. Perhaps things have improved since then.

@Broga
    I very much doubt that it has. The human race seems to have an insatiable appetite for infliciting unnecessary cruelty and misery. Which through the ages and to this day has been best exemplified by religious zealots.

@Broga.My Grandparents even though Methodists, believed animals should be treated well and cared for as they must eventually be killed for our benefit.I never saw any of our stock being mistreated, although I’m well aware it does still happen. OT. The tiny chapel built by my great grandparents still stands about a mile from the farm, abandoned for many years but recently taken over by some other cult.

@Angela_K: Well good for your and grand parents and the Methodists. I’m afraid the ill treatment of animals does still happen. I think it is much less now on the farms than in my childhood. I live surrounded by farms. I was interested to hear a farmer who is a friend say that, “I have become keen on environment. The kids bring it home from school and get on at me.”

@Agent Cormac: I’m afraid you are right. The stories of the abuse of dogs and horses, for example, are sickening. At the same time many people lavish love on the same animals – sometimes to the detriment of the animals. We are a strange species: partly civilised and partly savage.

The government is happy to allow the abomination of halal slaughter to continue. They seem to want to excuse this. Animals hung by their heels and their throats slit so they can bleed to death. Apparently some believers insist that stunning first would offend against the religious requirement.

14. Justin Badby says:

Manny Pacquiao – spectacular fuckwit thug

15. harrynutsak says:

Boxers are not known for mental abilities, political acuity, or masculinity, among other things.

Perhaps Manny should stop looking like a gay poster child if he wants to impress people with his anti-gay outbursts.

He’s sticking by what he said. It’s in the Bible!

(I wonder whether anyone has asked him to point out the relevant verses?)