Jesus was a Hindu book upsets Christians, who call for a ban

Jesus was a Hindu book upsets Christians, who call for a ban

A book first published in 1946 has been re-released in India, much to the annoyance of Christians.

According to this report, Ganesh Savarkar’s Christ Parichay – translated into English as Jesus was a Tamil Hindu – claims Jesus was a Brahmin and that Christianity is just a sect of Hinduism.

It says his real name was Keshao Krishna and that his mother tongue was Tamil. The author also claims he was rescued from the cross by the Essenes and healed with medicinal herbs.

He was then taken to Kashmir and spent the rest of his life in the Himalayas, where his tomb can still be found.

The book has been reprinted by a Mumbai-based trust dedicated to propagating the teaching of Savarkar and his brothers.

According to the beliefs promoted by the the right-wing Hindu nationalist Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS), all Indians were originally Hindus and communities practicing different religions are ultimately apostate. The re-issue of Savarkar’s book is designed to bolster this argument.

It has drawn fierce criticism from Christians. Fr Nigel Barrett, spokesperson for the Archdiocese of Bombay, said:

There is an attempt to re-write history and draw us into controversy. Christianity is well grounded and based on the person of Jesus who without a doubt is a real person in history. The RSS is welcome to claim what they will, it doesn’t affect us. Our faith in Jesus is based on a personal encounter with Christ.

Dr Abraham Mathai, President of the Indian Christian Voice and former Vice Chairman of the Minorities Commission, added:

The book is a sign of high ignorance of the author. Jesus Christ was born 2000 years ago in Bethlehem and died at Calvary. Yes, Christianity came first to India rather than the West, when St Thomas, one of Jesus’s apostles came here to preach. The basis of this book is completely false.

A delegation to the from the Maharashtra United Christian Council to the Chief Minister led by Rev Sanjay Londhe demanded the book be banned. Londhe asked why, if Jesus were a Hindu, some Hindu organisations were against the Church.

They should not burn churches and attack Christian.

The opposition Congress Party questioned the timing of the book’s release. Party spokesperson Sachin Sawant said:

It appears to be deliberate. They want to create confusion among the Indian masses. They must stop it.

Meanwhile, according to this 2014 report entitled “5 Reasons to Suspect Jesus Never Existed”:

A growing number of scholars are openly questioning or actively arguing against whether Jesus lived.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

22 responses to “Jesus was a Hindu book upsets Christians, who call for a ban”

1. andym says:

FOR SALE. One damaged irony meter. Beyond repair. Suitable only for spares.

I suppose there’s as much evidence that Jesus was a Hindu as that he was anything else, like a living person.

2. David Anderson says:

“Christianity is well grounded and based on the person of Jesus who without a doubt is a real person in history.” Citation needed.

” ….attempt to re-write history”That is something all religions are very good at doing.

Isn’t it fun to see the different cults fighting each other, rather like bald men fighting over a hairbrush.

4. gedediah says:

So one made up tradition is upset by the claims of another because there’s no evidence to back them up. Erm….

isLame says a similar thing. That jesus was just another profit of allah, just not as holey as Mo. Note to english nazis …misspellings are on porpoise.

You’ve got to laugh – here are christians attacking a book about Jesus as being ‘a sign of high ignorance’ and that the ‘basis of this book is completely false’. Remind you of any other book about Jesus?

7. sailor1031 says:

Well the christians have lied so often that it seems like the truth to them.
    “…Our faith in Jesus is based on a personal encounter with Christ.”

An obvious lie; if the late JC ever existed no-one alive today has ever had a personal encounter with him – because he’s been dead for two thousand years. Doesn’t stop them saying nonsense like that to make it all sound profound instead of the laughable nonsense that it is. Kind of like Deepshit Chopra. Got to protect the business model after all.

8. Rob Andrews says:

Why not… It’s no different than Mormons saying that Christ was on the American continent. Mainstream Xtians don’t attack that.

But we don’t have book censorship here so it would be a waiste of time arguing-censorship is better. Why argue just get-rid-of.

“Man aat the rend of a week of hard work, when god was tired”. Mark Twain

Sailor1031: This song was a great favourite when I was a Christian. I’m sure that Cali Ron and a few others will remember it.

One of the commenters says: “I wish I could play an instrument, thank you and God Bless You.” I bet she wishes that SHE could play an instrument as well!

“Our faith in Jesus is based on a personal encounter with Christ.” That is one hell of a claim and I suppose Fr Nigel Barrett managed to make the statement with a straight face. I wonder what form and where the personal encounter took place?

If people can seriously believe that when they attend mass they are chomping on the actual flesh of their beloved saviour and downing a nip of his actual blood, then they are clearly capable of believing absolutely anything. And yes, I know I’m ‘mix & matching’ different brands of christianity here (brands whose followers hate each other so much we end up with the kind of secterianism exemplified by communities in Northern Ireland), but I hope you get my point.

They are so deluded by their indoctination that they probably do, in their feeble minds, believe they can have a personal relationship with someone who doesn’t actually exist.

It’s a bit like Winston Smith in Orwell’s ‘1984’: if Big Brother loves them, that’s all that matters – they are blind to reality.

12. Trevor Blake says:

“Our faith in Jesus is based on a personal encounter with Christ.”

In translation: faith should be based on evidence, and our evidence is a ‘personal encounter’ which means no evidence at all, but because we give it the name ‘personal encounter’ instead of ‘no evidence at all’ we can pretend like we meet the criteria of faith being based on evidence.

If they were to say ‘I prefer to believe’ then they are in fact correct. But they don’t say that, now, do they?

13. RussellW says:

My first thought was, ‘Who gives a rat’s?’ Very amusing.

Then it occurred to me that people will probably die because of this exercise in complete and utter lunacy.

14. Robster says:

This is a rather trendy fully inclusive Jesus with a little Eastern spiritual bling. This Jesus is just as malleable or customisable as all the other available Jesusus with the added advantage of colour and great chanting ability. This is the Jesus for those thinking outside the octagonally shaped thingamajig.

“My god’s better than yours”; it’s like a kids’ playground squabble. On the same day that it is reported that Cardinal Muller advises that humanitarian work amongst refugees should not be used as a cloak for proselytization (he said that “proselytism ‘is practically a manipulation of the conscience’ and…the church’s mission is to help mankind relate to and love those escaping war and persecution” according to the Catholic Herald), we learn that 40 Muslim refugees have “found Christ” in Cardiff (so THAT’S where he has been hiding!) and been baptized in the sea at Barry Island:

Be prepared for more of this ; I remember the same thing happening when Vietnamese refugees arrived in Swindon many years ago!

It is very comforting to think that you have a “personal friend” who is all-knowing, all-powerful, in control of the universe, and who loves and understands you and will always look after you. It’s a delusion, of course, and in most cases neurotic behaviour rather than psychotic (as would be true of people like Joan of Arc, for instance). The vast majority of Christians don’t actually hear voices or see angelic beings, but delude themselves that they are being watched over by god and somehow “guided” in their decisions (no one knows exactly how). It’s still harmful, and not a healthy state of mind, and undoubtedly caused a lot of psychological damage in my own case. One would expect sensible people to grow out of the “imaginary friend” stage when they were quite young!

17. John the Drunkard says:

Well, the JC didn’t exist argument’s merits are slim. They keep coming back to the absence of evidence. Rather like all the ‘Shakespeare didn’t write the plays’ crowd. Of course ‘evidence’ about JC is thin on the ground, just like evidence of Bill S.

But compared to ANY OTHER person in the Levant in that period? Or, compared to any OTHER actor/playwright of Elizabeth’s reign?

Even the Official Jesus is muddied by contradictory versions in the gospels, Paul etc. But there doesn’t really seem to be room to make claims as far fetched as Savarkar’s.

18. Cali Ron says:

barriejohn : :He lives, he lives, he lives with in my heart
    You ask me how I know he lives he lives with in my heart. I could do the whole song from memory, but I’m on my phone. That one was done at the end of every service. Really get’s the spirits going. However, I am sure no supernatural beings are living in my heart muscle. Some things you can’t forget.

Cali Ron:

“He lives, he lives; Salvation to impart”, actually, so your memory’s not quite as good as you thought, but that’s why they’re so keen on brainwashing the kids – they know that it will always stay with them. The Brethren quite openly quoted “Give me the child and I’ll give you the man” when I was a member!

20. Cali Ron says:

barriejohn: OK, you got me there. I was going to blame it on the Jamison’s, but then why would I want to remember the lyrics to that? As a very young child I pictured a little Jesus statue inside me, proof I was being indoctrinated well before I was capable of understanding things like god and religion.

Cali Ron: Don’t get me started. How can any young child possibly appreciate all that drivel about “sin”, and “guilt”, and “burdens”, and “washed in the Blood of the Lamb”? It’s meaningless to them. I remember one evangelist having a jolly good laugh when, instead of singing about a Heavenly Father, one child had been singing “There’s a farmer up above, looking down in heavenly love”! He still didn’t get it though.

22. Vanity Unfair says:

This story keeps coming back. I remember it with almost every repopularisation of cashmere on the fashion roundabout. This page puts it back to 1887:
    I’m sure there must be earlier accounts.
    The BBC reported “From our own correspondent” in 2010:
    Is it any more real than King Arthur’s grave at Glastonbury?