Buy a book like this and you risk knocking at Hell’s door

Buy a book like this and you risk knocking at Hell’s door

The first commercially successful adult colouring books were published in 2012 and 2013.

And, according to this article:

The once-niche hobby has now grown into a full-on trend, with everyone from researchers at Johns Hopkins University to the editors of Yoga Journal suggesting colouring as an alternative to meditation.

The American Art Therapy Association claims that art therapy is a mental health technique in which the process of making and creating artwork is used to:

Explore feelings, reconcile emotional conflicts, foster self-awareness, manage behavior and addictions, develop social skills, improve reality orientation, reduce anxiety and increase self-esteem.

But, if the paranoid Christian nut who runs the Last Hiker blog is to be believed, books featuring mandala patterns, such as the one pictured, pose a very real danger.

The mandala itself is a receptacle for ‘deities’ and ‘universal forces’. It is not just opening a door to the spiritual realm, it is knocking on the door of a false temple …

So my question when it comes to the whole adult coloring books is this –Is it really about coloring?

Or is it about spiritual hosts of wickedness sneaking mandalas into our homes and into our subconscious minds?

Is it really about recreation or is it New Age evangelism?

I can color all I want.

But if I do, I am going to get a big fat coloring book of Bible stories.

It isn’t so trendy and cool, but at least it is honest.

When the Friendly Atheist Hemant Mehta reported this story, one reader wrote:

A coloring book of the Old Testament? I don’t think I have enough Cadmium Red for that…

Another said:

Better stock up on Deluge Blue, too??

A third said:

What color is ‘smite’? I’ll need some of that.

And a fourth replied:

I think there is a lot of red in smite.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

24 responses to “Buy a book like this and you risk knocking at Hell’s door”

1. CoastalMaineBird says:

Any excuse to find something to hate.

2. David Anderson says:

Colour me surprised.

Colour me surprised.

Yes – I heard a lot of this sort of thing when I was an evangelical. You’ve got to be looking over your shoulder all the time in case you’re doing the wrong thing. It’s paranoia, but it keeps the followers on their toes!

4. Barry Duke says:

And speaking of colours … http://i.imgur.com/o9XVo9Z.jpg

Barry: That’s pathetic. I remember kids being given every item imaginable with Bible texts on, in an effort to brainwash them: pens, pencils, erasers, notebooks, badges, bookmarks – you name it. Personally, I prefer to purchase my sweeties from The Pink Sweetshop. It’s where Doreen Potts gets her famous, favoured, fully-flavoured fudge, obviously!

These are the sorts of games with which good Christian children should be amusing themselves:

Battle For a Soul
    This game shows the importance of prayer and fasting to prepare for the battle of winning souls for Christ.

Battling Sin
    Children have fun removing sin from their side of the battle field.

Burden
    In life, we will encounter burdens. In this game, you try to give your burden to somebody else.

Choose Your Treasure
    What would you do with a hundred dollars? Kids discover the difference between earthly and heavenly treasures while having a little fun.

Let’s Get Ready
    How do you prepare for the return of Jesus? Teams are challenged to match ideas.

You couldn’t possible parody those, could you?

7. Marcus says:

Sweet Jesus, Barry! Please tell me that’s a Photoshop piss-take.

8. Barry Duke says:

Don’t think so, Marcus. Seems you can get buy them at Scripture Candy (Reaching The World One Piece At A Time).

9. CoastalMaineBird says:

So… How does one gain the knowledge of good and evil?

This LAST HIKER person seems to know a lot more than I do – I would never have guessed that Mandalas were evil.

If only there were a vegetable that we could eat that would give us this knowledge. Or a fruit, maybe.

10. CoastalMaineBird says:

@barriejohn: “Children have fun removing sin from their side of the battle field.

Gadzooks, man !

I went to read the detailed description, but fortunately, these are not available to the general public, you have to sign up for them.

Imagine the “battles” between the kids. You have two sides BATTLING each other:

“I got rid of a BIG sin !”
    — “Pew – pew – pew!”
    — Well, I got rid of TWO sins ! ”
    “I’m a better Christian than YOU are!”
    ” Nuh-uh !”

Onward, Christian soldiers…

Well I’m doomed to hell anyway, so why not have my wife join me.
    She looks these coloring books and if they invite demons into your soul may we can then have demon fueled hot sex too!!

Some of these patterns are created using mathematics, something logical and therefore anathema to the religious loonies.

Christians seeing the face of Jesus in pieces of toast. Christians believing they can get healed at Lourdes. Christians thinking a dead guy from 2,000 years ago knows and loves them. Christians believing there’s a big bloke with a white beared living in the sky. And now christians thinking the mandala is a receptacle for ‘deities’ and ‘universal forces’. There’s a pattern emerging! (Boom-boom!)

It’s hard to believe I’m a member of the human race sometimes – we put people in orbit for months on end, attack cancers with genetically modified T-cells, look through electron microscopes, calculate the temperature of the Sun, and at the same time see evil spirits in our cornflakes, devils down the toilet, holy ghosts, virgin births, miracles galore and now evil circles. Are we ever going to wake up? I sometimes think life as a dog or a cat would be far easier.

15. Ellis-e-yum says:

Awwwww diddums …. It looks like someone stole someone’s crayons.

16. Trevor Blake says:

“I am going to get a big fat coloring book of Bible stories.”

I greet you, author at Last Hiker blog, as a fellow blasphemer of the Christian faith. Just like you, I don’t care that the Bible forbids drawings like you say you enjoy making…

Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath. Exodus 20:4, Deuteronomy 5:8

Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the simultude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, The likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged fowl that flieth in the air, The likeness of any thing that creepeth on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth. Deuteronomy 4:16-18

Take heed unto yourselves, lest ye forget … and make you a graven image, or the likeness of any thing, which the Lord thy God hath forbidden thee. Deuteronomy 4:23

Cursed be the man that maketh any graven or molten image, an abomination unto the LORD, the work of the hands of the craftsman. Deuteronomy 27:15

17. andym says:

@Barrie. It can’t be a happy life being a religious nutjob. Made all the worse for not being allowed to express your unhappiness without being accused of blasphemy. It must take enormous self-delusion to keep it up.

Trevor Blake: Spot on!

Andym: It’s like living in an alternative universe; and as I say, dangerous.

BTW I had friends who suffered from stress and depression for various reasons, and sadly found, like myself, that Jesus wasn’t “enough”(!), and some found painting very therapeutic. I’m quite artistic myself, and did a lot of drawing at that time (somewhat frowned upon by the fundies as being “a waste of time”.) Do others agree with me that whilst “colouring in” might be useful as a stress-reducing activity, one can hardly claim that it “inspires creativity”. Quite the opposite, I would have thought.

19. Brian Jordan says:

@Trevor Blake
    No, it would be colouring-by-numbers that would be really un-creative.
    Until you got to 666, whereupon all hell would break loose.

Brian Jordan: You don ‘t know the half. The colours and/or numbers would have to be chosen to match their “spiritual significance” (I’m not making it up!).

21. andym says:

I suppose deliberately painting things the colour they never are eg bright red grass, could be seen as a form of creativity, but overall, I’d agree that it’s the opposite of creativity. You are literally agreeing to stay within someone else’s pre-ordained boundaries.

Thinking about it, being in a religious sect is probably like being in any totalitarian system, You can be happy, but only if you’re totally free of doubt. Once doubt creeps in, there is nowhere to turn, because you’ve already been isolated from anyone who might listen. Stalin knew this, as do present-day authoritarian regimes who want to control citizens’ access to the internet.

@barriejohn. Just looked at your link, wow! who came up with that load of nonsense. I’m surprised christians tolerate Numerology because it is popular with new-agey hippy types.

@Andym. You make a good point about staying within other’s boundaries, something I would have thought to be appealing to the religious with their love of control freakery.

Angela: The irony of it is that the writers of the Bible were obviously aware of the significance of such numbers as three, four, seven, twelve, forty, and so on, so there is no evidence of a “divine hand” in their use!

24. Cali Ron says:

As a child I was taught that it was normal to have doubts in god and the bible, but that was the devil talking and I had to prey harder and strive more to be “right ” in god’s eyes.