Meet hypocrite of the Week: Governor Robert Bentley

Meet hypocrite of the Week: Governor Robert Bentley

If there aren’t any red faces among members of the Christian Coalition of Alabama, then there damn well ought to be, for a man they gave a Statesmanship Award back in 2009 is now battling to keep his hold on his post of  state Governor amidst allegations of infidelity, prompting this Gawker headline:

headline

Apart from being Governor, Bentley, a 73-year-old Republican, is – according to this blog – a deacon and Sunday school teacher at the First Baptist Church of Tuscaloosa and  he has served on the church’s Youth for Christ Advisory and Family Counseling Advisory boards.

Back in January 2011, after he was elected but before he took office, Bentley spoke at Martin Luther King Jr’s Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church. What he said offended a lot of people.

There may be some people here today who do not have living within them the Holy Spirit. But if you have been adopted in God’s family like I have …. and the Holy Spirit lives within you just like the Holy Spirit lives within me, then you know what that makes? It makes you and me brothers. And it makes you and me brother and sister.

Bentley added:

Now I will have to say that, if we don’t have the same daddy, we’re not brothers and sisters. So anybody here today who has not accepted Jesus Christ as their savior, I’m telling you, you’re not my brother and you’re not my sister, and I want to be your brother.

Bentley is also a homophobic misogynist. This from Salon:

Bentley has been leading the charge in the Republican war on birth control. Back in August, Bentley used the anti-Planned Parenthood hoax videos as a pretext to cut low income women off from birth control and other gynecological care, by banning Medicaid patients from going to Planned Parenthood.

A federal judge overturned Bentley’s decision, forcing the state to pay for Planned Parenthood’s legal fees. That’s Gov Bentley for you: Wasting taxpayer money just to keep as many women as possible from getting birth control.

Bentley has also made it his mission to punish people for their consenting same-sex relationships. As Rachel Maddow explained on her Wednesday night show, Bentley’s ‘administration filed a Supreme Court brief that said marriages between same-sex couples should not even be thought of as marriages, they should be seen as social experiments’.

According to this report, Bentley denied at a news conference on Wednesday that he and a top aide had a sexual affair after explicit recordings of him became public.

mason_rebekah

Bentley did not deny the legitimacy of the recordings or that it was his voice but told the press that they were made two years ago and, since then, he has made apologies to his family and that of the aide, Rebekah Mason, above, a former spokeswoman and policy adviser who was named here as “one of the 50 most powerful & influential people in Alabama”.

I am truly sorry, and I accept full responsibility. Today, I want to apologise to the people of Alabama.

But throughout the news conference, he maintained that the relationship never got physical.

I want everyone to know, though, that I have never had a physical affair with Mrs Mason.

One recording says otherwise:

When I stand behind you, and I put my arms around you, and I put my hands on your breasts, and I put my hands (unintelligible) and just pull you real close. I love that, too.

It was not clear from the recording alone who the governor was talking to.

Asked how that did not speak to a physical relationship, Bentley said:

Well, what I’m saying is there was no sexual activity.

He did not elaborate on what that meant.

Bentley, who was divorced from his wife last year, now has other woes.

According to this report, the state auditor of Alabama, Jim Zeigler,  has filed an ethics violations report against him, initiating a legal investigation into “misuse of state property” as well as the legality of his senior political adviser Rebekah Caldwell Mason’s status as either a public official or a lobbyist.

Said Zeigler:

The Governor continues to disgrace the state of Alabama, and in my official capacity as state auditor, I am required to report these suspected violations. It is clear that he is misleading the people of the state about the nature of his relationship, but it is also clear that Ms. Mason is required to either be classified as a public official, or file as a lobbyist, in her capacity as an advisor who is paid by an outside source.

9 responses to “Meet hypocrite of the Week: Governor Robert Bentley”

1. Vanity Unfair says:

“‘Well, what I’m saying is there was no sexual activity.’
    He did not elaborate on what that meant.”

Obviously it means, “I did not have sexual relations with that woman.” And we all know what that means.

2. Smokey says:

The bigoted old bugger probably couldn’t get it up.

3. David Anderson says:

“If there aren’t any red faces among members of the Christian Coalition of Alabama,…”

You mean red necks Barry.

Ah well, if Governor Bentley can’t be relied upon to uphold christian values, then David Cameron can. Apparently we in the UK must ‘stand together’ to defend our christian way of life from terrorists.

@AgentCormac: And Justin Welby is offering some profound comments: we must prefer hope over fear. Do they get paid for producing these banalities?

There’s been massive overreaction to events in Brussels (why am I not surprised?), which all plays into the hands of those who feed off of people’s grief and fears. I made the mistake of posting such thoughts on the Mail site, in answer to the supporters of Donald Trump, and got what I asked for! People in Northern Ireland and Northern Spain had to deal for years with proper, organized terrorists; these Muslims are in no way an ISIS “cell”, but a rag tag bunch of idiots barely capable of wiping their own arses. Obviously, they can do an enormous amount of damage, and cause widespread panic, as could any group of schoolboys with the ability to make home-made explosives, but the press and TV news sources feed public grief and anxiety for their own ends, and politicians and prelates rub their hands together in glee, and delight in making their earnest and “sincere” pronouncements whilst whittling away at our remaining freedoms with relish!

7. Daz says:

From Agent Cormac’s link:

The prime minister said Britain should be proud of being a “Christian country with Christian values”.

 ”But they are also values that speak to everyone in Britain – to people of every faith and none,” he continued.”

Which, erm, I um… Whut?

How is it a Christian country, when its shared values are those held by people of many faiths and of none? Does this work for other viewpoints? “This is a Marmite-loving country because those who like Marmite and those who dislike it, share the same non-Marmite-related values”

8. John says:

The truth is that Cameron is as big a trickster as Welby and his mate Franky at the Vatican. As far as I am concerned, they – and others like them – can keep their “traditional” “message” to themselves.
    They have nothing to say that I or any rational person wants to hear.
    It is politicians like Cameron who have laid the groundwork for terrorism.
    They bear substantial responsibility for it – not us.
    “Who was behind the setting-up of ISIS?” is the question to be asked.
    If Cameron really wants to defend our values, he should threaten to bomb Mecca the next time an islamist-inspired act of terrorism takes place.

9. Lucy1 says:

@broga
    “Do they get paid for producing these banalities?” of course they do, handsomely and in some cases get to live in palaces…