Die-with-dignity former nun targeted by religious fanatics

Die-with-dignity former nun targeted by religious fanatics

A right-to-die campaigner and former nun Kate Tobin, 50, above, claims she has been targeted by ‘religious fanatics’ who say it’s wrong for her to want to take her own life.

The Irish Mirror reports that Tobin, from Clonroche in Wexford, wants to die with dignity before her Multiple Sclerosis takes over completely.

But the 50-year-old ex-nun from Clonroche, Wexford, claimed she has been bullied by some over her choice

I was a hospice nurse and a cancer nurse so I know what the end of life is like. I decided that when my MS gets worse I want to die on my own terms.

She added:

I’ve had people call to my door and religious fanatics post me letters and holy water saying that it’s wrong and not what God wants. They don’t consider my background as a nun.

When I’ve tried to have fundraisers I’ve had people ask why would they give me money if I’m going to kill myself.

I’ve also had a lady give me the Samaritans’ number and called again to check if I had phoned them.

Kate was diagnosed with the degenerative neurological condition four years ago and she has to take up to 50 tablets a day and needs a wheelchair.
She also has other symptoms such as problems with her speech, spasms, balance and is in a great deal of pain.

She has been forced to give up work and must rely on her disability allowance.

After buying specially-adapted furniture for her home, she has racked up more than €20,000 (£15,700) in debts and says the worry is only making things worse.

Tobin has made it clear she does not want to end her life immediately but says people struggle with the idea of assisted suicide.

I want to pick my own coffin and plan my own funeral. I don’t sleep worrying about how much money I owe. I want to die on my own terms and if my speech goes completely that’ll be a big loss for me.

People don’t see the difference between the right-to-die and suicide.

She added:

I don’t know what else I can do but can anybody help me out and spare a bit of money and give me a piece of life?

Hat tip: Peter Sykes

8 responses to “Die-with-dignity former nun targeted by religious fanatics”

The abuse of this pitiful woman by religious sadists, in pursuit of their insistence that they will decide how the rest of us live and die, exemplifies a certain kind of religious belief. To hell with what you or I want, these religious thugs are determined to force their wishes on the rest of us.

I watched my mother die, incontinent, constantly sick and desperate for the end of her life. As she, an independent woman, said, “This is not a life for me. It gives me nothing but pain and the terrible burden of knowing what I am placing on the people nearest to me.” She made me promise no clergyman would have any part to play in her funeral.

Who are these people who think the can decide what the rest of us want? They are certainly cruel, they show neither understanding nor pity, and yet they preach about the God of love, about gentle Jesus.

They are Christian ghouls, savouring the prolonged suffering of the most helpless. They deserve no consideration for their selfish beliefs. They should be treated as pariahs in any decent society.

2. sailor1031 says:

All those who believe in the sanctity of life, and that no-one should have the right to determine when their own life should end, should have to register with a draft board. Then when people are needed to clean up the puke, hustle the bedpans and wipe the asses of those who can no longer do it for themselves they should be assigned to carry out these necessary functions for free. Under the supervision of licensed caregivers. They can also be called upon to clean up after miscarriages and be surrogate mothers for those who cannot have children.

How many of them would be on the draft list do you think, in contrast to the caring people who are already doing these things?

3. Robster says:

As we speak, deep in a darkened bunker, under an impressive looking religious facility with a bell, a group of extra special clergies gather each day to discuss that day’s hateful things to direct at the nurse as she looks to her future which ultimately is no one’s concern but hers. Bugger off idiots and mind your own bloody business.

4. Bosty says:

Aaaaaah but you are all missing the point which is that the pious want you to die in desperation and unbearable agony so that you plead for god to take you thereby declaring your belief in god. This is how the pious ensure that you die declaring the existence of god. It’s a horrible method of forcing confessions out of suspected waverers or unbelievers. Evil bastards.

5. Graham Martin-Royle says:

Religious love, isn’t it wonderful! Don’t these people get it, it’s not their life. If they wish to carry on in agony, that’s their decision & I support it. But they have no right to demand that anyone else has to follow the commands of their religion.

6. Walt Sautter says:

Inspired by “The Gospel” – “The Adventures of Jesus” at https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/174409

7. Dianne Leonard says:

After dealing with my dad, who was kept alive against his will, I decided that (1) I would make the decision for when to die and how, and (2) I would donate my body to the local medical school. I’ve gotten negative comments about both, but I am peaceful now. This is what I wanted. In addition, the body donation is free, and the med school will cremate the body after it’s used and scatter the ashes at sea. All for free. They also invite family members to come along on the boat. It’s good to make this type of decision, and I don’t listen to the nay-sayers.

8. Cali Ron says:

I watched my father die a long, slow and agonizing death from cancer with my mother emptying the stomach pump and all that comes with in home hospice. I strongly support the right to die for terminally ill and carry a donor card with my license. The religious have no more right to tell you how to die than they do to tell you how to live. I hope this lady gets lots of donations and tells them to shove it.