Texas voters reject deranged education board candidate

Texas voters reject deranged education board candidate

Mary Lou Bruner, above, a 69-year-old former schoolteacher, this week lost her bid to for a seat on the powerful Texas State Board of Education.

A few months ago it seemed certain that she would be elected, but it soon came to light that Bruner was completely off her trolley, as one of her Facebook post below proves.

Bruner-Conspiracy-Oct-26-2015

According to this report, Bruner had been the front-runner for a place on the board that sets curriculum and textbook standards for more than 5 million schoolchildren. But her lead unraveled as old Facebook posts in which she peddled conspiracy theories and fringe political screeds drew greater attention and ridicule.

Voters instead picked Keven Ellis, a local school board president who ran a mainstream campaign, for the Republican nomination. He is now an automatic favorite to win in November in the staunchly conservative East Texas district.

Among Bruner’s since-deleted posts was that Democrats killed John F Kennedy, that climate change is a hoax concocted by Karl Marx, and that Obama’s health care overhaul was an orchestrated plot to wipe 200 million people from the US population. She also wrote that the flood from the biblical story of Noah’s Ark is what destroyed the dinosaurs — and not a meteor as “concocted” by atheists.

Some of the posts were several years old but captured by the Texas Freedom Network, left-leaning watchdog of the state education board.

Said Kathy Miller, president of the Texas Freedom Network:

Texas escaped an education train wreck . If Bruner had ultimately won election to the board, she would have instantly become the most embarrassingly uninformed and divisive member on a board that already too often puts politics ahead of making sure our kids get a sound education.

Bruner’s election would have been stunning, even given that the Texas State Board of Education was chaired until 2011 by a creationist who tried weakening evolution lessons in science classrooms. The 15-member board has more recently fought over whether history textbooks promote Islam or contain anti-American biases.

Commenting on her Facebook posts, Bruner said:

When I wrote those things, I wasn’t even intending to run for the State Board of Education. I had no idea that I would. I was actually calling people and trying to get them to run – people with my values – and I couldn’t find anyone. They kept saying, ‘Well, why don’t you run?’.

9 responses to “Texas voters reject deranged education board candidate”

You couldn’t make it up, could you? I only realized the other day that Donald Trump had received a rousing endorsement from none other than right-wing heavyweight, Sarah Palin. Some of this is totally incomprehensible, but it seems to mean something to the Republicans in the crowd!

Comment: “it’s unbelievable. It’s like we held a raffle to get the two stupidest people to be on stage together.”

2. Vanity Unfair says:

“I was actually calling people and trying to get them to run – people with my values – and I couldn’t find anyone.”
    That’s the only comprehensible part of the report.

I think she is mentally ill: full blown delusions caused by her Christian beliefs. An example of what religion can do and why children should not be exposed to it.

4. CoastalMaineBird says:

When I wrote those things, I wasn’t even intending to run

Wow. She’s not sorry she said those things.

She’s sorry she got caught.

5. sailor1031 says:

Seems like a pretty average texan to me – what’s the problem? After all she was a teacher for how many years?

6. Laura Roberts says:

@sailor1031: my thoughts as well. Too bad she’s female, else Trump would make her his running mate.

You have to feel sorry for the Americans, but don’t laugh too soon; in a week’s time WE will have Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Chancellor Michael Gove!

8. Har Davids says:

Another idiot who seems to be more obsessed by sex than just everybody she’s accusing of sexual deviation. Maybe it’s frustration because she isn’t getting any action in the sack.

9. Smokey says:

She even looks like a schoolteacher.