Jewish school in London slammed for promoting sexism

Jewish school in London slammed for promoting sexism

A Jewish boys’ school in London has been criticised by education watchdog Ofsted after it discovered pupils share a ‘universal view’ that a woman’s only role is to:

Look after children, clean the house and cook.

Beis Aharon School in Stamford Hill, north London was visited by inspectors from Ofsted who found it did not meet the required standards for an independent school.

The school, which charges annual fees of £2,860, was found to be prioritising the “ethos of its faith” over educational standards and not preparing children for life in modern British society.

The Ofted report said:

In discussions, the majority of pupils still express views about the roles of women and men that indicate that the school does not prepare them for the reality of life in modern British society.

Inspectors said pupils were also unable to show mutual respect and tolerance to people of different faiths and found their knowledge of different religions and cultures was “very limited”.

The report also found that the school continues to allocate just one hour a day to secular education, which fails to conform to the school’s own policy of a “broad and balanced curriculum”.

Inspectors also reportedly found a reading book used in a Year Four lesson with the word “Christmas” crossed out.

The school was given a list of 34 points from The Education (Independent School Standards) Regulation 2014 to make sure they improve.

20 responses to “Jewish school in London slammed for promoting sexism”

1. CoastalMaineBird says:

Imagine my surprise.

WOW! Who believe it!! A school run by raging bigots, was teaching the kids raging bigotry!!!! What a surprise!!

“Look after children, clean the house and cook.” They missed out some bits or perhaps just left them unstated. For example: its acceptable to beat your wife; if your wife has money when you marry then that becomes yours; she must keep quiet and admire the husband however stupid his comments and she must be accessible for sex regardless of what she wants.

“Education Watchfog” – hahaha. Talk about a Freudian slip!

My Christian friends ALWAYS cross out the word “Merry” on offending cards, and insert “Blessed” or something similar, believe it or not. Pedantic doesn’t even begin to describe them!

6. Cali Ron says:

Love the picture and slogan Barry.

One hour of actual education and hours of religious indoctrination. I pity those poor deluded children who someday will need a job and be to uneducated to get a decent one. I suppose most will become rabbis and pass on their delusions and ignorance to the next generation.

Religion and education are like oil and vinegar, they don’t mix well. The more educated you are the less likely you are to be religious, hence, religion tries to usurp education or deny it, like those muslims who won’t let girls attend school. I believe education is the most powerful tool there is against religion and the internet has made it much more widely available. Hope for mankind!

7. Stephen Mynett says:

Barriejohn, pedantry can work two ways though. There are still some hotels that have Christian Name on the check in card, I always cross out the Christian and replace it with Given or Forename.
    One snotty receptionist told me that Stephen was the name I was christened with and so her form was correct. Luckily I could respond that I had never been christened. There have been many times I have thanked my parents for waiting until their children were old enough to decide, it is just a pity my sister chose the road to hell.

Shut them down. Simple as. If this was a state school teaching that women are born to serve I have a feeling the doors would have been locked already. But yet again religion is given preferential treatment for fear of upsetting sensibilities and thereby getting in the way of the indoctrination process. When will we stop treating these evil bastards with kid gloves and make them every bit as accountable as any other organisation?

BTW, I’m with Cali Ron – there is hope for mankind!

9. Barry Duke says:

Fixed BarrieJohn. When I posted this I was running late for a dentist’s appointment and hadn’t time to double check before I flew out the door.

10. sailor1031 says:

“Pupils universally consider that the role of women is to ‘look after children, clean the house and cook’, while men ‘go to work’.”

Unlike hasidic women whose role is to look after children, clean the house, cook and go to work while men do nothing but study torah

Not only are gender stereotypes reinforced but all aspects of the ‘curriculum’ are closely monitored.A secular Jewish friend of mine who was trained to teach deaf children worked in such a school in North London, but before he was allowed anywhere near the kids he was warned never to mention such things as dinosaurs, music,fossils or even the digestive system! The poor kids were seen solely as things that needed careful brainwashing so that they could maintain the traditions into the next generation. It was – and still is – a scandal. It was – and still is – a form of child abuse.

1859: That’s an interesting point, and it also reflects the way that Christians whom I knew treated their children. They were not considered to be individual human beings with their own lives to live, but “gifts from God” to be used to evangelize fellow-schoolchildren and their parents; fill the Sunday School; become future “leaders” amongst the Brethren (and a big disappointment if they weren’t), and missionaries, teachers, etc, spreading the Gospel far and wide. Many would “dedicate their children to the Lord” when infants (in the absence of child baptism), especially if they had experienced a difficult birth or the child had been ill, as this was all taken as a sign that God had some “special work” for their child to do. Can you imagine what it must be like to grow up in an environment like that, with those sort of pressures and expectations? It is, indeed, a form of child abuse, but they will never see that.

@ barriejohn: Doesn’t the UN Declaration of the Rights of the Child have something to say about this sort of thing? But, realistically, how can anyone stop parents (in your case ‘Brethren’) from filling their children’s minds with any superstition they choose? The other big question is just how effective can the school inspection system be? If, for example, a random inspection does indeed show the ‘school’ is still deliberately hammering religious and social stereotypes into the minds of its pupils, it will be threatened with forcible closure. The consequence will be a proliferation of ‘schools on the move’ – the same narrow-minded, religious superstition being taught in a series of randomly selected houses. I’m sure this has already started. I just can’t see any way the state – or society – can protect children from this sort of intellectual and emotional abuse.

@1859: I agree. Only diehard believers in the most extreme totalitarian system would favour taking children away from their parents and raising them in state orphanages! I would like to see all children attending state schools, though, and the NEAREST school as well – as we always used to, when schools were the hub of the local community. Did you know that the coalition government decided not to abolish private education in the 1944 Education Act as RAB Butler considered that the new state system would be so preferential that private schools would “wither on the vine”? How wrong he was!

Home schooling, as you rightly point out, is fraught with dangers:

@barriejohn
    That’s a bit bloody rich coming from Nicky Morgan – I’m sure she thinks that home schooling by evangelical christian parents is just fine. It’s children being indoctrinated with the wrong kind of religion that she’s actually worried about.

While religion enjoys a privileged position with powerful sycophants both inside and outside of government to maintain that position, we shall never have a truly secular, egalitarian curriculum, nor one law for all. Any attempts to remove religious privilege – including the unelected “Lords spiritual” from the House of Lords – is stymied by those who want religion to be free to indoctrinate.

Home Schooling? We could never have given our children the breadth and detail that they got in school. And we are both graduates. You just need to consider in your mind the subjects a school covers. And that leaves aside the friendships, sport and extra curricular activities.

I can’t understand how parents go about providing a rounded education. But maybe that isn’t their intention. Perhaps they, or some of them, want to indoctrinate their children and protect them from challenging opinions.

18. Dianne Leonard says:

Another side of this is that in fundamentalist schools, kids are not allowed to use computers, either at home or in school. This cripples them for any higher education and getting a job. As a (physical) crip, I think that crippling a child’s mind is thousands of times worse than being physically crippled. In the U.S., there are many such schools and people, and we will see the results of this mis-education in years to come.

Jonny Scaramanga has loads to say about the evils of home schooling/Christian education on his excellent blog, as I am sure that many are aware:

20. Stephen Mynett says:

Dianne Leonard, as another cripple I was home schooled for a few years, my condition made normal schooling impossible in the sixties. Luckily I had good parents, i could read well before I was five and my tutor was state supplied and the wife of a local headmaster. I learned a lot of maths and English, plus useful geography and other stuff. My teacher also arranged for me to spend a few days at her husbands school but while ahead academically by the time I reached a senior school I was sadly lacking in social skills as I had not had the chance to use them, despite efforts from my tutor and parents.
    I was lucky as my parents wanted me to have a good education and I still maintain they did the right thing at the time. The difference between my home schooling and that of the religionists is that everyone attempted to give me a good all round education, the religionists do not, they indoctrinate and are guilty of child abuse.