Donald Trump is ‘born again’ and is now a ‘baby Christian’

Donald Trump is ‘born again’ and is now a ‘baby Christian’

News of the Trump finding Jesus comes to us comes to from an impeccable source: James C Dobson, one of America’s leading evangelicals, who claims that the wannabe US President had recently come ‘to accept a relationship with Christ’ and is now ‘a baby Christian’.

According to this report, Dobson, the founder of a virulently anti-gay outfit called Focus on the Family, had a meeting with Donald Trump in New York on Tuesday, along with hundreds of Christian conservatives.

In an interview recorded at the event by a Pennsylvania pastor, the Rev. Michael Anthony, Dobson said he knew the person who had led Trump to Christ, though he did not name him.

I don’t know when it was, but it has not been long. I believe he really made a commitment … he’s a baby Christian.

Anthony posted the interview to his blog on Friday. Dobson could not be reached on Saturday, and Hope Hicks, the Trump campaign spokeswoman, did not respond Saturday to a request for details.

James C Dobson

James C Dobson

Trump stumbled at times last year when speaking about faith. At one point he said that he had never asked for God’s forgiveness. And after repeating on the campaign trail that the Bible was his favourite book, ahead of his own Art of the Deal, Trump declined to name a favorite verse.

The Bible means a lot to me, but I don’t want to get into specifics.

Trump, a Presbyterian, questioned the faith of Hillary Clinton, a Methodist, at a meeting with a smaller group of evangelical leaders on Tuesday, saying:

We don’t know anything about Hillary in terms of religion.

During the New York meeting, Trump made no mention of being “born again”.

It is a possibility certain to cause chortles in some corners, but it could also open doors in others for the thrice-married presumptive Republican nominee for President.

For evangelicals, “accepting Christ” is at the heart of becoming a genuine Christian, and refers to acknowledging sin and declaring the need for Jesus Christ as savior.

Said Kedron Bardwell, a political science professor at Simpson College in Iowa, who is the son of an evangelical pastor:

The expectation evangelicals have is of a radical change, a 180-degree turn from the life of sin to following Christ.

With new believers, this is often done in prayer with another Christian, which may have been what Dr Dobson was referring to when he said that he knew the person who had “led him to Christ”.

Trump won a majority of evangelical voters in the Republican primaries, though some prominent conservative Christian leaders kept their distance. Dobson, in fact, endorsed Senator Ted Cruz.

In his interview, Dobson conceded that Trump did not exactly fit the typical mold of an evangelical.

He used the word ‘hell’ four or five times. He doesn’t know our language.

And there was silly me thinking that “hell” was central to evangelical discourse.

He added that Trump:

Refers a lot to religion and not much to faith and belief.

Dobson joked that Christians should take it easy on Trump for what some might perceive as slip-ups.

You got to cut him some slack. He didn’t grow up like we did.

Anthony referred to the Damascus-road conversion of Saul, a zealous Pharisee, who later became the Apostle Paul:

He didn’t know the language either.

Dobson agreed.

I think there’s hope for him. And I think there’s hope for us.

But not so much for gays, women, Mexicans and a whole raft of others the blond blowhard disapproves of.

17 responses to “Donald Trump is ‘born again’ and is now a ‘baby Christian’”

This is great news. From now on, when Trump is physically attacked while electioneering he’ll be “turning the other cheek” instead of having people beaten up and ejected from his meetings. I look forward to seeing it!

I wouldn’t have thought that even evangelical Christians would be taken in by Trump’s seeing the light. I suspect that they are as convinced about Trump’s conversion as he is about the truth of his favourite book, the bible, which he seems not to have read. However, there are gains for both sides in going along with the pretence.

Funnily enough, Dobson is a “switcher”, and wrote a book, “Dare to Discipline” (i.e. “Dare to Thrash”), due to his horror at Dr Spock’s progressive ideas:

Reviewers:

# I read this book at the same time I read Cesar Milan’s book on training puppies – and I have to say if you compare the two/ or if you followed each approach/ “Dare to Disc.” with the kids and Cesar’s approach with the dog – I believe the dog would be the one living the better life.

# This book did more damage for my family than I care to illuminate.

Some of the other reviews are well worth reading!

If Trump thought it would help him get elected he’d say he’s converted to islam. Hateful charlatan.

5. Such a bouncing Christian baby!

Trump – an odious, intellectually-compromised, vain, attention-seeking buffoon who will say ANYTHING to get votes. I hope the American people consign him to history’s dustbin of wannabes.

@barriejohn:

“I read this book at the same time I read Cesar Milan’s book on training puppies”

Cesar Milan’s ideas have now been significantly updated. But that’s the difference with science based knowledge and religion. The science leads to change. Religion is mired in the distant past.

Broga: See my comments on the “Wonderful Wife Whips Wailing Waifs” thread this morning, re Pavlov and Skinner. As I say there, the FACTS (scientifically verified) have been known for almost two hundred years now, but why let that cloud your judgment!

9. remigius says:

I’ve never understood this obsession with being born again. Surely it would make more sense to just grow up.

10. remigius says:

And speaking of born agains who can’t/won’t grow up – our favourite prophet has made another uncannily inaccurate prediction…

11. Laura Roberts says:

Seems about right: the rest of the GOP wants to get rid of him, and I imagine they’re afraid the only conservatives likely to vote in the fall are the non-religious/fiscal conservatives who care about congressional races. He needs to get in the GOP’s good graces, and the GOP needs gullible voters to come out of the woodwork to save their congress critters. Nothing brings out the gullible like a religious conversion.

Remigius: He should have known that the result would be Out!

13. So it turns out that Trump is a Christian and Obumba is a Muslim. We’ll probably discover next that Hilary is a bleedin’ Satanist. What, oh what is the world coming to?

14. Peter Sykes says:

“Born again?! No, I’m not. Excuse me for getting it right the first time.” – Dennis Miller

15. Vanity Unfair says:

Good news for the poor:
    Luke 18:22 (and elsewhere)
    “Now when Jesus heard these things, he said unto him, Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.”

16. […] And she poo-poohed James C Dobson’s claim that Trump was now a “born-again” Christian. […]