Pastor jailed for stealing over £4-million from UK schools

Pastor jailed for stealing over £4-million from UK schools

Nigerian pastor Sam Kayode, above, has begun a nine-year jail sentence for stealing millions from the UK education system.

In what is believed to be the biggest fraud case of its kind, the free-spending pastor nicked more than £4-million from a chain of academies, the Haberdashers’ Aske’s state schools in south-east London.

Woolwich Crown Court was told that, on a salary of just £57,000 as an accounts manager for the schools, Kayode spent lavishly on luxury cars, property, designer clothes and women. He wore £500 Gucci shoes and carried a Louis Vuitton briefcase.

Kayode, 60, who has four children and is from Ilford, East London, was “dishonest”, “greedy” and possibly even a bigamist.

When the thefts were discovered, he tried to blame his late wife Grace and a junior member of his office staff.

Kayode, who also worked as a pastor for London’s Christ Apostolic Church, was even asked to lecture other schools about their finances. His fraud was exposed when a school cleaner found some paperwork and alerted the new head of finance who was already suspicious about Kayode.

He was found guilty of obtaining £150,000 by theft and £3.95million by fraud. Haberdasher’s Aske’s has recovered just £800,000.

When he was Education Secretary, Michael Gove often praised the three academies, run by the Haberdashers’ Aske’s Federation.

During the course of his trial it was reported here that Kayode spent cash at a rate of up to £98,000 a month, some on private healthcare for his dying first wife Grace in England – while spiriting more away to a secret second wife in Nigeria.

Kayode, 60, would arrive late each day – wearing Gucci and Versace – for his £57,000-a-year job. He would work late locked in his office, refusing to share details of the schools’ finances with his bosses, the jury was told.

When he was arrested he had a new Mercedes, a new £40,000 Infiniti luxury car, an Audi TT sports car, at least four properties in Britain and more in Nigeria. He had also made plans to move permanently to Africa with his younger second wife.

Prosecutor James Thacker told the jury:

Samuel Kayode used his position to defraud over £4million. It was spent on luxury motor vehicles, property, and sent to Nigeria. His dishonesty and sheer greed is scandalous. It is believed to be Britain’s biggest education fraud.

Kayode was able to move huge sums of school money through the BACS financial system, allegedly arranging it so he alone could authorise payments rather than the usual system requiring two signatures.

Analysis of Kayode’s work computer and other material revealed his lavish spending and how money had been transferred directly from the school into his private joint account with his wife in London, Grace, who died aged 53 in 2013.

Stolen money funded private healthcare for her, it was claimed. It was alleged that more money was ‘laundered’ by being moved on to a Nigerian business called Samak – after his own name, Sam A Kayode.

34 responses to “Pastor jailed for stealing over £4-million from UK schools”

1. CoastalMaineBird says:

Wile E. Kayode

Does being religious tend to make you dishonest, mean and hateful, or does being dishonest, mean and hateful make you religious?

I wonder how many others are milking the system under the aegis of religion? I regard the bishops in the Lords on £300 a day, and not representing me or millions of other secularists, as milking the system. They are being paid to represent the superstitious views of a minority.

3. Vanity Unfair says:

Isn’t education wonderful?
    Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Infiniti, Gucci, Versace, Louis Vuitton and all on £57,000 p.a. It’s no wonder Michael Gove was impressed.
    Surely someone on the staff must have wondered why he didn’t “share details of the schools’ finances with his bosses.”
    Let’s hope the cleaner was suitably rewarded and might even take over his lectures to other schools.

Pastor Sam Kayode = A spooky rat, dames

5. Trevor Blake says:

If I worked in a shoe store, and shoes went missing, and the missing shoes were in my house, I’d probably be guilty of theft. If I worked as a musician, and I was paid to play a concert on Wednesday but I stayed home instead, I’d probably be guilty of theft.

But if I were clergy and people gave me money for ‘spreading the gospel’ or ‘prayer sessions’ then how can it be demonstrated, ever, that I did not do what I was paid for. Clergy are always adamant we should not quantify their work: if they use he money to feed the hungry or evangelize on television or have a ‘prayer retreat’ then these are all equally religious.

Either all clergy with more than a beggar bowl and a single suit of clothes should start doing time or Pastor Kayode should go free. I know which I’d prefer.

6. Cali Ron says:

A man can steal more money with a briefcase than with a gun. Don Henley. If that briefcase is a Louis Vuitton he’ll look quite stylish while doing it. And all he has to do is ask his sky fairy for forgiveness and it’s high rolling to heaven. Maybe not so easy with the justice system.

How bad must the oversight be to have that much stolen without any body noticing.

7. RussellW says:

How does anyone steal that much money without the auditors noticing. Are there auditors in the UK system, perhaps it’s self regulated?

His fraud was exposed by a school cleaner? Jeeeez! Perhaps the accountants should do the cleaning.

Russell W: There seems to be little oversight or accountability where academies and “free schools” are concerned. How this is tolerated is beyond me.

So surprised!!! A con man is caught being a crook!!!

10. RussellW says:

barriejohn,

Apparently not. I’m a retired accountant btw, my pet theory for the cause of so many recent financial scandals is the elimination of middle management from many organisations. In other words there’s not enough oversight of the system.

@RussellW : I agree. I wonder also whether there is a lack of concern and a casual approach to money that is different to “the old days” I can remember spending an entire weekend, ploughing through papers, because the books wouldn’t balance by a few quid.

12. pinecone says:

OT – sorry.
    On the BBC Website this morning I found the link below.
    Apparently lots of people in the UK don’t understand islam and are therefore ignorant. Look elsewhere on the BBC News Website and you can see why people in the UK do truly understand islam. They understand that islam is an evil cult of death destruction and submission bent on ruining everything that is good in the world.

13. Stephen Mynett says:

OT but interesting, the BBC are running an online poll “would the world be more peaceful without religion.”: http://www.bbc.co.uk/guides/zcnm82p

The downside is that, unlike many online polls, no results are shown after you vote. I wonder if the BBC are worried they may not like the answer.

14. RussellW says:

Broga,

Those were the days, now it’s all software.Most people in organisations these days don’t have even have a basic understanding of accounting. The positions of assistant accountant and senior clerk have long since disappeared. So when there’s an error it spreads throughout the system or if an employee is stealing, it’s often,as in above case, only detected by chance. “How can Munchausen afford that Masserati?”

A few years ago my utility company sent me pages of absolute crap invoices, corrections of ‘corrections’.
    I rang the company and consulted with a ‘consultant’. After bumbling around trying to explain the situation she admitted that she had absolutely no idea and said that ‘You would need an accounting diploma to understand all this” I replied that I have a diploma of accounting and it didn’t make any difference.

Naturally I transferred to another company.

15. pinecone says:

Stephen Mynett – I just voted YES.
    I suspect that the well organised PR Departments of the various religions will be contacting their regiments of stupefied ensnared slaves demand they vote NO.

And I guess the BBC will not publish the results of the ‘TEST’ if they YES voters have it.

16. pinecone says:

“It is believed to be Britain’s biggest education fraud”.
    Well I suggest the authories look a bit closer because if you can get away with nearly £4Mega and only be foiled by the cleaner then there are going to be some bigger ones going on.

17. pinecone says:

So now I have to pay for his Food and Board for the next 9 years. Then he will walk free to enjoy the money he has squirrelled away an offshore account.

Bastard. Nine years is no real deterrent.
    It almost makes me think that the amputation of his theiving hands is a more suitable punishment … or is that too islamic.

I think such people should be tattooed … ‘Theiving Bastard’ inscribed on his forehead seems appropriate to me.

@RussellW: Consultants! We used to have them forced on us. One pair arrived and wandered around talking to “the staff.” One of them came to a retirement [party and got mildly pissed while saying, ” I really shouldn’t have any more.”

I asked him, in his state of mild intoxication” how he arrived at his advice to us after a couple of weeks. He said we just ask your staff what they think and then dress it up in fancy language. Never fails. Then he said, “Shall I tell you the best source if you want to get the real stuff?” I couldn’t wait.

He said, “Always ask the basic grade staff. They know the detail and they are not admirers of management.” Then you thank us for what you know already. And best of all we don’t have to take action on any of it.

I’m delighted to be retired.

19. H3r3tic says:

Just cast my vote on the BBC site – 79% say yes at present.

20. Stephen Mynett says:

As Pinecone said, the Religionist PR mafia will be out in force soon to redress the balance.
    Interesting that the BBC are now showing the results, something must have gone wrong.

21. Edmop says:

@pinecone:
    That tattoo idea of yours, I don’t think you have thought that through. 🙂

22. Lurker111 says:

@CoastalMaineBird

“Does being religious tend to make you dishonest[?]”

Being religious means you’re already at least dishonest with yourself. That this trait often spills over into other aspects of your life should not be a surprise.

BTW: Nigerian + pastor + money = BIG RED FLAGS.

Finally, in Nigeria itself, there seems to be some impetus against corruption, but we’ll have to see how that works out.

23. pinecone says:

@Edmop
    How so?

24. david harcombe says:

Nine years. No, he’ll serve about four, probably in a holiday camp type “prison” and then be off to rob some other buggers under the banner of the almighty. Just recently we had that Batmansomething woman who walks about like a mobile brightly patterned bell tent who took us for another wad of cash. Where is she now? Still living it up off our backs. The fat bag.
    They may have come from the third world hell holes but they sure as hell know how to thieve from first world fools.

25. Peter Sykes says:

“would the world be more peaceful without religion?”
    At the last look it 85% Yes, 15% No.
    Surprised the Beeb are showing the results.

26. david harcombe says:

The Beeb would not have shown it if the results had been the exact reverse!An 85% yes suits their agenda perfectly.

27. pinecone says:

harcombe – look again.
    85% say the world would be more peaceful WITHOUT religion.
    But will the BBC be brave enough to ask the question again religion by religion? Starting with this one.
    ‘Would the world be more peaceful without islam’?
    But that survey will never be set up. But I estimate that response would be about 95% YES

28. pinecone says:

Keep your hand on your wallet when the pious are lurking around the place.
    A few years ago I was a Governor of a small Middle England CoE primary school with 39 pupils. I was a Governor because my boys were at that school and I wanted to ensure that the promotion of religion was held in check. The school was short of funds because it was in a well to do village and did not attract many of the extras available to inner city and less prosperous areas. So we Governors tried our best to raise more by whatever means. Now one of us found out that the house next to the school had been, many years ago, donated by the local landowner to the school to house the headteacher. That practice had died out but the house was still being rented out and had been for some time. We found out that the house was being managed by the CoE. So we asked our local vicar, also a governor of the school where the rent money was going and who had the legal right to it. We said the rent money should come into the school fund. He said he was not sure and knew nothing about it. We assigned the task to him and it was minuted but meeting after meeting he ducked, bobbed, weaved and procrastinated failing to provide any information for many many months. Then without any notification the house went on the market and was sold very quickly. All this took place behind a solid firewall of secrecy and we never found out who ordered the sale, where the money went or who was legally entitled to it. No doubt the pious brothers of the CoE snaffled it away. . The vicar was moved on to another parish simultaneously with the sale and his eventual successor, a very nice tea, cucumber sandwich and scone type did not join the Governing body of the school as far as I know. The CoE know very well how to work the system, fog things up and behave very badly whilst smiling unctuously in their false piety. Bastards. Never trust them.

29. Edmop says:

@pinecone
    What colour would you use?

30. pinecone says:

A previous vicar, a cold a skin clad skeleton Albert Steptoe lookalike, was asked by my then fiancee and I to allow our wedding in the rather beautiful village church. We went to see him and he flatly refused on the grounds that I was the spawn of satan because I was a divorcee. I challenged him about that saying that he knew nothing about the reasons for my divorce, my background or anything else. He took an especially nasty pleasure in saying “I will not allow you to marry in this church – never – you broke your godly vows of marriage – you are an evil sinner. I asked him had he forgotten about forgiveness. Not one for impertinence he dismissed us with a wave and strode off into the vestry. He was one of those cold unfeeling resentful ruthless types who would in an earlier time have hunted witches and joyfully burnt them on the village green. A thoroughly nasty man. Well guess what. A few weeks ago I was down at the local pub relating that story to a long standing villager who told me that that vicar had been a rather promiscuous but secretive homosexual. Such bigotry and dishonesty should have been no surprise. But thats the CoE for you. Bad to the bone. As CH said … pity there was no hell for him to go to.

31. pinecone says:

Edmop. Bio-luminescent DayGlo Orange.