Boy was held in chains for weeks in a Nigerian church

Boy was held in chains for weeks in a Nigerian church

The shocking picture above was taken shortly after the nine-year-old was rescued on Friday by Nigerian security forces from the Key of Joy Parish of the Celestial Church of Christ in Ajiwo, in the state of Ogun.

According to this report, Korede Taiwo was chained for weeks at the church and starved.

A statement released by the security forces said the boy had been punished because he repeatedly stole soup from his stepmother, Kehinde. She reported the theft to his father, Taiwo Francis, a pastor in the church. Francis then chained the boy to a log of wood inside a room within the church premises.

The statement added that security officials patrolling the area were informed by a resident of the boy’s plight and he was then rescued, despite opposition from church members.

According to the statement:

The boy was tired and pale, he was not able to talk when we rescued him. On getting to the church there was serious resistance by members, led by the pastor’s wife Kehinde.

The victim was admitted to hospital, where doctors say he is responding to treatment.

Kehinde has been arrested and the boy’s father is currently on the run.

17 responses to “Boy was held in chains for weeks in a Nigerian church”

1. Har Davids says:

The name ‘Key of Joy Parish of the Celestial Church of Christ’ says it all. How come those itty-bitty churches all have the most preposterous names? They help me by being quite open about their conman-ship, but some people seem to be able to find inspiration there.

As for the ‘parents’ of this boy: the least they should get is a lengthy prison-term.

Like many other examples this episode of godly Christian behaviour sickens by its pitiless savagery on a helpless child.

Har Davids: My thoughts exactly, but Nigeria is famed for the totally stupid names of some if its churches.

Other People’s Money has to be my favourite (although Jesus Never Bleep Up is pretty good) – such refreshing honesty from the religious at last.

This is the happy joy you get when you take the worse parts of the ancient customs and blend with the hate & bigotry and superstitions of xtians.

5. Trevor Blake says:

What does the Bible say is to be the punishment for stealing?

“If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep. If a thief be found breaking up, and be smitten that he die, there shall no blood be shed for him. If the sun be risen upon him, there shall be blood shed for him; for he should make full restitution; if he have nothing, then he shall be sold for his theft.” – Exodus 22:1–3

If this boy ‘had nothing’ then according to Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (blessed be his sweet name) slavery in chains is to be his reward.

Or, perhaps Christianity has nothing to do with the Bible?

In some way I’m heartened at the rescue of the boy – I hope he grows up to be a confirmed atheist – but the sadistic suffering inflicted upon him is criminal. And this too heartens me – that a neighbour saw what was happening, called the cops and the state intervened. In times gone by my guess is this sort of ‘recognition’ of religious cruelty by neighbours and the state would not have happened and perhaps would even have been condoned. So I’m glad the kid is now safe and I wish him a speedy recovery, but I also hope his so-called ‘partents’ roast in their christian hell.

7. “Mubutulélé adédé kwasi n’banga jiggy bongo”as they say in Timbuctoo. No truer words were ever spoken.

8. Smokey says:

The “Key of Joy” Church also had a “Padlock of Joy” to go with the “Chains of Joy”.

And the stereotypes of “evil stepmothers” and “pastors/priests doing nasty things to young boys” are now confirmed…

9. I feel sick. says:

If religious parents can do this to a child then it is no surprise that a religious person can murder dozens of strangers .

Smokey: Religion enslaves everyone. As with this “Key of Joy” nonsense, the claims and terminology are the very antithesis if what really goes on. As an atheist, my favourite Biblical quotations are these:

“Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

“One thing I know, that, whereas I was blind, now I see.”

Amen to that!

11. Paul says:

This is just awful. I cannot understand how people behave like this to children, but it isn’t new and it won’t be the last.
    And isn’t this just what religious people and their minds are : chained and in ‘slavery’.

12. Lucy says:

‘Stealing soup’…in most homes this would be called ‘being fed’.

Lucy: Well said.

There’s a better photo of the boy here:

That should be enough to melt anyone’s heart!

The “pastor” has now been arrested:

No doubt he will just pray about the matter, and God will send an angel to deliver him from prison. It’s what he always does.

15. Cali Ron says:

Spare the rod, er, chains and lock, spoil the child. Another example of Christian love. I pity that poor child.

16. Peter Sykes says:

Miss Floribunda Rose:
    Ok, I’ve tried to translate that but given up…