See what happens when an atheist’s donation is rejected

See what happens when an atheist’s donation is rejected

I’d love to be a fly on the wall at the Murrow Indian Children’s Home in Muskogee, Oklahoma, to see the look on the faces of the administrators who foolishly rejected a $100 donation from atheist Matt Wilbourn, above.

Irked by the orphanage’s refusal, Wilbourn reacted promptly by setting up a GoFundMe appeal to raise even more cash for the home – and in one day garnered over $13,000.00!

Wilbourn explained on the donations page:

My wife and I are the founders of the Muskogee Atheist Community. Today, 8/22/2016, I made a donation to the Murrow Indian Children’s Home in Muskogee, OK, in the amount of $100.

I asked them to put it in the name of the Muskogee Atheist Community. I received a phone call an hour later from the lady who accepted my donation earlier telling me that her director asked her to call me and tell me that my donation was not accepted.

She went on to say that they are funded by the American Baptist Churches Association and accepting a donation from atheists would go against everything they believe in. I emailed the director and even told her that I’m raising the amount to $250. I’m awaiting her response …

In this report, Willbourn said:

Do things out of the goodness of you heart whether it’s for religion or not, but don’t let religion come between you and someone who needs help and that’s what has happened here.

He said his wife and fellow atheists were in agreement that he should not take the $100 back and instead raise the amount.

The school’s refusal, he said, has:

Taken food off their plate, clothes off their back and shelter over their heads.

The orphanage’s website says:

God has provided for Murrow Home for over a hundred years through the donors who have helped sustain Murrow financially and the mission groups and volunteers that have given countless hours to repair and refurbish
the cottages. Murrow would not exist without the hard work, donations and financial support of selfless men and women of God.

If it continues to refuse the money raised, the Atheist community will donate the cash to Camp Quest, a non-religious camp.

27 responses to “See what happens when an atheist’s donation is rejected”

The administrators had better get used to atheists because we cannot be stopped. As soon as someone starts thinking then religious belief looks flaky at first and soon it is incredible. Only threats and censorship can block atheism and that only temporarily.

2. Local updates. MuskogeeNow.com
    By the way, donations are well over $10,000 now. And rising quickly.
    I am Matt’s Dad.
    64 Year Old Cherokee Indian.
    Yes, my Son Matt has Cherokee blood running through his veins.
    I am very proud of him.
    In fact……..
    To quote another famous ‘author’ (?)

MATTHEW 3:17 KJV “And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” – King James Bible

3. Moregain says:

Don’t they understand that God wanted them to take the donation, politely thank the donor and show just how nice and broad minded Xtians can be. But no, they’d rather deny the children whatever $100 could buy them. Fools, every man jack of them.

4. Akingbade Thomas says:

Don’t the Christians inferred exegesis say their God can use infidel? With the religious bigots,rationality is not their familiar terrain.

5. Andrew Sliversalts says:

The pious acting like petulant brats yet again.

“Woe to them that go down to Egypt for help; and stay on horses, and trust in chariots, because they are many; and in horsemen, because they are very strong; but they look not unto the Holy One of Israel, neither seek the LORD!” (Isaiah 31:1)

I had that verse drummed into me as young Christian. Also:

“Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel? And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,and will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.” (II Cor. 6: 14-18)

Personally, I wouldn’t give them a penny.

@barriejohn
    Another enlightening insight based on your own bretheren upbringing. The minds of these people really are poisoned, aren’t they? The fact that they are willing to turn away a donation based purely on whom it came from really does highlight that these religiots aren’t in it for any altruistic reason whatsoever. They’re in it to promote their own brand of superstious nonsense by preying on the needy. Hateful, hateful people.

8. andym says:

The flaw in this is to assume that their purpose is benign and so worth supporting. We already know they’re pally with baptists: that should set alarm bells ringing. On their site they talk about God’s provision and a mission , which should also raise suspicions.

Of course the town was famous for this:
    which no one seems to know is parody or not( the writer was contradictory over time,) but seems to have become a badge of honour.

AgentCormac: I think you’ve summed it up perfectly. It’s that smug air of superiority and self-satisfaction that gets you. “The Lord” provides for their needs. Many of them boast that they never ask for contributions, yet they publicize their activities widely, and know that they will be well supported. I can categorically state that many “full time workers” know what line to toe in order to attract financial support, and I witnessed the gasps of astonishment on this side of the Atlantic when reports reached us of British evangelists who were preaching a very different message in the USA or Canada to that which they had been preaching here. Rank hypocrisy and deception!

If the orphanage is financed by baptists I wonder if the kids are free to grow up without any religious influences of a baptist nature? I wonder if the orphanage is also a place of subtle and not-so-subtle indoctrination?

11. Marcus says:

Wilbourn should be heartily congratulated for demonstrating Christians do not have a monopoly on doing good works.

As for the Baptists who run the orphanage, they have rightly been placed in dreadful position. Having indicated that they would not prostitute themselves for a measly $100 dollars, will they now accept the thousands raised and show the world they are, in fact, high class prostitutes?

12. Geoff says:

I wouldn’t give them a cent. I would donate all that money from the GoFund me to a secular place for kids not some religious place that pounds BS into their heads day and night.
    Giving money to people like that is perpetrating the problem.

@1859:

The mission of Murrow Indian Children’s Home is to provide a safe nurturing environment, spiritual foundation, and cultural experiences to Native American Children in crisis.

What do YOU think?

14. tonye says:

To be honest, I’m split on this one….

On one hand, I think a charity should take donations, from anybody, if it genuinely helps their cause, regardless of the source (See Christopher Hitchens and his book on Mother Teresa).

However, (and I know this may not go down well) I (naively??) expect better from atheist donators. I think if you give to any charity you should be discreet (leave it to the religious to make too much noise about the “good that they do”)

15. Barry Duke says:

I made a donation because I believe that, even if a million (in God we DON’T trust) bucks are raised, the Baptist orphanage won’t accept the cash. Instead they will be left gritting their teeth in the knowledge that their rejection of the original donation has had the effect of promoting atheism in a way they could never have envisioned.

16. Excellent Point, Barry Duke.
    Thank You Sir for making it.

17. Robster says:

Can’t help but wonder why the home needs cash when it’s supported by their all powerful deity and its infinite ability of being as useful as a fart in a space suit. Wankers.

18. Newspaniard says:

0820 25 Aug 16 I see the donations have now exceeded $23,000. There are some good athiests about.

19. Laura Roberts says:

@barriejohn: that mission statement is a bit concerning, especially given the horrible way various Christian groups have treated native Americans in the past. I heard an interview with Matt Wilbourn and it sounds as if he’s vetted the charity, but I remain a bit skeptical.

Really cool that the donations are reaching $23K though.

Laura: If they’re not proselytizing I’ll post my next comment in my underpants! On one of their videos we are informed that workers at the home have adopted children. This sets alarm bells ringing in BarrieJohn Towers, as I knew Christians who fostered, and all the children whom they cared for were ferociously indoctrinated, and trooped along to all the local (and longer-distance) Brethren “meetings” (several each Sunday) regularly. Sorry – but I know how these people’s minds work. Child abuse and neglect is a tremendous social evil, but the religious need to be kept as far from providing help as possible with their “Jesus is the answer to your problems” attitude!

21. Trevor Blake says:

“God has provided for Murrow Home for over a hundred years… ”

Translation: God has been making children orphans for over one hundred years. Some parents he kills in violence, some through disease, others war, still others through madness or drug addiction. God prefers some children to never have the love of their parents, instead to be raised by strangers who beg for their food. Strangers who, incidentally, turn up their nose when the help they receive is not to their liking. Yay God and yay God people!

22. […] atheist site also publicized the refusal. That site is drawing even more vitriolic […]

23. jay says:

There are plenty of other charities. Put the money there.

Certainly there are circumstances where an atheist charity might want to reject a donation on principle because of its source.

This kind of thing cuts both ways,

I clicked onto the following link on the YouTube site out of interest. Listen to the background music, and, if you manage to persevere through the racket, note Directed by GOD! at the end:

No question left in my mind now!

25. Newspaniard says:

GoFundMe donations closed at $28,280. Well done us!

26. Jay says:

This is one area that really bothers me. It is that atheists do not found enough of these types of Charities on their own. Why don’t we have a an atheist organization that runs an orphanage and private school that can provide for these children without religious Dogma coming in.

27. […] on many atheist blogs. To get their perspective you can read about this on The Friendly Atheist, The Free Thinker, and Oklahoma Atheists. Meanwhile The Go Fund Me took off and in the end raised $28,280. What I […]