Judge rules that two Muslim teachers were treated unfairly

Judge rules that two Muslim teachers were treated unfairly

Lifetime bans imposed on Inamulhaq Anwar, above, and Akeel Ahmed following the “Trojan Horse” inquiry have been quashed

The pair were banned from teaching in February after it was alleged that the teachers at Park View secondary school in Birmingham had imposed:

An undue amount of religious influence in pupils’ education.

A High Court judge – Mr Justice Stephen Phillips – voiced “considerable doubt” about the fairness of the original hearing and ruled they were treated unfairly.

The February bans came after a panel concluded pupils had been “immersed in orthodox Islamic doctrine” through measures including the use of the school loudspeaker system to broadcast a daily call-to-prayer to Park View’s pupils.

The judge allowed the teachers’ appeal because of the failure to disclose or order disclosure of key evidence to the men’s lawyers.

A Department for Education spokesman said they were “disappointed” with the judgement and were considering options.

In light of the fact that the judge has found against us on a technical, procedural point, we intend to ask for a re-hearing.

The “Trojan Horse” inquiry centred around anonymous allegations which claimed there was a plot by Islamist hard-liners to take control of several Birmingham schools.

The allegations sparked investigations by several agencies, including the Department for Education and Ofsted. Park View Academy was among the schools placed in special measures.

The school has since been renamed Rockwood Academy.

Meanwhile, it is reported from Pakistan that the Supreme Court today delayed a final appeal in the case of Asia Bibi, a Christian mother of five who has been on death row since 2010. The court, which was expected to quash her blasphemy conviction, did not immediately set a new date for the appeal.

The appeal was postponed after one of the judges stepped down.

Thousands of security troops had been deployed in the capital, Islamabad, but the threat of violence was largely abated when one of the three-judge bench, Justice Iqbal Hameed ur Rehman, told the court he had to recuse himself from the case.

Hat Tip: BarrieJohn (“Trojan Horse” report)

21 responses to “Judge rules that two Muslim teachers were treated unfairly”

Express some doubt about Islam in Pakistan and you are put in prison and may be killed. Push the religious claptrap into children in the UK and following any action to stop it expect concerns about whether you have been treated fairly.

2. Tom Petty says:

Oh yes … the islamofacist trojan horse pushers were treated unfairly? Really? Well we all know what their agenda is don’t we. If you don’t then you better watch and understand this.

Tom Petty: I don’t think it is wise for freethinkers to link to people like Brigitte Gabriel. Even if we agree with much of what they say, they too have “an agenda”!

4. Daz says:

How is “failure to disclose or order disclosure of key evidence to the men’s lawyers” a mere “technical, procedural point”? I’m all for punishing the guilty, but I would like some assurance that they actually are guilty—and phrases like “failure to disclose” when placed alongside others like “key evidence,” don’t exactly inspire confidence.

5. It really is. says:

Bj stop preaching to people. I notice that you are always contradicting and telling people what to think and say. Please butt out. You are like the old bore down the pub who knows everything, the guy everyone tries to avoid, who has views on everything and never accepts other people’s views. And you know that Gabriel is right.

Oh, sorry; I dared to express an opinion on the “freethinker” site, and that’s obviously not allowed. PMSL!

7. Newspaniard says:

More litigation from the “permanently offended” at tax-payer expense, no doubt. They have to hurry up or after they are re-tried and found guilty they won’t have time to appeal to the loonies running the EU Court of Human Rights.

8. Tom Petty says:

Bj … YHYHUYA

Glad to see that I’m getting up the noses of the Trumpers as well as the religious maniacs. I’d call that a success!

10. Daz says:

“And you know that Gabriel is right.”

She isn’t even right about the origins of the religion. Barriejohn, you really need to get a better class of heckler.

Daz: Go easy on them – they’re Trump supporters!

12. Tom Petty says:

Daz … Bj … you drag this site into the mire. What makes you two numpties think you are so incredibly knowledgable?
    It would be nice if you stopped contradicting the valid points of others. You are shaping up to become converts to islam as far as I can see. Just go read some sensible reputable books, go read the BBC and Reuters news for a few weeks and then tell anyone who will listen that islam is not the main threat to world peace. It is, its the worst of all religions by a huge margin.

13. remigius says:

@Newspaniard, I’m a little confused by your comment. There is no EU Court of Human Rights. There is a European Court of Human Rights, however it is not run by the EU but by the Council of Europe – a completely separate entity.

And why the hurry? The ECHR isn’t going anywhere. And after the UK leaves the EU we will still be one of the 47 member states of the Council of Europe – we did start it after all. It was founded by Winston Churchill in the 1940’s.

14. Daz says:

“It would be nice if you stopped contradicting the valid points of others. You are shaping up to become converts to islam as far as I can see.”

Sorry, where did I contradict a valid point? If I disagreed with a point which turns out to be valid, I’ll be happy to be corrected; but bluster and silly talk about me becoming a convert to any kind of godliness doesn’t provide any correction.

15. Newspaniard says:

@remigius. Bugger! My mistake. I thought that it was some EU court which prevented us from deporting terrorists and that once we got our courts back, we could chuck as many criminals out as WE wanted. Ho Hum. Apologies to all those whom I may have mislead.

16. andym says:

I can’t see that on any thread, anyone’s mentioned the Exposure programme ITV Thursday. The first half was so disturbing and depressing I almost stopped watching. But then it got more hopeful. Studies estimate there are millions of hidden atheists in the Islamic world-as many as 1 1/2 million in Saudi alone was one estimate.

I think these petty-tyrant mullahs and imams who rant against atheism and secularist bloggers, calling , often effectively, for their deaths know what a danger un-belief is. Not really to Islam itself,it will survive as Christianity has,,but to the their own power, wealth and privilege.

It’s my guess they see how diminished the power of Christian clerics in the West is and are terrified of going the same way.They can’t admit to internal contradictions in Islam, or that it is ideologically powerless in the face of scientific advancement, so they blather about insults to “the prophet” made by apostate and atheist bloggers. But you can only stop mass, pan-national movements for so long….

Maryam Namazie argued that the internet will be to Islam what the printing press was to Christianity.

Andym: We did discuss the upcoming documentary, though many still refuse to accept the sincerity of those who claim to have left Islam. I don’t have any fear of them being “sleepers” myself, being an ex-fundamentalist as well. I was going to post a reminder about the programme, but it slipped my mind. Anyhow, some people seem to think that I comment too much here, so they will be happy about that!

18. andym says:

The mullahs who call for their deaths and the gangs hacking them to pieces seem to take their claims at face value.

19. Brian Jordan says:

Thanks andym and barriejohn. I saw it mentioned here, but never saw any on-screen reminders so I missed it. It should be good for another few weeks, fortunately.

I like Maryam Namazie’s analogy regarding the internet and the printing press. Let’s hope she’s right. Who else is old enough to remember James Burke and Connections?