Christians in Estonia kick up a fuss over Virgin Mary exhibit

Christians in Estonia kick up a fuss over Virgin Mary exhibit

Visitors to Estonia’s new National Museum are invited to kick the base of a glass box containing an image of the Virgin Mary, but the clever high-tech exhibit has enraged Christians who want it removed.

According to this report, when people kick a spot on the plinth below the glass box, the Mary image fragments and the word “Reformation” appears.
urmas-viilma-kirikuopetaja-vaimulik-70238665

The Archbishop of the Estonian Evangelical Lutheran Church, Urmas Viilma, above, said the image offends the feelings of believers. He wrote on Facebook:

I very seriously doubt that this exhibit is suitable for the permanent collection of the National Museum of Estonia, even if it is interesting from a technical point of view or from the perspective of modern approach to the depiction of historical events.

The virgin Mary for a huge number of believers is not some historical figure or event, gone into oblivion, but a reality today.

Politicians have also waded in to the row. The chairman of the opposition Conservative People’s Party, Mart Helme, said there would be a particularly negative reaction in the Russian-speaking community.

Most Russians living in Estonia are actively religious people and their integration is not helped by religious insult approved on a state level. The image should be removed as soon as possible.

Helme, who was Estonia’s ambassador to Russia in the 1990s, warned that:

Mocking the symbols of faith also has a political dimension to it. An attack on symbols may lead to an escalation of social tensions and a cooling of inter-state relations.

Formerly part of the USSR, Estonia is on the front line between Europe and Russia and is the focus of rising fears about Russian expansionism following the assault on Ukraine. Last year it announced it would build a border fence to improve security.

Hat tip: Trevor Blake.

22 responses to “Christians in Estonia kick up a fuss over Virgin Mary exhibit”

Once again another bunch of religious dimwits acknowledge that their ahole gawd is a powerless pile of BS!!! So they have to have the gov’mint step in to tummy rub their imagined hurt feels!!! Poor babies!!!!!

She probably never existed. This is only one step away from mental illness.

3. RussellW says:

barriejohn,

“She probably never existed”.

Yes, Mary probably was an invention by early European Christians to replace the Mother Goddess principle that disappeared when they adopted that weird ME cult, aka ‘Christianity’.

4. Tom Petty says:

Offended … how pathetically weak. Wake up halfwits … there is no god … mary never was … jesus is myth … religions are dangerous mind controlling inventious of those who crave controll over he common man.

Instead of ‘kicking’ the virgin mary, it’s a bit like saying let’s ‘fuck’ the virgin mary – then of course she would no longer be a virgin. This might be something for Mr. Trump.

6. Robster says:

They could simply supersede the unwanted dead fake Mary with a new Jesus model. Keep everyone happy.

7. jay says:

I would consider this valid speech, but I question its place in a government museum. It’s not like they’re actually teaching some key intellectual point, just an exercise in hostility. Seems a bit pointless especially when the government is supposed to represent all citizens.

Bet they don’t do that with a Mohammed, though. THAT would be interesting.

Something else to be offended about? Who’d have thought it.

Anybody else spot this bit of news? Patriarch Kirill, scumbag head of Russia’s Orthodox Church, is beginning a four-day visit to Britain. Why? And why is he being fêted like he’s some kind of head of state? (I know, I know – he virtually is a head of state he’s so far up Putin’s backside.)

10. Graham Martin-Royle says:

” the depiction of historical events.”

Just what historical “event” is being depicted here?

But wait! The Virgin Mary is performing miracles after people pray to her. I read about someone a few months ago who prayed to her and the woman’s illness ( I forget what it was but it must have been serious) was cured. I assume all the other people with unprayed for illnesses remained uncured.

But how much more evidence to you need?

12. Club Secretary says:

@AgentCormac says:

Sat 15 Oct at 9:38 am

Ahh but you must admit he does have the best hat of all the religious leaders.

Although I have never seen it working I have heard that it rotates and plays the magic roundabout tune.

13. tonye says:

Broga,

But how come, following prayers, the cures never seem to come for amputees?

Strange that.

Tom Petty et al: If they were all truly “halfwits” I wouldn’t be so bothered, but the Catholic faith seems to attract some highly intelligent people – I’ve known a few myself. This obsession with fictitious characters I find very disturbing (they seem like children with a doll, or an imaginary friend). The Plymouth Brethren are a pretty straight-laced, tight-lipped bunch, but I witnessed scenes of high emotion at the “Morning Meeting” on many an occasion, where the “Sufferings of Christ” were being deliberated upon. It was very strange indeed, and really unnerved me.

Broga: I think I have evidence that prayer to Mary is pretty futile.

Apologies to those who have seen that umpteen times, but I know that Barry likes it just as much as I do!

@tonye: I’m praying for an answer to that. I’ll let you know as soon as I get it. But don’t hold your breath.

Broga: There is plenty of evidence that God heals amputees.

Do these people realize that they look like raving lunatics? I guess so!

18. Trevor Blake says:

An attack on symbols may escalate… or it may not, as it tends to not do nearly every time through all of human history in every culture. But maybe THIS time your feelings and current events are interchangeable.

@barriejohn : That really is cringe inducing. Great bit when that grimacing, smarmy, lying git said “150,000 people were saved” and the suckers all whooped like supporters at a Trump rally. Oh my, what has the human species come to when this still happens.

I think I need to lie down with a cold compress to recover.

Pat Robertson (who else?) explains why we don’t see amputees healed:

Priceless!

@barriejohn: Please don’t post these links! They do my head in more than it’s already been done in and in and in by religion!!! I just cannot believe these people think it’s true that a ‘Glory Cloud’ descended over a group of lepers in Nigeria and, when it lifted, all their noses, eyes, ears etc., had miraculously grown back!! I thought at first I was watching some freaky comedy show but then the audience leaped to its feet screaming and shouting the ‘lord’s’ praise! Holy fuck! These were people are living in a first world country – America! They can’t be serious. Bj please, please tell me this is a spoof video . Do I really share the planet with such goons?

@1859: And it appears to be a third-hand account as well! No wonder Christians are willing to believe that snakes and donkeys can talk, and that the sun can “stand still in the sky”, just because an ancient book say so. Reinhard Bonnke (great name!) raises people from the dead (in Africa, of course). Just take a look at the reaction of these people (probably Americans) to his stupid little story:

#Praise God, simple logic is always profound!?

#”simple logic”? You’re kidding right??