Muslim taxi driver fined for refusing to transport guide dog

Muslim taxi driver fined for refusing to transport guide dog

An Uber driver in Leicester, who claimed it was against his religion to transport dogs, was fined this week for refusing service to Charles Bloch, above, and his guide dog Carlos.

According to this report, Bloch told driver Ahmed Kayd, 42, that he had his Labrador with him via a message on the Uber smartphone app.

But when Kayd arrived he asked if the dog would “lick him” before refusing to give Bloch and his partner a lift home to Spinney Hill Park, Leicester.

Kayd claimed he did not like dogs and taking animals was against his religion, despite Mr Bloch explaining his refusal was illegal.

Bloch left feedback on the Uber app, exposing Kayd’s actions, and Kayd called back to apologise – but the disgruntled dog owner had already made other arrangements.

Kayd, of Beaumont Leys, Leicester, admitted refusing to convey a guide dog under the Equality Act 2010 at Leicester Magistrates Court.

He was issued a £140 fine and ordered to pay £327 in costs plus a victim surcharge of £30 on Wednesday.

Councillor Piara Singh Clair, assistant city mayor for culture, leisure and sport, said:

Taxi drivers are legally required to accept bookings from passengers with assistance dogs, unless the driver has been granted an exemption certificate by the local authority.

In this case, the driver didn’t have any legitimate reason not to accept Mr Bloch and Carlo.

We are pleased with the successful prosecution and hope that it sends a clear message that we will not tolerate any discrimination.

taxi-686230-630x374

Earlier this year we reported that Kayd, above, had been sacked by the ADT Taxi company over the incident, which took place in July.

At the time, Darren Green, ADT Taxis office manager, said:

We very much regret this. The driver, who is self-employed has only been with us for two months. We will not use him again after this. I am visually impaired myself after suffering a detached retina. We have many customers who are visually impaired.

ADT Taxis has also issued a long apology on its Facebook page, saying:

We are deeply ashamed of the conduct of this Leicester City Council licensed driver and he clearly broke the law after not accepting a booking we gave to him on religious grounds and has been dispensed with as well as being reported to the council.

Our policy is clear, we do not discriminate. If we have drivers reported to us for breaking terms of their licence, we cut them off from our bookings system and no longer use their service. The manager is contacting the customer concerned, and will offer him a full apology and some free journeys.

14 responses to “Muslim taxi driver fined for refusing to transport guide dog”

1. Paul says:

So the blind man has his mind wide open, and probably ‘sees’ well enough to realise the wrong here.
    And the all seeing peaceful Muslim is as blind and as ignorant as they come.

2. Cali Ron says:

Paul:Well said. There is more than one kind of blindness.

I definitely like the dog better than the taxis driver. I have never met a religious dog, suggesting that dogs are smarter than religious people and tend to be better judges of character.

3. John the Drunkard says:

V.S. Naipaul, in one of his books about travel in the land of ‘believers,’ did some reporting about Muslims and dogs. According to him, Zoroastrians are quite specifically dog-loving, hence cruelty and scorn towards dogs became a sort of badge of honor among the Arab conquerors of Persia.

There are supposed to be Hadith about Mohammed using his own slipper to dip water from a well for a thirsty dog….

4. Bill Bonk says:

I think I will call a taxi, they are all muslim driven around here, to deliver a pack of bacon rashers to my sisters house.

5. Bill Bonk says:

Do blind muslims use guide dogs? Or do they force one of their women folk to act as a surrogate one?

Bill Bonk: They get a GUIDE HORSE! Barry posted an article about this at the time:

Yes – you couldn’t make it up.

7. In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. Bow wow.

8. Daz says:

Discrimination by Uber drivers seems to be quite widespread. Mano Singham posted on it yesterday, though the site containing the article he cited seems to be down at the moment, worse luck.

9. Rocky says:

Muslims are petulant immature attention seeking shites … it’s all about them. They absolutely cannot just get on quietly with praying five times a day. No, they have to be in everyone’s face all the time being obnoxiously and outrageously anti everything that is not islam. “Look at me I’m a muslim and I hate you, I will treat you like shit, I will take every and any opportunity no matter how trivial and no matter how hard I have to wind myself up to be offended by you and to shove my religion and arse wipe culture down your throat. And if you even think about pushing back I will publicly call you a racist and an islamophobe and call upon my fellow shitehawks to shout and scream and smash everything up.

10. Bill Bonk says:

Here’s a good business idea. Run a taxi service where no drivers are muslim so that when a customer books a cab that a kuffar driver is guaranteed. I’m sure that a great many people would much rather have a taxi driven by a non muslim. I sure would.

11. Bill Bonk says:

Are the any muslim vets in the uk and if so they refuse to treat dogs? Or pigs?

Bill Bonk: They are allowed to treat dogs, but not pigs, evidently.

Other sites say the same, but I have no idea upon what authority; but then it’s religion, so you just make it up as you go along anyway.

13. gedediah says:

Driver did wrong, got fined and sacked. System works. End of story.