UK nurse sacked for foisting Jesus on vulnerable patients

UK nurse sacked for foisting Jesus on vulnerable patients

Like so many of her ilk, Sarah Kuteh, above, chose to put on a little whipped pup expression when she complained to the media that she had been sacked for telling patients about Jesus.

Kuteh, according to this report, lost her job with Dartford and Gravesham NHS Trust because she subjected patients to “unwanted discussions” about religion.

The mother of three is now suing the Trust, which runs Darent Valley Hospital in Dartford, Kent, after she was suspended and removed from the premises.

She said:

It was embarrassing for me – and painful after all I had done in my years as a nurse. I was told I couldn’t even speak to my colleagues. All I had done was to nurse from my heart. How could it be harmful to tell someone about Jesus?

Kuteh started her nursing career in London before moving to Dartford in 2007 and becoming a sister in 2012. Her last role was to assess patients’ health before they went for surgery.

She admitted she spoke to patients about religion without their permission when she started the new role, when she saw they had left a question regarding religion blank. But she stopped after a warning in April.

However she was sacked in August after an investigation after three complaints were received in June.

Kuteh is taking her case to an employment tribunal, claiming she was not initially shown the complaints, making the discplinary process flawed.

A spokesperson for the Trust said:

We have a duty to our patients that when they are at their most vulnerable they are not exposed to unsolicited beliefs and/or views, religious or otherwise. We feel we have acted appropriately in this case.

Hat tip: Angela_K and BarrieJohn

28 responses to “UK nurse sacked for foisting Jesus on vulnerable patients”

1. mrloy says:

If only religious fanatics would keep their childish beliefs to themselves. Her sacking is fully justified.

What would she think if an atheist discussed atheism with a patient before an operation? There is a disturbing certainty and self righteousness about Kuteh and those like her. They cannot accept that millions of people just do not believe what she believes.

“How could it be harmful to tell someone about Jesus?” Have a lot at the harm missionaries did in telling millions of people about Jesus?

‘How could it be harmful to tell someone about Jesus?’

Where oh where do you start with that one?! BTW, just wait for the Christian Legal Centre to get involved. That’ll guarantee she doesn’t have a hope in hell of winning her case.

AC: That’s what I said to Barry, but guess what? They’re already on the case (watch video here or on their Facebook page):

Whinge, whinge, whinge.

Great comment on that Mirror article:

As a child of the most high you’v’e got absolutely nothing to worry or fear because He is fighting your battles and His name knows no defeat.

Obviously never heard of the Christian Legal Centre!

The patients complained. They didn’t want her proselitising. But people like her just can’t leave it alone. She was paid to nurse, not to preach. But they think they have a right to preach which transcends the patient’s right to be left alone.

Suppose Kuteh encountered a determined atheist who replied to her preaching with a challenge. I would guess that her time spent nursing would be of a lower priority than her need to prove the “truth” of her views.

We now have these whining, creepy comments that people are no longer allowed to talk about Jesus. Wrong. Talk about him all they want but in their own time and not when they are treating someone.

Comment on Facebook:

Amen.. never be ashamed of sharing Jesus with the lost in. your work place. God will bless you for your stand for Jesus !

I know from my own experience as a Christian that this is their attitude; the “unsaved” are “lost” and need to be “brought to Christ” before they are cast into the Lake of Fire. They try to present this as “bringing comfort to the suffering”, etc. (one commenter likens it to offering the patient a cup of tea!), but it’s a very different thing to that indeed. People don’t need this sort of pressure when they are vulnerable and suffering.

“People don’t need this sort of pressure when they are vulnerable and suffering”. This is exactly the sort of nefarious method used by JW’s on the bereaved and by Alcoholics Anonymous: get people hooked on god when they are down. If any of the nurses who worked for my late Mother tried that nonsense they would have a severe talking-to and warning. My Mum used to escort the god squad off her wards unless a patient had specifically asked for a priest.

@barriejohn : The remotest possibility of being cast for all eternity into a lake of fire would paralyse anyone with terror if they really believed that. So what do they believe? Or do they comfort themselves that Jesus will save them? But how can they be sure of that?

Another thought is that no matter how evil a person, even a Hitler or a lifelong most vicious sadist, their behaviour could never deserve an eternity of being in a lake of fire. Nor could a just God allow it. That leaves aside all the complications of people being fashioned by nature and nurture into ways over which they have no control. Do we have free will.

But all this is nothing to people like this nurse because this kind of thinking is alien to them.

I think that when I die my atoms return to where they have been for billions of years. The electricity gets switched off and all is blank. I find that reassuring. Ten years ago I was knocked unconscious in a car crash. I didn’t see any tunnel with a light at the end of it. I wasn’t in the air looking at my body.

What I did discover was that in the brief period of unconsciousness I experienced nothing or at least remembered nothing of that experience. I anticipate that is how it will be. An eternal blank and the same rules apply to us all. Even Christians.

10. Trevor Blake says:

I don’t heal people in your church. Please don’t say magic spells in my hospital.

11. RussellW says:

If,as Kuteh claims, she was not initially informed of the complaints, she might indeed be able to establish that the disciplinary process was flawed.

This is probably going to be a nice little earner for some lawyers.

Broga: My maternal grandfather (“Grampy”) was a kind and gentle man, loved by everyone who knew him, who never laid a finger on any of his (eight) children, and who kept all his grandchildren endlessly entertained. He suffered terribly with bronchitis, largely brought on, I am sure, by his stint as a stoker in the RN during the First World War (he was always coughing up black specs), and died shortly after he retired. My mother was, understandably, very upset after the funeral, especially as we had moved to Swindon by then, and, without our own transport (early Sixties!), seemed light years away from our family in Southampton. The Christian lady over the road, who, with her awful husband, was my “spiritual mentor”, invited my mum over for a chat. Any idea what she said? “If that had been you in the coffin and not your father, would you have been in Heaven or Hell?”. Can you believe that someone could be so insensitive as to see the occasion merely as an opportunity to make another convert? That is why these deranged idiots have to be kept from spouting their abominable filth in the vicinity of any sick, bereaved, or depressed person. They are completely blinkered and lacking in sensitivity, and see “the salvation of souls” as of such “eternal importance” that any common sense or restraint flies straight out of the window. Who knows what harm they might do?

13. Stephen Mynett says:

Really glad to see she has been sacked, despite there being more stringent regulations about religion in hospitals these days patients are still subjected far too often to proselytising. As many have said, these religious loonies/bigots fail or refuse to see the other person’s point of view but that should not be an excuse for them to carry on, although creeps like the CLC will probably say it is.
    I have made several complaints through the years but few, if any were ever followed up and through the 70s and 80s you were generally thought to be just stirring things up and ignored if you said anything. At least now there is some protection for patients.
    The religionists also realise that patients in severe pain or, in a lot of cases, frightened are an easy target. Often the effects of severe pain make it difficult to think straight and argue with them, even if you wish to. Your late mother deserves a lot of credit Angela, as a regular patient over the years with my haemophilia I know how helpful, sometimes vital, it is to have someone who is willing to stand up to these people, I did it when I was fit/strong enough but quite often was not.

14. Laura Roberts says:

Oooh, looky what I found — a victim card! Makes it much easier for me to justify suing a financially strapped healthcare agency. Better they should spend their limited resources fighting me in court instead of helping patients, especially the icky non-Christian ones.

15. Vanny says:

This is one of the main problems of religion. The pious cannot keep their beliefs to themselves. They can’t rest until they make me believe it too. They are incapable of keeping their beliefs private.

16. Paul says:

I wonder how such an innocuous small unimportant woman’s dismissal makes headline news. Who feeds this trash to the mainstream media ? How is this important.
    I’m missing something here.

17. Stephen Mynett says:

Paul, it is an easy story for lazy journos to write and it can easily be made sensational to some people’s perspective, so it is good stuff for the papers and the likes of the CLC know this, they may be a bunch of deranged shithouses but they know how to play the media and, as the old journalist’s saying goes: “Never let the truth get in the way of a good story.”

18. Paul says:

OT but related how the news of the loving gawd can be disseminated.
    Astonishing how gawd helps only some people who pray and not others – especially children with cancers lost limbs blindness deformities – not even clean water / the evil b***** d – yet here he’s jumped right in helped this drug addict build a food business.

Like the taxi driver nutjob it’s amazing how the sighted are so blind.

19. H3r3tic says:

Let us just suppose that I enjoy fisting badgers in my spare time. If I were to take time out of my working day to encourage my employer’s customers and clients to experience the wonders of badger fisting, if I were to explain to them that fisting a badger could bring about a real and profound change in their lives, if I constantly prosyletised about the meaning that badger fisting had brought to my own life, then I would expect my employer my tell me to shut the fuck up, unless of course In worked for fistmybadger.co.uk. Why the fuck should anyone talking about religion not be dealt with in the same manner?

20. Laura Roberts says:

@H3r3tic: for one thing (to steal a line from the late George Carlin) unlike some gods I could mention, I know badgers actually exist. Further, the idea of badger fisting is less offensive than many religious stories. Hence badger-fisting advocacy warrants more respect than religion, especially if the badger gets something out of it.

21. cnocspeireag says:

Russel W has a point, as the story has a gaping hole in it. Her version was that she did proselytise, but stopped after a warning in April. If so, she should not have been sacked. If the complaints received in June referred to offences after the warning (it’s not obvious in the story), then they are grounds for discipline. If she was not shown the case against her before action was taken, she has a real grievance and the fault is with whatever tribunal decided to sack her. People shouldn’t lose their jobs on someone’s whim, nor on the basis of flawed procedure. If you’re not allowed defence, you may as well go back to chucking folk into a river to see if they float.

22. Dave says:

Whilst I agree totally that a medical appointment is completely the wrong setting for evangelism, is this really a sackable offense?

I hope that the health service hasn’t lost an otherwise good employee because she suffers from a delusion shared by many others.

@Dave, the question we should be asking is: Would you trust a person to look after you who cannot separate fact and fiction.

Dave: You’ve fallen into the trap! She has not been sacked because of her delusions, but for breaching guidelines. I think this report is a bit more extensive:

25. Stephen Mynett says:

Dave, I have had to put up with proselytising hospital staff and they are a real nuisance. The last thing you want when you are ill is someone annoying you and badgering you with stuff you neither want nor need.

She was not a good employee because she was doing things to the detriment of the patients she was supposed to be caring for.

@barriejohn: They are pitiless and insensitive in pursued of their deluded goals.

27. Stephen Mynett says:

Broga, I totally agree, many hospital patients are a captive audience, some unable to leave their bed and the religionists are happy to exploit this.

The trouble is they are so sure of their delusions they often cannot see they are doing harm, although I think some don’t care, they just want another convert.

There are also the idiots who try to protect them with phrases like: “They are trying to help you.” There are still far too many people who may not be particularly religious or religious at all but still think religion deserves some sort of special respect.

28. Stephen Mynett says: