Muslim student charged over fabricated Islamophobia claim

Muslim student charged over fabricated Islamophobia claim

Yasmin Seweid, 18, above, has been charged with filing a false report about an Islamophobic attack she claimed took place in New York at the beginning of December.

According to this report, Seweid, 18, she told cops she was abused on December 1 by three drunk men who screamed “Trump”, called her a terrorist and tried to snatch her hijab off her head while straphangers on a subway train did nothing.

But Seweid finally broke down Wednesday and was arrested after she admitted to detectives that it was all a big lie. A police source said:

Nothing happened, and there was no victim. She had numerous opportunities to admit nothing happened and she kept sticking by her story.

Police added that Seweid made up the story because she didn’t want to get in trouble for breaking a curfew imposed on her by her strict Muslim parents after being out late drinking with friends.

Her parents allegedly forced Seweid to shave her head over the incident and were upset that she was dating a Christian, sources said.

Yasmin Seweid was allegedly forced by her parents to shave her head over the incident because they were upset she was dating a Christian. Pictured with Seweid is her father. Photo Sam Costanza/for New York Daily News.

The bareheaded Baruch College student, not wearing her hijab, was arraignment early today in Manhattan Criminal Court. A relative covered Seweid’s face with a black down jacket as she was escorted into a waiting SUV following her brief court appearance.

The lying teen even posted an emotional account of the attack on Facebook.

I was harassed on the subway last night. And it was just so dehumanizing I can’t speak about it without getting emotional.

Police smelled a rat when they failed find witnesses or any significant video. Yesterday, after again being confronted with questions from detectives, she said she had made it all up, citing family problems.

She  admitted that she lied to throw off her parents, who are Egyptian immigrants, because they disapproved of her boyfriend.

Seweid’s father, Syeed, 55, said he didn’t know why his daughter made up the story.

I have no idea. She’s the one that can speak for herself.

Albert Cahn, an attorney for the New York Chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said the twist in Seweid’s case shouldn’t take away from “the legitimate” claims of bias and harassment against Muslims.

We’re very disturbed by these distressing developments, but we hope that they do not detract from the numerous reports coming from the Muslim community.

Clearly this has been a trying time for her and her family. We hope that they receive all possible support in this moving forward. We still believe that anti-Muslim attacks are under-reported.

According to police statistics, reported hate crimes in the city more than doubled last month – with more than 43 cases, compared with just 20 in November 2015.

How many of these are genuine is anyone’s guess.

Hat tip: Trevor Blake.

18 responses to “Muslim student charged over fabricated Islamophobia claim”

1. Graham Martin-Royle says:

I actually feel sorry for her. She has overbearing parents who scare her so much that she lied just to avoid problems with them. Maybe her parents need to look at how they’ve treated her if they want an answer as to why she did this.

2. Recently my hajib and union jack knickers were torn off me by a bunch of deplorable Remoaners who waylaid me whist I perused the shelves of my local supermarket hoping to purchase three bottles of pink gin and a packet of Woodbines. So traumatised was I that I am no longer able to use commas the shame and terror I experienced that day will be with me for the rest of my days.

Graham Martin-Royal: I agree. This case is not what it at first might seem, and I don’t think that this young woman will get the sympathy that she deserves. I have witnessed at first hand similar young women, though Christian, reduced to tears and publicly humiliated over such trivia as length of hair and the wearing of a “head covering”, as well as over “unsaved” friends and boy-friends, and even association with the “wrong Brethren group” in town. Unbelievable! The following was in the news only this morning, and seems relevant here:

4. In my comment posted above hajib should be hijab and whist should be whilst. These things matter.

5. Many of the recent claims concerning ‘hate crime’ regularly occurring both here and in the USA have rather too obviously been fabricated (by the usual suspects) and for rather obvious reasons. There are many examples of this phenomenon to be found on the internet, in which claim after claim of ‘hate crime’ is revealed to be fake. Please forgive my cynicism, but these claims have, in my opinion, about as much credence as reports of an alien abduction occurring in Kilburn High Road on a Saturday morning or of reports of Big Foot attacking and devouring dog walkers at night on Hampstead Heath.

6. RussellW says:

barriejohn,

Agreed. Assuming that the report is accurate, Seweid is also a victim of Muslim bigotry and intolerance.

I noticed that the CAIR representative couldn’t help trying the ‘backlash’ scam.

7. Steve says:

Whatever reason she may have had for the false report, I can’t help but compare it to similar circumstances where someone makes a false report. Every time there is a fake, all it does it discredit the real cases, and make it harder to accept the real cases at face value. This kind of behaviour is damaging to people suffering through REAL problems.

8. Trevor Blake says:

“Officials say there’s been a spike in the number of hate-inspired crimes in New York since Trump was elected President.”

Repetition makes repetition more easy but it doesn’t make it true. There are political assaults going on, but they aren’t coming from Trump or his supporters.

A small sampling of violence against Trump supporters…

9. Laura Roberts says:

@TrevorBlake: unless you’ve got data from a reliable source such as the FBI, or the Statistical Abstracts, then you don’t know. Where accurate data are concerned, blogs and “news” sites are not worth much. Really, I expect better from you.

I know for a fact that, since the election, there have been incidents on college campuses directed at non-whites: Hispanic acquaintances of mine have been shouted at to “go back where you came from”. However, whether it represents a statistically significant up-tick, and whether the perpetrators were confirmed Trump supporters, I do not know. You don’t know, either.

This is an example of a loving father Islamic style, I suppose. Well, I am only a despised atheist as he would see it but the thought of shaving my daughter’s hair as a punishment revolts me.

I can only echo much of the above. The girl deserves our pity even though she decided upon a foolish course if action, and the ‘punishment’ meted out by her father shows just how intolerant and backward muslim attitudes to the 21st century really can be.

AC: It’s barbaric, but I’m not totally surprised. I knew a Christian (elder in the assembly) who thought nothing of caning his teenage daughter in front of visitors. It was embarrassing for everyone else, but not for him!

@barriejohn
    Probably did it to reinforce his own delusions of power and authority.

14. Bill Bonk says:

And I saw yesterday that the muslim winner of the appalling GBBO cake making programme was complaining about the “racist” mentality of those who dislike followers of islam. Sorry, but disliking muslims is NOT RACISM. NOT RACISM. It is however a natural human reaction to be repelled by those that that follow, defend and even boast about belonging to a religion that is intolerant, divisive, primitive mysogenistic, violent, murderous, hateful and brutally primitive … a religion that is ripping its own countries apart … a religion that is despoiling the freedoms in civilised countries … a religion that is deliberately and systematically undermining democracy and free speech … a religion that instructs its adherents to whinge and whine about their perceived marginalisation in countries they are guests in …
    a religion that encourages individuals to murder in cold blood anyone they don’t like … a religion that is divided to the point that the opposed factions will dismissively kill each other for being heretics … and so on.

Want to be a muslim living freely without criticism in a free country? Then you need to do much more to rail against the appaling behaviour of your fellow muslims. You need to integrate. You need to dump Sharia. You need to respect the rules and laws. You need to stop whining and complaining and whinging. In short grow up and behave in a manner commensurate with the culture that surrounds you. And stop using the RACIST CARD. It will not work.

Look at the picture at the top!! Its obvious she asked for it or is lying. Anyone with lipstick, eye shadow, eye liner and plucked eye brows is asking to be hit on! Wait! She said they were insulting her for being isLame! Well her scarf is pretty too. Wait! That is victim blaming!! Wait! She was lying!!! Told you you can’t trust a girl with all that make-up on!!

16. John the Drunkard says:

Unfortunately, most Westerners are too ill informed to develop an appropriate level of caution, alarm, and distaste, toward ISLAM. It is far easier to succumb to foolish anti-immigrant racism.

In WWII, Americans didn’t seem to grasp the significance, and evil, of Japanese imperialism. And we can still cringe at the racializied propaganda that whipped up a fury that should have been inspired by the actual behavior of the Japanese military.

This poor young woman appears to be the victim of real hate-crime, perpetrated by her family.

Certainly the publicity around surges of public racism is bound to trigger knock-offs and frauds like this. Tawana Brawley doesn’t make anti-Black racism in the U.S. any less real.

Still, the media have a responsibility to report without sensationalism.

17. Brian Jordan says:

Much fuss about the alleged pulling off of a scarf, yet precious little upset over the cutting off of all her hair.

18. John says:

Well, it is the USA! There have been similar claims by Jewish students of hate crimes there which on investigation often turn out to be self-inflicted.
    In the US, the last people I would listen to would be ADL.
    In this country – UK – the last ones to listen to are CST.
    They all promote a perception of racial hatred because it is in their own interests and in the interests of promoting aliyah to Israel as demanded by their paymasters in Israel.
    Perhaps what we are all witnessing is a battle for supremacy between Muslim and Jewish contestants as to who are the greater victims of religious hatred?
    I don’t know about that except that they are all nuts!