Elderly Brazilian woman prays to Lord of the Rings figurine

Elderly Brazilian woman prays to Lord of the Rings figurine

It’s a mistake anyone of a religious bent can make: praying to a tiny figurine you think is a saint but is in fact Elrond, the elf lord from Lord of the Rings.

When Gabriela Brandão discovered that her daughter’s very devout great-grandmother was praying every day to Elrond Half-Elven, believing him to be Saint Anthony, she let the world know via Facebook – and her post immediately went viral. More than 3,600 people shared it.

Brandão was able to find an identical Elronds modelled on actor Hugo Weaving, above, on eBay, but how the old lady got her hands on one remains a mystery.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

14 responses to “Elderly Brazilian woman prays to Lord of the Rings figurine”

She might as well pray to that figurine as any of the others that are presumably regarded as deserving of prayer.

Yes, billions of Christians have, for centuries, been wasting their time mistakenly praying to a mythical person. There’s no difference really.

3. Lord of the Rings is bollocks, though many clapped-out old hippies seem to enjoy reading it. However, there is an excellent 1968 song by Pearls Before Swine which was inspired by the novel: ‘Ring Thing’, which can be found on their album ‘Balaklava’. The cover of the album is also excellent, depicting a detail from one of my favourite paintings: ‘The Triumph of Death’ by Pieter Brueghel the Elder, a reproduction of which can be found hanging on the wall above my bed. Gazing at it when I awake always brings comfort and solace. As for the article above, its subject is too trite to require any comment.

4. Robster says:

Those roman Catholic priestly types say they can magic a wafer into real Jesus fillet, take the PVC “saint” down to the local RC facility, wave a pic of a 10 year old boy to attract one or two of the priestly types and bingo, saintly figure possibly, perhaps, maybe magicked for instant worship.

5. Maggie says:

And why not pray to Elrond? He’s as every bit as real as Jesus.

6. Newspaniard says:

In the past I have stated that it won’t be long before there is a religion based around Gandalf after all Scientologist leaders make millions from their science fiction nonsense.

(Clapped out and old, yes but “Hippy”, I don’t think so. I enjoy reading Hobbit and LOTR at least twice a decade, @Miss Floribunda Rose)

7. Laura Roberts says:

@Newspaniard: have you forgotten the church of the Jedi? Currently it seems to be good-natured satire, like the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but in 100 years…?

8. Brian Jordan says:

What’s new? Don’t they have Lady Galadriel in all the RC churches?

9. tonye says:

@Newspaniard,

Like most books LOTR seems to go through periods of increased popularity. When I was in my early twenties I felt it was time to tackle the mammoth tome.

I cannot say I was an enjoyable experience. It felt like it took 5 pages just to explain each of the characters names.

Now, if you have not yet read ‘The Riftwar Saga’ by Raymond E Feist, give it a try.

Brian Jordan: Did the “Blessed Virgin” Mary ever exist?

Here are a few more:

They already have a religion based on LOTR! You are just saying it backwards. The LOTR is based on the buyBull myths. A mild nice dude says kind things and sacrifices himself to rid the world of evil. Sounds like King David and jesus to me, or any other heros journey to me!

Sorry forgot the King David part….guy shows up saying he’s king, kills various monsters, people cheer and he is fully king.

13. Newspaniard says:

@tonye. Thanks for the tip. I looked up Raymond E Feist on Fabulous Fiction and found that Riftwar consists of multi, multi, multi books so I’ll give it a miss in this lifetime. I have too many other books I want to read before I pop my clogs.

14. Vanity Unfair says:

If that’s Old Mother Hubbard’s son, Elrond. I think he did found a religion (for tax purposes.)