Anglican bishop slams Koran reading in a Glasgow Cathedral

Anglican bishop slams Koran reading in a Glasgow Cathedral

Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali, above, has called on the Scottish Episcopal Church to ‘discipline’ those responsible for allowing a Muslim woman to recite from the Koran at an Epiphany service at St Mary’s Cathedral in Glasgow last week.

According to this report, Nazir-Ali angrily reacted after a video showing Madinah Javed reading from the Koran was posted on Facebook. Javed wrote on FB:

The congregation was …. reminded during the service that it is not only Christians who give honour to Jesus. We were joined by friends from two local Muslim communities.

Nazir-Ali pointed out in a statement issued today that Muslims believe that God had “adopted” Jesus, rather than having fathered him.

This seems to have the heresy of adoptionism in the background and is not what Christians believe.

He said that the passage read at St Mary’s appears to be from the Sura known as Maryam or Mary and is about the birth of Christ.

Christians should know what their fellow citizens believe and this can include reading the Qur’an for themselves, whether in the original or in translation. This is not, however, the same thing as having it read in Church in the context of public worship.

They [Christians] believe he is the eternal Word proceeding from the Father and son in this sense, as well as because of his unique birth and his resurrection from the dead. It is particularly insensitive to have this passage read in Church on the Feast of the Epiphany when we celebrate not only Christ’s manifestation to the gentiles but also his baptism and the divine declaration, ‘you are my beloved son in whom I am well pleased’.

The authorities of the Scottish Episcopal Church should immediately repudiate this ill-advised invitation and exercise appropriate discipline for those involved. The Archbishop of Canterbury should also distance the Church of England and the world wide Anglican Communion from this event.

As these comments indicate, the Qur’an explicitly denies that God can have a son and that Jesus is divine. The Church of England should exercise discipline for those involved and make clear that Qur’an recitation should play no part in Christian worship.

Rev David McCarthy of St Thomas’ church in Edinburgh was equally outraged:

It’s a strange and erroneous matter for the clergy leadership of a cathedral to allow a reading from the Quran which later goes on to deny the divinity of Christ. Of course it is nice to invite people of other faiths to be present for worship, but sadly this recitation reveals a naivety and the growing tendency towards a lack of confidence in the uniqueness of Christ.

My Muslim friends have a strong confidence in their faith and would not be at all happy if a passage like John chapter 1, which affirms Jesus is God, was read out in their mosque. So why did the leadership of the cathedral allow a recitation from a book which Muslims believe is the final unaltered revelation from God which supersedes the Bible?

Last year, Nigeria’s fabulously attired Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II,  declared that he loves Jesus even as a Muslim.

He made this declaration on his official Instagram page @SanusiLamidoSanusi, saying:

Many people are unaware of the fact that one cannot be a Muslim without loving Jesus (Peace be upon him) known in Arabic as Isa (Alayhis Salam).

24 responses to “Anglican bishop slams Koran reading in a Glasgow Cathedral”

1. sailor1031 says:

Gotta stick with the franchise. MacDonalds is NOT Burger King is NOT Hardee’s. If people start mixing it all up what’ll be left? – nothing but a bunch of fairy tales. Oh Rapunzel, Rapunzel!

2. Stephen Mynett says:

What is it with crazy religionists and their dress, do they want to be mocked. There have been some good ones over the years but I think a head dress which seems to be a banana with rabbit’s ears is the best so far.

Ever thought about a Freethinker religious fashion parade Barry, there have been some great costumes on show from the faith brigade.

3. Ruben says:

They all behave like spoiled brats don’t they.

Nazir Ali is a particularly unpleasant sneering example of holier than thou arrogance. I remember him getting really spanked by Franchesca Stavrakpoulos (?) when she declared, as an acknowledged expert, that there was very little factual truth in the bible.

Yep! Xtians, muslins. hindodo they all dress as funny as they (don’t) think!

5. Ruben says:

And here is the captioned funny version.

‘They [Christians] believe he is the eternal Word proceeding from the Father and son in this sense…’

Am I missing something here? I’m guessing it’s something so profound it can’t be understood? Surely it’s something in the no-man’s-land of fucking nonsense. Sorry while I walk into my bedroom wall to wake me up! Someone please hit me!

Barry – I just banged my head against the wall, opened my eyes and saw a multi-coloured bunny rabbit at the foot of the page! Is it true or have I suffered irreparable concussion – I need to know before I call the quack.

Better stop reading the Bible as well then:

The Emir of Fred Karno does sport some, to us, strange headgear, but I venture a guess that most Nigerians would find some of our “royal fashions” hilariously funny as well!

10. Barry Duke says:

In a round-about way, this report brings us round to this: “It is said that Jesus is God’s son, yet it is also said that Jesus is God. How can one being be both the father and son of itself? And how did God have a human son, or a son that could be seen by humans and interact with humans?

The answer is provided here: http://christianity.net.au/questions/how_can_jesus_be_both_god_and_gods_son

I have read it three times. First before my first scotch of the evening, and twice after the third. And I am still buggered if I can make any sense whatsoever of it.

11. John the Drunkard says:

The Koran specifically denies that Christ was crucified or resurrected. Which qualifies it as blasphemous in ANY Xtian context.

In Mohammed’s garbled, second and third hand, notion of the Tanakh and New Testament, he even assumes that the ‘Mary’ of the Gospels was the same person as ‘Miriam’ in the Torah. In other words, Mohammed thought that Moses was Jesus’ uncle.

@Barry D: I got to the ‘co-eternal’ bit, but then, when it went on to say ‘Jesus Christ although he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God as a thing to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men,’ I ran for the hills.
    How sane people can be duped by such illogical, irrational claptrap without the slightest shred of hard, credible evidence, is beyond me. But then there is always that catch-all word – ‘faith’. Let me off this mad planet!

13. Laura Roberts says:

I think I’ve seen that Sansui guy before…

14. andym says:

I’ve said this before, but this reminded me that we’re only a stone’s throw from an Islamic group claiming that images of Jesus are as big an insult to Islam as those of Mohammed. It would be interesting to see the reactions of the Christian apologists who said Charlie Hebdo had it coming for their disrespect.

Andym: I thought you were going to say that we’re only a stone’s throw from Christians claiming outrage over the lack of “respect” for their religious beliefs, because that’s the way things are going. Anti-abortionists are justifying murder in America to “protect unborn children”, so who knows what other twisted logic may be used by them in the near future when they’re so sensitive over such a thing as a Muslim reading from the Koran in one of their “holy places”?

Barry: “These are hard things to understand but well worth the mental effort!”

But better accept the risk that the mental effort may well lead to you being sectioned under the Mental Health Act. This is the ripest, steaming, incoherent non stop claptrack intended to obfuscate.

The intention is not that the reader will understand what is there as it is incomprehensible. The intention is that the bewildered and gullible Christian will think that somewhere in the gibberish there lies an explanation that could be excavated.

17. sailor1031 says:

@Barry: you aren’t supposed to understand the incomprehensible. The catholic answer to this trinity business is that it is a mystery. Simples. No brain required. It’s just a mystery.

There are other catholic mysteries to be sure. Some rainy afternoon there on teh Costa del Sol you could try digging into the “joyful” mysteries and then the “sorrowful” mysteries. This stuff never ends. We stand at the edge of an ocean of nonsense.

18. Barry Duke says:

@1859: Here are more pics of the Emir of Kano. I’m guessing the bunny ears are in fact a form of antennae that gives him direct access to Allah:

Barry: The link doesn’t appear to be working. Here are some Bing images:

I love the Rolls Royce!

20. Trevor Blake says:

Fair is fair. The majority of mosques around the world are welcoming to Christians, Jews, Hindu and atheists reading from their preferred texts during services as well.

Ah. No. No, not true. The openness and tolerance is always and eternally a one-way street. Stop being afraid of them calling you a bigot (while not becoming a bigot) and you are instantly free.

21. Trevor Blake says:

And which section of the Quran was read? Why, the passage that denies Jesus is the son of god. You know, the central tenant of all Christianity. It couldn’t have been more of a deliberate insult.

Me, I’m in favor of insulting religion at every moment. Can it be a little more evenly spread about, though? Can I go to a mosque and tell them they are mistaken and foolish without being marked for death?

22. […] Ashenden, according to this report, resigned his position as chaplain to the Queen last week after he voiced his opposition to a passage from the Koran being read in a Glasgow Cathedral. […]