God spake unto Australia, saying ‘build me a giant cross’

God spake unto Australia, saying ‘build me a giant cross’

Acting on an order allegedly received from Him Upstairs, a dotty Christian outfit called the Walk-a-While Foundation has sought, and won permission to build a giant illuminated cross atop a hill in remote Central Australia.

Now it need faith-heads to dig deep into their pockets to raise additional money for the ridiculous project which will apparently end up costing more than $1-million (£600,000).

Its fundraising page, which has so far attracted $42,498 (£26,000) of a goal of $92,000 (£56,000), has this to say:

God showed that he would face opposition to building the Cross. If this is as important as we believe it to be, and indeed part of the coming revival, then there will be spiritual warfare.

God said, ‘I don’t want just you and your indigenous friends to build the cross. I want the body of Christ to build it. This raising of the cross will unite the army of the Lord into action. You will need some strong centurion soldiers to walk with you.’

Well, among those who oppose the 22-metre high LED illuminated cross, due to be built near the Indigenous community of Haasts Bluff or Ikuntji, 230 kilometres west of Alice Springs, is Lutheran Pastor Paul Traeger, above, a field officer with the Finke River Mission who worked locally for 16 years. He said:

Because of the huge amount of money involved [the cross is] more like a medieval cathedral which takes money away from the poor or the needy.

Traeger said he would be disturbed if the Northern Territory Government supported the cross.

Why build a cross? Why not just have a caravan park? It’s beautiful scenery.

But the cross – brainchild of well-known landscape photographer Ken Duncan – has the enthusiastic support of deranged ultra-conservative Catholic actor and director Mel Gibson.

Gibson is a friend of Duncan and has toured the proposed build site.

People who donate large amounts of money will be given an archival print from Gibson’s film The Passion of the Christ signed by the actor, or props from the movie signed by Gibson.

Given that Gibson’s nett worth is $425-m (£338-m), one has to ask why he doesn’t pay for the bloody stupid cross himself.

The Walk-a-While Foundation had already raised hundreds of thousands of dollars from private donors and was lobbying local MLA Scott McConnell and Tourism NT, in a bid to raise an additional million for surrounding infrastructure.

The organisation did not specify the exact amount of money that had been raised, but Duncan said more money was needed for facilities like water and toilets at the site where the cross would be built.

Duncan said a number of businesses wanted to help — including Microsoft, which has donated computers to the project — but that he would welcome government support, with the project likely to create local jobs.

We’re going to come up with a product that people all around the world are going to want to come and try. It’s something the community wanted

Haasts Bluff traditional owner and community leader Alison Multa said the project rose out of a collective vision during an Easter Service sing-along several years ago.

God gave vision for kids and old ladies, old people and they saw stairs and God was talking to them. We’re all trying to get together and support [the cross] as one.

57 responses to “God spake unto Australia, saying ‘build me a giant cross’”

I have to admit, I do enjoy it when the occasional moron gets to come and play on here. Any chance you could let a few more through, Mr Duke?

2. remigius says:

AgentCormac. I believe that the Golden age of Trolling is sadly over.

I have fond memories of Billy Boswell the retarded pik upstanding member of the Christian travelling community.

Then there was John Michael George – who turned out to be a real priest. And Tom Estes – who turned out to be a real pastor.

And who could forget Zaki Aminu – who turned out to be a real nutter.

Their words of wisdom are forever preserved in the hallowed tomes of the Freethinker Archive, but I fear we shall never see their like again.

3. remigius says:

Oh bugger, I forgot Ken. Ken was my favourite.

Just on the insulting issue – I’m always reminded of something Orwell (I think?) once wrote: ‘if you fight too long against the dragon you become the dragon’. I would hate to think that I had become – even unknowingly to myself – a ‘rabid’, ‘bigoted’ or ‘militant’ atheist, indistinguishable from all the religious fruitcakes out there. It’s a little like hitting people over the head when you’re trying to convince them that physical violence is wrong. This is not turning the other cheek, it’s saying that we are morally better than this, but if the dangers and threats become too much we will act in self-defence – as Churchill did against the evil of Nazism.

5. Tony says:

When it comes to Xtian idiocy there is nothing new under the sun. Cross erection really took off in the States in 1984 when a loon, named Bernard Koffendaffer, felt called upon by the Lord to devote his life and money (he was an oil millionair) to putting up clusters of huge crosses along the American highways. By the time Koffendaffer, who was a bit of a coffindodger due to his dicky heart, was called to his maker at the early age of 68 in 1993, he had managed to despoil the countryside with some 5000 of the horrors. Now a new nutter by the name of Sara Abraham is carrying on the ‘good work’ with the aid of 1400 volunteers. And there were you wondering how the Americans could have elected a buffoon like Trump.

6. Tony says:

It intrigues me why Xtians like Seff always like to tell us that they used to be Atheists. Probably this is done so that the born again label looks like a step up in the thinking department. What I would like to hear from Seff is: what were the arguments you used to employ when you were an atheist and what deep reasoning brought you around to seeing the light of Christianity? Or was it, as I expect, that you were knocked of your bicycle and banged your head on a nearby lamppost.

@Tony. I doubt very much that people such as Seff were really Atheists at all, but one of those who sit on the fence and let themselves fall off into the religious side because it provides and intellectually softer landing.