Humanism book aimed at youngsters blasted by cleric

Humanism book aimed at youngsters blasted by cleric

Free Presbyterian minister Rev David McIlveen, above, is urging people in Northern Ireland to challenge a book on humanism that is being distributed to schools.

According to this report, McIlveen, said:

We know that humanism is basically anti-God and therefore anti-Christian. I think to advocate humanism can’t go unchallenged and I think it is important that people do have the opportunity to challenge that and I would appeal to Christian parents particularly to express a very strong and vocal opposition to the message of humanism.

His comments come after Northern Ireland Humanists revealed it has been sending out free copies of the book, What is Humanism? to primary and secondary schools across the province.

The non-fiction children’s book by authors Michael Rosen and Annemarie Young explores humanist views of morality and ethics and the relationship between religion and the state.

The books are being delivered to upper primary and lower secondary pupils following a crowdfunding campaign.

Northern Ireland Humanists, part of the British Humanist Association (BHA) charity, represent non-religious people in Northern Ireland.

The book also features content provided by broadcaster Stephen Fry, writer and broadcaster Natalie Haynes, and best-selling author Philip Pullman, who are all patrons of the BHA.

McIlveen, who has retired from Sandown Free Presbyterian Church in east Belfast, said that while it’s important not to censor literature, there is also a right to challenge the contents of the book.

He added that he feels strongly that:

There should be a clear barrier between the message of humanism and impressionable minds.

Northern Ireland Humanists trains and accredits celebrants here who non-religious humanist weddings, funerals, and naming ceremonies. It also provides trained pastoral carers in hospitals and prisons, alongside school speakers who can help teachers with delivering lessons on humanism.

Northern Ireland Humanists coordinator Boyd Sleator said the local religious curriculum is “dominated” by the Christian religions.

It’s important that schoolchildren also have the opportunity to reflect widely on the different beliefs and values that make up our society and the world we live in today.

Michael Rosen and Annemarie Young have created an excellent introduction to humanism, which is the name given to those rational, non-religious, ethical values which thousands of people across Northern Ireland rely on every day.

Children across Northern Ireland now have a resource designed with them in mind so they can improve their understanding of humanism.

It will come as no surprise to readers that McIlveen, who idolised Dr Ian (Save Ulster from Sodomy) Paisley, above, loathes homosexuals. Asked in this 2015 interview why he feels so strongly about homosexuality, he replied:

I don’t feel any stronger about homosexuality than I do adultery. Both are described in the Bible as an abomination. Homosexuality is unnatural. We are created in a very specific way, male and female. Biologically we are not created homosexual, we are created heterosexual …

17 responses to “Humanism book aimed at youngsters blasted by cleric”

‘I feel that for a child of primary school age, humanism is not something that should be put into their mind.
    I think that they are far too young to even make that decision as to the rights and wrongs of humanism and I think this is an exploitation of young people to try and indoctrinate them into a view that many people in Northern Ireland would reject.’

Ah, don’t you just love the stench of crass hypocrisy?

2. Leonard Ostrander says:

We can safely presume that the evil reverend has no objections to exposing young children to Christian indoctrination. “There’s no way I’d advocate or sanction violence against any individual but it’s important to express the truth,” except of course the biblical remedy for so called abominations is, without exception, death. I think the evil reverend should immediately stone himself to death.

I was indoctrinated by people like McIlveen and Paisley when I was young, and it literally destroyed my life. So, in time-honoured tradition, let’s fix his statement for him:

I feel that for a child of primary school age, religion is not something that should be put into their mind.

I think that they are far too young to even make that decision as to the rights and wrongs of religious belief and I think this is an exploitation of young people to try and indoctrinate them into a view that many people in [society] would reject.

BTW I wonder whether this creep is still on good terms with Mrs Iris Robinson (2008 Bigot of the Year), who called homosexuality an “abomination” that made her feel “sick” and “nauseous”, or does he think that she also should now be stoned to death for the abomination of adultery?

For a good belly laugh, search for Robinson on this site as well. (I’ve been asked before not to link to old topics here, and that one goes back several years now!)

Humanism doesn’t judge or condemn nor demand following a set of bizarre rules, unlike all the belief systems – what is not to like. McIlveen probably doesn’t like the competition of Humanism and the fact children will be exposed to humanitarian and egalitarian ideas. The hypocrisy of this idiot is astounding when speaking of impressionable young minds, the very audience that has been at the mucky hands of the religious for centuries – he wants to make yet another generation of bigots who can’t think for themselves.

“‘During the high priesthood of Abiathar, he entered the house of God and ate the consecrated bread, which was lawful only for the priests. And he gave some to his companions as well.’ Then Jesus told them, ‘The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath.'” (Mark 2:26-27)

The person who first said that – and I suppose we’ll never know now – was a humanist!

(PS Take a look at Proverbs and Ecclesiastes as well. Christians tie themselves in knots trying to reconcile the teachings of those books with their cherished beliefs.)

Another delusional religious nutter pissed off because a book is saying “be nice” and kids should be brainwashed reading the book o’BS that says hate!

8. Trevor Blake says:

“Those of us who believe the Bible which teaches us homosexuality is an abomination in God’s eyes, and a perverseness of sexuality, then we have to respond to it. That’s exactly what we do. Again I stress we do so in love. There’s no way I’d advocate or sanction violence against any individual but it’s important to express the truth.”

Well, which is it? A Biblical response that is an expression of the truth (as presented by the Bible) and the violence it CLEARLY advocates, or no advocacy or sanction of violence?

What does your God tell you to do in Leviticus 20:13, Dr. Paisley? And what does Jesus tell you to do in Matthew 5:18-19?

Pick a side, Dr. Paisley. Are you a liar or coward? I can grant you that you could be both, but if you feel more strongly about one or the other do speak up.

Ian Paisely = a velociraptor.

@1859: Wow – how did you do that?

Reverend Ian Paisley = Yea, insane perv idler

@ bj: I wasn’t trying to create an anagram. I just took one look at his terrifying face and the fear instinct took over.
    BTW I must congratulate you – you have clearly broken free of a murderous attempt at indoctrination which might have left me, personally, maimed for life. I was perhaps luckier as I was the child of a single parent of the 1950s who didn’t care much for the RC church, but who through pressure from the bigots in the family, had me baptised when I was 6 or 7. I was so incensed that someone poured water over my head I knocked the bowl of ‘holy’ liquid from the priest’s hand, ran out of the church and I never went back – ever.

@1859: I knew what you really meant!

You may have been luckier than you imagine. When he was very young, my father was a very pretty boy with curly hair, and on a train to Bridport to visit relatives one day (we’re talking 1920s) was taken into the toilet by a stranger. Fortunately, some children alerted my grandmother, who banged on the door until the culprit told her that “her son had wanted to use the toilet and he had merely been accompanying him”. That experience blighted his life, as she subsequently never let him out her her sight, and he became extremely homophobic (reinforced by some of his experiences in the Navy, I have to say!). Who knows how much abuse took place in churches and elsewhere in earlier days when victims were told to “stop making up stories”?

PS I knew many Irish Brethren just like the awful Paisley – loudmouthed, arrogant bullies, literally spitting bigotry – and the memory of them still sends a shiver down my spine.

13. […] one is in response to a story this week about the British Humanist Association sending out books to schools in the UK, and the ironic […]

14. […] one is in response to a story this week about the British Humanist Association sending out books to schools in the UK, and the ironic […]

15. Jim Jones says:

It’s interesting that they rely on bad or misleading translations of the bible.

Google “lyings of a woman”
    Google (centurion pais)
    Also toeveh is not ‘abomination’.

Odd too how they ignore what Jesus said (often) about divorce.
    And about marriage: Luke 20:27-36

“Christianity: 2,000 years of everyone making it up as they go!”

16. Warm congratulations to Northern Ireland Humanists for sending out free copies of the book “What is Humanism?” to primary and secondary schools in the province. This will provide a much needed antidote to the homophobic Christian propaganda children are bombarded with.

17. StephenJP says:

When you see someone fulminating about sex – especially homosexuality – on spurious religious grounds, it is often a safe bet that they are deeply conflicted about their own sexual orientations or preferences. When US evangelists go over the top like this, they are usually exposed shortly afterwards as involved with rent-boys or something similar. I do hope that Mr McIlveen is fireproof.