Beauty and the Beast banned by Alabama drive-in theatre

Beauty and the Beast banned by Alabama drive-in theatre

American actor, Josh Gad, above left in this still from Beauty and the Beast, plays the first gay character ever to be seen in a Disney production – LeFou.

This so annoyed the Christian owners of the Henagar Drive-In Theatre in DeKalb County, Alabama, that they took to Facebook to declare that the movie, due to be released in the US later this month, will not be screened at their establishment.

The drive-in theatre’s Facebook post, since deleted, said:

When companies continually force their views on us, we need to take a stand. We all make choices and I am making mine. If we cannot take our 11-year-old granddaughter and 8-year-old grandson to see a movie, we have no business watching it. If I can’t sit through a movie with God or Jesus sitting by me, then we have no business showing it.

The company acknowledged that their actions may be controversial, but concluded:

That’s fine.. We are first and foremost Christians. We will not compromise on what the Bible teaches. We will continue to show family-oriented films so you can feel free to come watch wholesome movies without worrying about sex, nudity, homosexuality, and foul language.

Gad, married and a father of two, tweeted that he was “proud” to play the role of LeFou in this latest production of the fairy tale written by French novelist Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot de Villeneuve and published in 1740.

30 responses to “Beauty and the Beast banned by Alabama drive-in theatre”

1. Newspaniard says:

Are you sure that the cinema owners are not muslims in drag? Their attitude smacks of islamofascism.

“We will not compromise on what the Bible teaches.”

Another example of having little knowledge of what their bible teaches. The teaching of the bible, and the contradictions are a problem, would render anyone incapable of living in the modern world.

3. Stuart H. says:

I thought the whole point of drive-in movie theatres is they’re somewhere where teenagers from small homes go to have some privacy – and sex.
    People go in families, sit in cars, and watch films?
    Christ on a bike, these Alabama faith-heads are sick. Or is it just the only place they can practice incest without a nosey social worker breaking up the fun?

4. Smokey says:

“If I can’t sit through a movie with God or Jesus sitting by me…”

Can you even take a piss without Jesus standing by you, holding your … hand?

“…without worrying about sex, nudity, homosexuality, and foul language”

You always worry about that. Obsessively. You mentioned sex twice, by the way. No, wait, you’re one of those. Nudity equals sex, right?

Dirty, dirty thoughts. Probably because god created you from dirt, while the rest of us evolved.

I hope good ol’ Josh never features Bible Stories in that “theater” of his!

6. remigius says:

barriejohn. Josh is the actor playing the gay character. He doesn’t,as far as I can tell, own any drive-in theaters.

Perhaps Barry could adopt a new policy for this site…

No wonder I didn’t have any success finding out anything more about him. I thought the actor was called Gad!

(Facebook page still down.)

My favourite drive-through photo has to be this (if Barry will indulge me!):

O. Winston Link – his railway photos are breathtaking.

9. remigius says:

“I thought the actor was called Gad.”

The actor is called Gad. In many cultures it is common to have both a given name and a family name. In this instance the actor’s family name is Gad, and his given name is Josh.

I did realize that, but Gad is also a Biblical name. I thought, for some reason, that Josh and Gad were separate people!

11. remigius says:

I can see that you are confused, but there was a clue in the text.

“American actor, Josh Gad, above left…”

When a given name is immediately adjacent to a family name it usually indicates a single person.

12. Gui says:

13. Marcus says:

The way I read the theatre’s statement, the owners’ granddaughter and grandson are God and Jesus. The proprietors are even more deranged than they appear at first glance.

Its a good thing that jesus is OK with intense violence and useless killing as they would have nothing much to see!

Remigius: Did you take a pedantic pill this morning? I made a mistake!

Marcus: I was always told never to go anywhere if I couldn’t take Jesus with me. Many Christians had this motto hanging on their wall:

Gui: It’s a public drive-in. I imagine that many people in the community would love to watch the film.

17. tonye says:

When I was very young I caught a Saturday evening showing of ‘La Belle et la Bette’ by Jean Cocteau.

Forgetting the complete rip off of the 1946 version by Disney ,its a truly beautifully shot movie.

There is a great blu ray version available.
    Sorry to go off topic…………

18. remigius says:

“Did you take a pedantic pill this morning?”

Pedantic is an adjective. That would suggest the pill itself is overly concerned with detail. Maybe you meant pedant pill – an imaginary pharmaceutical concoction designed to induce a temporary state of pedantry.

And no, I didn’t.

Now the Russians are considering banning the film:

One Million Mums have (has remigius?) also expressed their/its displeasure:

Oh, no; it’s One Million Moms!

(Things are a bit hectic here at the moment. I should really on one concentrate thing at a time.)

22. Paul says:

How did these fuckers get a man to the moon and not a film at the cinema?

23. Daz says:

@Gui

“But if it is a private stabilishment and the majority of it’s clients are supposedly christians, what is the problem with the owners not wanting exhibit a film that doesn’t have appeal with them and their clients?”

I’m not sure what you’re trying to imply. Just ’cause we are exercising our right to pour scorn upon them and their “reasoning” doesn’t mean that we’re denying them, or even attempting to deny them, the right to not show a film if they so wish.

Leaving aside the fact that we can’t possibly know what their clientele would wish to see or not to see, the owners have every legal right to show it or not to show it, as they see fit. From the viewpoint of those of us who wish to promote a decent and civil society, though, the existence of worldviews which see any mention or portrayal of homosexuality as immoral, sinful or whatever, is a huge social problem.

24. Matthew Carr says:

I’m just wondering if always having Jesus along would make all sex a threesome. Are these people more kinky than their constant moralizing would appear to make them? Maybe I’m over-thinking this, but I’m taking their sincerity at face value.

25. remigius says:

“I’m just wondering if always having Jesus along would make all sex a threesome.”

Only if he joins in. I think he just likes to watch.

It’s a real bugger for Christians on a day out, because they have to pay the entry fee for Jesus as well. What I always did was tell him to pretend to be under 14, and smuggled him in at the children’s rate. Such larks!

27. Cali Ron says:

Matthew Carr: I heard Jesus was a “back door man” and preferred to be on top/top in threesomes. I can’t prove it, but I have faith it’s true. Lends new meaning to phrase “Thy rod and thy staff comfort me.”

28. zombiehunter says:

they will just lose out on revenue so let the marketplace sort them out 🙂

29. […] because Disney has chosen to feature “an exclusively gay moment” in its new production of Beauty and the Beast, this Jesus lovin’ mama  – her name […]

30. […] has indefinitely pulled Beauty and the Beast from theaters in Malaysia rather than remove scenes involving a gay character to placate local authorities and religious […]