US pastor attacks insensitive hospital ‘prayer warriors’

US pastor attacks insensitive hospital ‘prayer warriors’

Jared Laskey, above, who heads a ‘supernatural’ ministry school in Virginia, has attacked a bunch of ‘aggressive’ Christians for behaving abominably in a hospital’s intensive care unit.

Writing for Charisma News, Laskey – of the Destiny Open Bible Church and Fireborn Ministries – tells of how a woman in a coma was targeted by a group of “special” Christians who promised the woman’s mother that God would hear their prayers for Katie (not her real name).

They entered the ICU and prayed over her. But then they started binding, rebuking and ‘casting out’ demons. They called for Katie to ‘rise up’,  getting in her face, with one lady taking oil and trying to anoint parts of Katie’s body that were covered up …

The louder they prayed, the more they worked up a sweat and became more aggressive. When the mother asked them to calm down, they retorted, ‘We will not be silenced!’

Due to their behavior, which upset the friends and immediate family members as well as other patients in the ward, the ICU nurses forced this prayer group to leave.

Lasky added:

This sort of behavior gives us charismatic Christians a bad name and can ruin our witness. What may have taken years of seed-planting can be destroyed in an instant due to the careless and insensitive actions of a zealous few …  Katie slipped into eternity with her closest friends and family by her side. Thankfully, her family were Christians who dismissed the actions of the zealous small group that had put on a show.

The ICU is a place for medical healing, not for aggressive warfare prayer that upsets the patient’s peace and rest. Warfare prayer is for another time and place.

I can only imagine the kind of damage done if her family didn’t believe in Jesus. The only winners in this scenario would be the ‘prayer warriors’, who walked off thinking they did something good when people’s eternity weighed in the balance.

Realistically, they hurt the kingdom of God for the family, patients and hospital staff as their behavior was arrogant and insensitive, lacking true compassion. In situations like this, Christians should abide by hospital etiquette…  Let’s show everyone we have faith but also the best hospital etiquette. Let’s not be rogue prayer warriors who malign the kingdom.

15 responses to “US pastor attacks insensitive hospital ‘prayer warriors’”

1. Vanity Unfair says:

Jared Laskey deserves some sort of award for being simultaneously so right and so wrong.

2. remigius says:

“…God would hear their prayers for Katie (not her real name).”

Is it any wonder she died – they were asking their god to heal the wrong person.

On the plus side though, there is some unrelated person called Katie who is making a full recovery after being accidentally magicked better by a misinformed supernatural entity.

3. CoastalMaineBird says:

they hurt the kingdom of God

That’s one fragile sumbitch, isn’t he ?

4. Trevor Blake says:

“And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. ” Matthew 6:5-6

Yes. Yes, please. Back to the closet with you all.

5. CoastalMaineBird says:

You mean… it’s HER FAMILY’s beliefs that saved her from everlasting torment ?

I don’t understand how this “salvation” thing works…

They are a rabble. No order, no thought, no restraint. And they think they are promoting their religion. These are defective people and there is little hope for them. Their indoctrination has damaged them beyond recovery.

I’ve said this before: When my sister was dying of cancer (only 33 years of age), she was visited daily by a couple of very odd “charismatic” women, who waltzed in, spent the whole day with her, and then disappeared without a word to anyone else in the house. For us, her family, the worst aspect of their behaviour was that WE didn’t get to share precious time with her, and when they had finished she was too tired to talk to anyone else. My brother-in-law should really have spoken to them about this, but, as always, everyone supposed that what they were doing was helping my sister at a very difficult time for her (to say the least). This is the way that the religious behave: trading on people’s tolerance, and pushing their agenda with arrogance and insensitivity. I’ve seen the same thing time and time again, but they’ll NEVER admit to being in the wrong.

8. Har Davids says:

I never understand religious people taking up space in hospital-beds. Their whole life is in their god’s hands, but the moment he wants them dead, they waste precious resources to delay meeting their maker. That care should only be available to the godless.

I still get pleasure from the comment of my dying Scot’s mother. I thought I might have been too ready to push atheism on her. I said that if she wanted me to get a minister I could arrange it. She said,

“If you let a minister near me at my funeral I’ll come back and haunt you.”

No problem mum. No minister. Lots of grieving relatives recalling happy days with you.

Broga: My Nan was a lovely woman, and loved by all her large family (eight children,and umpteen grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and even a great-great-granddaughter, whose photos filled her sideboard). She was 96 years old when she died, and had no interest in religion. Practically her last words were, “I think I’ve made everyone happy”, to which the reply was: “You have Mum.” Can you think of a better way to go than that?

11. cnocspeireag says:

barriejohn, that’s a wonderful way to be remembered.

@cnocspeireag@barriejohn: The grandparents of my generation, and I am now a grandparent, seemed grounded and focussed in a way we have lost. Perhaps they were influenced by WW2 and not having all the distractions via the internet and ready entertainment we have today.

Or perhaps I have got old myself and envisage an imaginary past. But I don’t think so. They seemed to have a certainty and acceptance of life that we now lack.

13. Prior says:

Morbid death loving stupefied losers. A nuisance and emabarassment to normal people.

14. Edwin Salter says:

So, a half decent bit of news and some very humane examples. Think we get better, more realistic, about dying/death /bereavement (from cremation to celebration). Most people seem to do as well as possible with their ending – they may be tired or brave – often try to make it easier for others (TTFN etc). Ghastly lamentations and fears (from religion of course – and how plausible was the spooky horror story?) hopefully diminish. The hospital religious chaplain is worth complaining about.

15. John says:

It has to be asked if the activities of the evangelicals may have contributed towards the death of the patient?
    Clearly, the ICU nurses lost patience with them so the very least that they contributed must have been delays in necessary treatments and – from what the report says – potentially dangerous cross-infections.
    After all, why should the evangelicals take any hygiene precautions when the power of their non-existent non-entity (in their minds) is THE decisive factor?
    With idiots like the evangelicals, who needs poor health?