Bus driver told boy that his lesbian moms would go to hell

Bus driver told boy that his lesbian moms would go to hell

Natalie Encarnacion, above, is demanding action against a Florida school bus driver who told her son that his same-sex parents were sinful, and handed the boy a Jehovah’s Witness card.

According to this report, Encarnacion claims that the driver, identified as Violeta Jacobo, told her seven-year-old son that his two mothers would go to hell for their same-sex relationship.

One afternoon, in the beginning of February, her son had missed his bus from Alta Vista Elementary School, so a different bus driver took him home.

Encarnacion said:

He mentioned [to the bus driver] he was hoping his two moms wouldn’t be upset that he was home so late. She said ‘whoa God doesn’t like that’, then she went on and on to tell him how he wouldn’t make it into heaven and there is a such thing as hell.

She claims the bus driver even sent him home with a Jehovah’s Witnesses card, and told him to have his parents watch a video link printed on the card.

Later that night, he explained why we should not be together anymore. He is absolutely questioning this now, something we have so smoothly transitioned into and never had any issues with.

She added in this report:

I am extremely devastated. My home life and everything is being affected by this. My son is rebelling against our relationship and it’s just putting everything into question. It’s really upsetting … This has put hate in his heart.

According to Polk County School Board spokesperson Jason Geary, the matter is under review. He told News Channel 8 that a supervisor spoke to the bus driver and instructed her that she must follow the code of ethical conduct.

She has been instructed by her supervisor on how to properly interact with students.

According to Geary, Violeta Jacobo remains an active bus driver, employed since August 31, 2012. There is no disciplinary action listed in her personnel file, even after the incident.

Geary told News Channel 8 that this incident would likely be added.

Dustin Shay, of Polk Pride Florida said:

It’s my understanding that there will be some form of documentation in her file. I looked up the code of conduct, and it specifically states that harassment or discrimination based on orientation, family circumstances, political views or financial or otherwise, among others, is strictly prohibited. So I feel like some action should be taken.

Shay told News Channel 8 incidents like this are the reason that Polk Pride Florida holds community events.

I think as a community, we need to make sure we’re recognizing that not everybody is the same. Everybody comes from different families: single households, double mommies, double daddies … It’s not something that should be repeated.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

28 responses to “Bus driver told boy that his lesbian moms would go to hell”

You know this dimwitted ahole drives a lower grade bus!! If I was in high school and that was tried, the driver would be butt-hurt big time (no I don’t mean violence). The driver was lecturing a young kid too young to know how to tell the driver to fuck off!

What is with the religious and their overt displays of ignorance and bigotry, are they expecting their non-existent god to pat them on the back for being such morons.

3. Paul says:

Upsetting 7 year olds probably counts as a good JW thing to do, but the ‘heaven entrance examiner’ might not like it. Moreover, there are only 144,000 places – and I doubt she’ll gain entry as no bus drivers are required there.

No mercy for children then? That bus driver couldn’t debate a mature person. She can strut her nonsense about God to kids.

“God doesn’t like that.” Indeed. Because her God doesn’t exist.

5. andym says:

They are all so confident about the will of their God, until asked an awkward question when it becomes blasphemous to try and understand the mind of that God.

6. cnocspeireag says:

I don’t imagine a Florida driver who explained to a child of Xtian parents that there was no god but Allah would still be driving.

7. Stephen Mynett says:

So two caring same sex parents are wrong but two JW parents that will sit by and watch their children bleed to death rather than have a transfusion are OK.

Stephen Mynett: Good point. Christians make such wonderful parents!

9. Emily says:

I’m just a bit hesitant to embrace this story as ‘gospel truth,’ pardon the pun, because apparently the Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t believe in hell as we commonly understand it. Rather, they think that people will go into a ‘deep sleep’ when they die and that the good will be resurrected on a paradise on Earth on Jesus’ second coming. Again, maybe there’s a ‘glitch’ somewhere in this story. Perhaps this woman doesn’t know her faith’s theology (especially if she’s a recent convert), but we might keep in mind stories like the Maria Kislo incident and look at this one with some caution.

10. Gui says:

Emily:
    Jeovah’s Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists subscribes a conception called Anihilationism. Accordingto this, the sinners’ soul are condemned to utterly destruction after the Final Judgement rather than an ever lasting torment.

The annihilationist view is heavy opposed by the fundamentalist christians in general.

11. Emily says:

To Gui, thank you for the information. Yes, the concept of annihilationism is quite different from that of the fundamentalist churches or of the Catholic and mainstream Protestant churches, for that matter. I think people tend to think of Jehovah’s Witnesses as fundamentalists, which they are in some ways (they don’t believe in evolution, for example), only more extreme, but in reality, their theology is quite different. I’m not so familiar with the Seventh Day Adventists. At this point, they’re generally viewed as more ‘respectable’ than the Jehovah Witnesses, or at least not as extreme. As far as I know, they don’t forbid blood transfusions or refuse to associate with people who leave their church (which the Witnesses do). Anyway, thank you for the information. What’s your view of the bus driver story, by the way? I guess I would say I’m not ‘cautious,’ not totally sceptical but feeling it might not be quite as it’s being portrayed.

12. Emily says:

Sorry, meant to say ‘I’m cautious.’

13. Gui says:

Emily
    I read the news on its source and thought that the card shows nothing offensive at first view. And the version presented is only of the child’s mother, so is quite difficult know if the things happened like what was related.

Now another thing about the JWs and Adventists: both of them are considered sects, but by what I know the laters have a much more open relation with others groups around than the first ones.

14. Emily says:

Thank you again, Gui. I think both groups, the Jehovah’s Witnesses and the Seventh Day Adventists, started out as ‘doomsday cults.’ However, when the end of the world never materialized, the Seventh Day Adventists kind of backed off their previous stance while, as far as I know, the JWs still preach that the world is ending soon. Yes, I also think the Seventh Day Adventists aren’t as ‘isolationist’ as the Jehovah Witnesses, who generally discourage their followers from associating with ‘unbelievers’ unless they’re trying to convert them.

I’m still waiting for further details of the story. Perhaps there was a ‘misunderstanding’ (ex. the mother misread the child’s card and it was actually a pamphlet from another religious group). However, I can’t rule out the possibility of a hoax. Hopefully we’ll find out what really happened.

News Channel 8 spoke to the driver and she did not deny any of this. It is reported elsewhere, with slightly different accounts of what was said.

Jacobo allegedly told the boy in Spanish that he won’t get into heaven because of his parents’ same-sex relationship and gave him the business card.

Encarnacion said Jacobo also told her son what a couple is supposed to look like according to the Bible — a man and a woman — and what it would be like to not go to heaven.

“He came home, gave me this business card and told me we have to go look at the videos on this website,” Encarnacion said. “He told us (that having two moms) is not right and God doesn’t like that and it’s the reason we’re not going to make it to heaven.

“I’ve gotten a lot of backlash because I’ve been told Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t believe in hell,” she added, “but what he described to me is what I think of as hell.”

Jehovah’s Witnesses centers in Lakeland and Haines City did not answer phone calls Thursday from The Ledger. Assembly Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Plant City did not return a phone message.

“The School District’s review of this incident has been completed,” spokesman Jason Geary wrote in an email. “She has been counseled by her supervisor on how to properly interact with students, including not to discuss or promote religious matters with students.”

It seems pretty straightforward to me, though “going to hell” is possibly down to the copywriters!

Seventh Day (Sabbath) Adventists (Return of Jesus), like the Bounty mutineers of the Pitcairn Islands, and John Harvey Kellogg, are much more mainstream than Jehovah’s Witnesses, who follow the prophetic teachings of Charles Taze Russell, and use his translation of the Bible (what a surprise!). They take literally the statement in the Book of Revelation that there are 144,000 souls in Heaven, so the remainder of the faithful (the Great Multitude), will, according to them, populate the New Earth instead. They are, indeed, Annihilationists, and do not believe in the existence of Hell. Every prophecy of the Return of Jesus has, amazingly, turned out to be false, and they got around this, at one time, by claiming that Jesus DID return, but was “in the clouds” just waiting to set foot on Earth. No amount of evidence is capable of convincing such people that their beliefs are absolute nonsense.

17. Cotswoldsguy says:

Encarnacion,honey. As a gay man in a happy Civil Partnership I really do recognise the pressures we feel from bigots who misrepresent the love we have for our partners and vilify us for our sexual orientation and supposed lack of moral code. How wronged we feel, and how wrong they are.

BUT, equally I feel for those in other groups who are misrepresented in the same way and hold disdain for groups who cloud our views with misinformation about them.

Jehovah’s Witnesses do not teach or believe in Hell Fire and torment, neither do they believe that Souls bungey jump across the Universe. They hold to the original Biblical teaching of The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth. When we die, we “sleep” and await for a Resurrection. They are tough on church members who practice their homosexuality, and will excommunicate them if we don’t tow the line.

However, I do know from personal experience that they are often blighted by the “Christian” far-right who spew the most ridiculous allegations against them.

Please do your research and don’t hold this misinformation against any group. Get their point of view and that will quickly clear up any misconception. Any JW reading this can correct me if I have summarised their stance incorrectly.

Jaw Jaw Jaw not War War War. May all humanity come together one day in Peace and mutual understanding.

All happiness to You and your partner and child.

18. Emily says:

Well, we’ve had quite a conversation here! I guess the one remaining question is where the ‘hell’ came from (a misinterpretation on the bus driver’s part of her own church’s theology, the mother – maybe using it as a figure of speech – or the little boy). About the Seventh Day Adventists, I think at this point the thing that causes them to stand out is not their millennial approach (which, as I say, they’ve backed away from considerably) but their healthy living advocacy (from ‘Your body is the temple of the Lord’) and the fact that their day of worship is Saturday rather than Sunday.

19. Gui says:

Emily
    Do adventists use the same system of the jewish sabbath, wish starts at the crepuscle of friday and ends in the next day’s crepuscle, or it is the saturday itself?

20. Emily says:

Hi, Gui. I’m really not sure of that. You might wish to look up information online about that; I’m sure they’d have it somewhere.

21. Lola says:

Dumb Religitard cunt. That’s why people are leaving the made up religion shit behind. Stupid bitch. No one wants to go to heaven with these fucktards anyway. Not that it even exists but if it did who would want to go there with the religious freak show.

22. Emily says:

Thank you, Barrie John. I also believe that some Seventh Day Adventists are vegetarian, although I am not sure what Biblical verse they would use to justify this. However, the idea that their Sabbath begins on Friday sundown is similar to that of Jews (the more observant Jews; there are plenty of secular Jews who identify with Judaism as a cultural rather than religious phenomenon). There seems to be a movement now of ‘Messianic Jews’ (some of whom are not ethnically Jewish) who try to integrate traditional Jewish practices in their faith. I think they’re a separate phenomenon from the Seventh Day Adventists, who, as far as I know, have been around for some time.

As we’ve observed before regarding Muslims and fasting, what do they do when at or near the Poles? Their infallible book gives no instructions regarding this eventuality; it’s almost as if their god lived in the Middle East and didn’t even realize that there might be a problem of that sort!

More here:

Fancy the teachings of the Bible becoming out of date with the progress of humanity! How could such a thing ever happen?

25. […] capable of raising 3ethical, well-adjusted families, I found this particular story interesting: Bus driver told boy that his lesbian moms would go to hell According to this report, Encarnacion claims that the driver, identified as Violeta Jacobo, told […]

26. Emily says:

I’m awaiting the results of the investigation. Again, the inconsistency between the bus driver telling the child his mothers would go to hell and the fact that Jehovah’s Witnesses don’t believe in the usual Christian version of hell still raises some questions.