Kindergarten resists Muslims’ demand to sack gay teacher

Kindergarten resists Muslims’ demand to sack gay teacher

Muslim parents in Germany who want a a gay teacher removed from a kindergarten have been told to put up or shut up.

The parents, according to this report, threw their tantrum in the northern district of Reinickendorf after they discovered the teacher’s sexuality. They then threatened to gather names for a petition against him.

At first the protest led the young man to request to be transferred to another kindergarten. But the management of the preschool put their foot down and gave the parents a blunt message: accept the teacher or put their kids in another preschool.

Apparently the parents had a problem with the fact that the young man was in physical contact with their children and would take them to the toilet.

The teacher in question said:

For some of them, a gay man is automatically a paedophile.

Many of the parents have since taken their kids out of the kindergarten.

The case has led to a public discussion on the difficulties homosexuals face in gaining employment in primary and preschools.

Stephanie Nordt, a spokeswoman for the initiative Queerformat, an organisation which provides classes on gender and sexuality in education:

The general suspicion against males becomes even more potent against gay educators.

On Twitter under the hashtag #Erzieher (kindergarten teacher), people showed support for the young teacher.

Wrote Green party supporter Christoph Peschke.

It’s important to show our colours! For tolerance, for teachers, homosexuals and the LGBT community. Don’t give homophobia a chance!

Another user commented:

Muslims protest against teacher – the problem? He’s gay: welcome to the Middle Ages.

The outcry has also led to a response from the capital city’s government.

Said Sandra Scheeres, the senator for education from the centre-left Social Democrats (SPD):

We don’t tolerate discrimination. We want to raise the number of male kindergarten teachers so that they become important role models for children.

Scheeres said that she did not know of another case in Berlin in which a gay nursery teacher was discriminated against, but added that:

Again and again, parents treat male nursery teachers with suspicion.

But Die Welt reports that this isn’t the first time a gay nursery teacher has faced discrimination because of their sexuality.

In Neu-Ulm in Bavaria, a lesbian teacher did not have her contract extended in 2012 when her Catholic employer found out she was gay.

Hat tip: Antony Niall

22 responses to “Kindergarten resists Muslims’ demand to sack gay teacher”

So there are a large number of stoopid bigoted aholes over there too!! Great now I don’t feel privileged in have aholery in USA only! I don’t count isLame controlled areas as they are just plain demons!

2. remigius says:

“For some of them, a gay man is automatically a paedophile.”

And yet the man they idolise, often to the point of murderous obsession, was himself a paedophile. I don’t think they’ve thought this through.

3. David says:

“Die Welt reports that this isn’t the first time a gay nursery teacher has faced discrimination because of their sexuality”

I suspect you’ll find that he faces discrimination because of the bigotry of others rather than his personal characteristics.

It’s narrow-minded bigotry pure and simple – Oh, I forgot, it’s religion – that deep, philosophical mindset that has the correct answers to everything for everyone for ever!

5. StephenJP says:

Not that christians are any more enlightened, it has to be said.

6. Daz says:

“For some of them, a gay man is automatically a paedophile.”

Ah, the days—all of thirty-odd years ago—when even self-described western liberals thought it okay, daringly progressive even, to say “They’d be okay if they would just leave kids alone.” It’s so unfair how people get criticised for airing their “sincerely held” bigoted views these days.

(Umm. I hope I don’t need to point out that the above was sarcasm?)

7. Paul says:

I do wonder how the religious mind leaps from what this chap probably is, namely a gay man who is likely capable of loving another adult male, to becoming an adult male desparate to have sex with child.

8. Playonwords says:

Firstly it is not all Islam only the fundamentalist elements

Secondly fundamentalist Christians and Jews are also ant-LGBT

So try “Kindergarten Resists Faith Fundamentalists Demands,” as your headline

9. Daz says:

“Firstly it is not all Islam only the fundamentalist elements”

I completely agree, and have often come in for a fair amount of stick for trying to point this out. However in this case, the distinction is pedantic. The people making the complaint are Muslims. The description is accurate. And nowhere in the OP is it implied that their views are representative of those of all Muslims.

I agree that to an extent we should go out of our way to make sure that bigots cannot quote-mine our words easily and to make it clear to Muslims who are far too often targeted by those bigots, that we are not tarring them all with the brush of extremism, but it’s possible to take it too far and end up walking needlessly on egg-shells.

10. John the Drunkard says:

The ‘non-fundamentalist’ Muslims are either dead or in hiding. Yes the other Abrahamic superstitions have no shortage of shocking violence and bigotry built in. In the U.S. they wear it proudly, even though most Xtians manage to maintain amnesia about ‘those’ passages in their book.

ALL Islam is ‘fundamentalist.’ That the Ummah has been in continuous fratricidal warfare since Muhammad wasn’t even cold in his grave, speaks volumes about the moral and social usefulness of religious authority.

11. Peter Ratcliff says:

If the Islams in question were “fundamentalist” they wouldn’t have enrolled their kids in an otherwise secular kindergarten in the first place. Don’t let them off the hook by suggesting that it is their fundamentalism that’s the problem, it’s their religion, pure and simple!

12. sailor1031 says:

Remigius; not only was their prophet a pedophile; he is also the finest man who ever lived and an example whom they must all follow. Pedophilia is an obligation of muslims; one which, an observation of their history and culture shows, they take very seriously.

13. remigius says:

Sailor1031. Not so long ago I considered myself to be the finest man who ever lived. However it was pointed out to me that such a man would possess both deference and humility – two qualities that I sorely lacked.

I thought about what they had said, and after a period of reflection I had to admit that they were right, maybe I didn’t have what it took to be the finest man who ever lived after all. And hey presto – I qualified!

I’ve never shagged a nine year old though.

Kindergarten Resists Faith Fundamentalists Demands.

Daz is right; they were Muslims, so the original headline is correct.

It seems difficult to say whether these particular parents would be considered “fundamentalist” or not, but it does appear to be only a number of them, and others are, apparently, quite happy to leave their children at the school. What I would say, especially from my own experiences, is that in many religious groups the more extreme and fanatical members often gain the ascendancy, being more domineering and, in the eyes of many , holding to more “pure” beliefs. I think this can also be true of political parties, trades unions, and pressure groups of various kinds. The history of the Plymouth Brethren has been littered with various factions splitting off because they wanted to take a more hardline approach, and others who had had enough of the narrowmindedness and petty restrictions, and wished to take a more liberal path. Often, those with a less fundamentalist attitude are afraid to speak out for fear of being seen as weak and too ready to compromise their beliefs.

16. David Anderson says:

Send your child to a school that has a gay teacher or one that has a priest. Which would you choose?
    No contest!

17. DDN says:

Invite those who have a problem with gays fuck off to a country of their choice where gays can be thrown from tall building or beheaded

18. sailor1031 says:

Remigius: I am glad for your abstention. I know it may be hard but you will be rewarded by not doing a long stretch where you would be at some risk.

Barriejohn: reminds me of the mennonites my lovely wife escaped from in her youth. More splinter groups than you can shake a broken stick at. Garrison Keillor had a chapter on this in “Lake Wobegon Days”. They were “Cox brethren” and so numerous they could hold services in someone’s front parlour or even porch.

19. remigius says:

“Remigius: I am glad for your abstention. I know it may be hard…

No really. I like my women like I like my whiskey – at least 12 years old and drunk in an armchair.

(I’m gonna get some stick for that one!)

@sailor1031: Hahaha – I knew a Brethren couple who ran an “assembly” in their living room above their shop. He was the sole elder, as far as I know, and their son and daughter (who played the pump organ) were the other members. Most took a very dim view of the whole setup. I knew of another brother who, with his supporters, walked out of a large Brethren assembly in the North of England one Sunday morning, and even members of other denominations told me that “he just wanted to set up a church where his daughters could preach” – which he did.

I’m going to have to get that book some day!

“I’m not interested in eternal things – I’m Episcopalian.”

21. Tony says:

Damn Daz – I just checked out that link. Worrying stuff.