Muslim call to prayer dance remix sparks death threats

Muslim call to prayer dance remix sparks death threats

El Guitone nightclub in Nabeul, Tunisia has been shut down and is currently under investigation after video clips appeared on social media of Dax J, above, playing a remix of the Muslim call to prayer .

Death threats against the British DJ soon followed, according to this report.

Dax J had been making the rounds in the city as part of Orbit Festival (alongside Radio Slave, La Fleur, DVS1) and played at the nightclub last Friday. Footage was shared of clubbers dancing to the “offensive” track.

The manager of the nightclub has since been arrested for:

Violation against good morals and public outrage against modesty.

The Governor of Nabeul, Mnaouar Ouertani stated:

We will not allow attacks against religious feelings and the sacred.

The BBC reported that Ouertani said that the club would “remain closed” until further notice.

Organisers of the Orbit Festival have publicly apologised via their Facebook page and is reported here as saying that the incident could have happened at any party in any country.

Dax J did not intend to provoke your anger or offend you. He didn’t believe that this could offend you … It is unfair that 20 sec of music ruined it for an event of 2 days and prepared for many months. We do not want to interfere in religious debates.

They added that there was no intention of:

Tarnishing the image of Islam, which remains a religion of peace and forgiveness.

In a statement released by Dax J he said:

I want to offer my sincere apologies to anyone who may have been offended by music that I played at Orbit festival in Tunisia on Friday. It was never my intention to upset or cause offence to anybody.

His Facebook page has been temporarily shut down following a wave of death threats over the weekend.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

64 responses to “Muslim call to prayer dance remix sparks death threats”

1. Prior says:

2. Brian Jordan says:

@barriejohn
    Sorry to hear about your medical problem. It’s grim waiting for a diagnosis, I know. I hope it goes well for you.

3. Paul says:

Remigus
    I have met several people at work over the past two years who have used Reiki to rebalance their lives, (? ok), one buys expensive crystals and uses them howsoever and whatever that means. Another says she is unhappy and that’s because she isn’t vibrating on the right level, but she can do that now she’s paid for a life changing very expensive ‘course’, she is, more likely, clinically depressed which isn’t hard to see.
    Both are divorced with children and dare I say it ‘suffered’ as a consequence so the expensive but valuable and wonderful new age ‘science’ is a godsend.
    And yes they are both still single.

4. remigius says:

“Another says she is unhappy and that’s because she isn’t vibrating on the right level…”

I think I know what her problem is – and it has nothing to do with crystals. She simply needs new batteries!

5. remigius says:

“Oh dear … the kiddies seem to be petulantly sensitive to criticism … and need to learn to read properly so better to understand what is written.”

Prior – A lot of of us are worried about barriejohn’s arse (some of us for quite some time!). So tell us, oh great sage, which of your words of wisdom have failed exegesis.

Yes, and now I seem to have another pain in the arse!

7. David Anderson says:

barriejohn:
    Sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope you will recover soon, young man.

Having been only mildly exposed to religion (Sunday School, and one lesson a week of RE at school) I was an atheist by the time I was eleven although I didn’t know what atheism was then, I am always interested in your comments and others who were indoctrinated into religious cults. With your knowledge of this it gives me a better understanding of the mind set of such people,please keep it up.

Policeman Prior can piss off.

8. RussellW says:

barriejohn,

Good luck and best wishes. Today I’ve just finished a session of treatment for the big ‘C’ myself.
    It’s interesting to read the comments of someone who has actually been a believer. Despite a religious education, I’ve never been a believer, however the next year or so will put me to the test.

Russell: Yes – it’s a shock when you get it in black and white, as opposed to all the veiled references, so I wish you well. I have cared full time for my mother, who is now 93 years old and has severe dementia, for the last ten years, and when I told my aunt what was going on her immediate response was: “And the say there’s a God!”. She and my uncle lost their son to a massive stroke at about 55 years of age. My nieces lost their mother to breast cancer when they were all very young, and their father was murdered about eight years ago, yet there are still some members of the family who cling to their religious beliefs, but most of us have woken up to reality now!

10. remigius says:

Reading through this thread, and many others, I can see that there is some confusion as to what constitutes an ad hominem.

An ad hominem, or more correctly an argumentum ad hominem, is where an attack on the person is used instead of a rebuttal of the substance of the argument. Take this example…

Flat Earther – ‘I can prove it. Maps are flat therefore the Earth is flat.’

Skeptic – ‘You are wrong because you are a crackpot.’

This is clearly an ad hominem. Contrast with…

Flat Earther – ‘I can prove it. Maps are flat therefore the Earth is flat.’

Skeptic – ‘Maps are flat because a Mercator projection is a practical way to represent a 3-dimensional object on a 2-dimensional plane. If you believe otherwise you are a crackpot.’

This is clearly not an ad hominem. The substance of the claim has been rebutted, and the crackpot jibe is merely obiter dictum.

11. RussellW says:

barriejohn,

Yes,in my opinion, the problem of theodicy has always been the killer argument against Christianity in particular and religion in general.

My wife died at 55 from breast cancer, surprisingly none of her religiot friends were stupid enough to express any of the standard religious platitudes to me.

12. Paul says:

Oh dear the lad is going by to prison.

13. remigius says:

“Oh dear the lad is going by to prison.

Oh no he isn’t – “London-born Dax J, was charged with public indecency and offending public morality – but had already fled the country before the court case.

14. SJ says:

Sadly, he’s likely to be sentenced in absentia, and a warrant issued for his extradition. Unfortunately the new governor of the district where the club was is a Salafist. Salafism is a ultra-conservative Sunni Islamic sect (think Saudi Arabia’s brand of Sharia bet with less freedoms).

Personally, if a fatwa has been issued, it just shows how pathetic an ideology Islam is (and remember Sunnis hold grudges – there are a good few who still want to murder Salman Rushdie). If you don’t want your beliefs mocked, then stop believing stupid shit. There are too many stupid ideologies – and not all are religious. Veganism is one such (although the fervour with which veganists defined their BS, in the face of overwhelming evidence showing it to be utter bollocks, it may as well be. Case yesterday of a veganist mother refusing to vaccinate her 2 sons (aged 2 and 4) and then being forced by the High Court to discharge her duty as a parent (she’d been taken to court by the boys’ father who, obviously was a responsible parent). I just wish the judge had had the balls to go one step further and award custody to the father (although the article didn’t specify whether he was a veganist although, as he demanded his sons be vaccinated, I suspect not. I’m concerned about the kids’ general health as a plant-based diet isn’t healthy (for humans or the planet).