Easter idiocy: London are buses displaying the words of Jesus

Easter idiocy: London are buses displaying the words of Jesus

Deranged evangelical, Howard Conder, inset above, wants buses throughout the UK to display the words of Jesus, and his plan got off to a grand start in London, where 75 vehicles are displaying Jesus quotes until April 24.

According to the Christian Institute, millions of people this Easter will be seeing the quotes “thanks to a new evangelistic campaign” led by Conder, who says in the video below that God gave him a vision to launch the “costly” campaign, and he hopes that it will spread to other parts of the country and “to the ends of the earth”.

Among the quotes are: “Everyone who lives and believes in me will never die”, “I am the way the truth and the life”, and “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest”.

Quote Jesus, the name of the Conder’s campaign, says the initiative is about addressing the lack of hope in a disillusioned generation, and about showing millions of people the hope that the Bible offers.

Said Conder:

Our vision for this campaign is to influence the hearts, minds and perceptions of this generation, to offer them hope and faith for a better future.

He spoke of the comfort of Jesus’ words, saying:

The Bible is a book of hope and this generation is missing out because it has little knowledge of what the Bible has to say.

Support for the campaign has been widespread, with endorsements being received from Christians in America and Australia.

It comes eight years after a controversial atheist bus campaign by the British Humanist Association.

At the time, some buses featured advertisements saying:

There’s probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.

At the time cross-party MPs attacked:

The religiously offensive and morally unhelpful advertisements.

50 responses to “Easter idiocy: London are buses displaying the words of Jesus”

1. Raul Miller says:

Oh, I’ve got a good one:

“If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple.”

Oh well, what can be expected from the little bastard; with his absent father and all.

Raul Miller: What fantastic mind reading skills you have. I was just about to look up those very words!

PS It’s a good job they were careful how they spelt the word “coming”.

PPS Here’s another interesting little quote of Jesus, just to add to what he has posted on the bus:

“Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.” (Matt. 24:34 KJV)

Funny how they’re not so keen on publicising that one.

Howard Conder is the controversial founder of Revelation TV, which, surprise, surprise, has not been without controversy, mainly involving its finances:

6. Alan Crowe says:

They should use this one from Matthew 6 and get the loonies off the streets.

‘And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. 6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.’

7. remigius says:

I recognise that bus photo. It was originally carrying a muslim advert, but has been photoshopped to show a Christian one. How odd.

More about Howard Conman and his obnoxious family here. If I were them I’d be keeping a low profile!

9. Paul says:

Do not worry as this Cristian lot from Leicester can buy a ticket on the bus as they’ve got money from Liz.

10. CoastalMaineBird says:

“London are buses”

Richard Dawkins – The Day of the Conder:

12. lonbo says:

I find these messages to be secularly offensive and morally unhelpful advertisements.

And in other news, faux outrage from the pious, pompous prat Richard Coles because Tesco mentioned good Friday in a Beer advertisement. http://www.bbc.com/news/business-39587226

Ever notice how 99% of jesus quotes are flat out lies????

15. Paul says:

Angela
    Wtf!
    Cheaper beer / what’s not to like about that?

Angela: That story merits a thread of its own! Michael Wakelin is also a pompous prat, though he no longer exercises such an influence over BBC broadcasting (maybe that’s his problem). He apparently had no objection to Angela Rippon’s legs being displayed at Christmas, but how very insensitive of those po-faced Christians to be celebrating at Christmas when they must surely know that many people are remembering friends and loved ones who passed away on Christmas Day. Have they no compassion or sense of common decency?

@barriejohn. Yes, the Christians bristling with hypocrisy as usual – they are quiet about the all the cheap booze sold at/for Christmas. There are many people for whom Christmas is a difficult time remembering absent friends; for most, that time of year is for family and friends to get together, nothing to do with a mythical person whose birthday wasn’t even on the 25th!

18. Seff - nephew of Bob says:

Hi, again, I will tell you why these words make among the reverend readers of the freethinker such uproar: “For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart”. If they had originated from an ordinary human being they would be like water off a ducks back however they do come from the Savior of Yours – JESUS therefore devil triggers in your minds such anxiety and anger.Tomorrow is Good Friday, I wonder why there is no article about it?

And probably wasn’t executed at the Passover!

20. Oh Really! says:

Why oh why do businesses run scared of the whingey whiney religious minorities?

Vicar and broadcaster, the Reverend Richard Coles, said the advert was “extraordinarily and unnecessarily ignorant”.

Now that is a bit rich coming from an ignorant and extraordinarily deluded halfwit. Its easter … and do most people give a flying fuck what people like the sanctimonious Coles thinks or says? Its easter … a spring holiday and beer really does make parties and barbecues and picnics and friendly gatherings go a little better as well as being refreshing and tasty. So I suggets Coles fucks off to church and worships his nonexistent imaginary friend quietly and unostentatiously with the few other like minded sad disfunctional killjoys who turn up while therest of us enjoy a better easter without his petty bitching. Oh and I will be enjoying a chocolate egg too … but I will not buy it from spineless sycophantic tescos.

21. Daz says:

Well, if we’re gonna have Jesus’s words splattered all over buses, how about:

“Indeed, I am the servant of Allah . He has given me the Scripture and made me a prophet”
    [Source]

Oh dear, Seff has been resurrected! Quite simply the words on the bus of which you speak are utter bollocks and an affront to common sense, reason and logic.

“Soon” obviously means something quite different to people like Seff than it does to the rest of us.

24. Seff - nephew of Bob says:

barrienjohn: Yes, “soon” was said over 2000 years ago, I would rather say: at hand, is that what you mean? To be more specific there won`t be any armagedon as it were, just the end of atheism era. The Universal Reign of Divine Laws. Hi Angela- I have been to my shrink and he officialy declared I was Ok. Shall I find another one? You all seem to be experts in this area.

25. Daz says:

There was an atheism era? Damnit, I must get out of this habit of blinking.

26. Dave says:

Aren’t adverts supposed to be truthful? Hence the inclusion of the word ‘probably’ in the atheist bus advert.

27. Paul says:

Dave
    Adverts are not meant to be truthful at all.
    They can state what they like, however impossible or silly.
    It is only if they make a comparison with a competitor that they have to be truthful.
    In English law it’s called a ‘sellers puff’. And can be as outrageous as they often are. And this is backed up in law of a Latin maxim Caveat Emptor, let the buyer beware. Bit like religion, which should just be aware.
    The Dawkins bus advert was him being truthful because we don’t know for sure there is no god just the facts fly in the face of it.
    So Seff son of Bob is back. He will ‘die’ over the next few days then come back then he will bugger off for good I think (that’s just like the fairy story he likes isn’t it).
    Hamdullah. Troll lol lol lol lol

28. Paul says:

Daz
    Interesting link.
    Aren’t they not supposed to like music. So why sing the words.
    Don’t do as I do, do as I say.
    Hmmmmm.

29. Neil says:

Doesn’t matter how you put it, Seff – ‘soon’, ‘at hand’, ‘within this generation’, ‘while those standing here are still alive’ – the second coming/judgement/arrival of God’s Kingdom didn’t happen in the time scale Jeebus set for it. Well past its sell-by date now, the entire barrel of crapola needs thrown out once and for all, not plastered all over buses.

Breaking news that will excite all readers of this blog: The BBC are now showing Fern Britten’s Holy Land Journey, in which “Fern Britton travels to Jerusalem on a life-changing journey of faith in search of the real story of Jesus’s final days, from his triumphal arrival to his brutal crucifixion.” Everything in the Bible is being taken as “gospel” (naturally), though the corpulent priest in flowing robes who is showing her around did say at one stage that “some imagination is necessary”, and I thought : “You can say that again, mate”. I’m not watching any more, as a five-year-old could ask more searching questions than the superannuated presenter, but you can watch here if you wish:

31. Brian Jordan says:

Radio 5 got a bishop on this morning about the Tesco fiasco. He could do nothing but preach. Then when he was confronted by a student from Leicester’s Atheist Humanist and Secular Society, who pointed out that Easter was, as usual, a Christian take-over of an earlier pagan custom, he could only repeat the identiacal preaching. He didn’t even trot out the old tale that the pagan thing was just down to a typo by Bede.

Neil: The religious play with words like this all the time, and even as a Christian I got sick of it. John Nelson Darby’s Translation is accepted by evangelicals as extremely reliable, and here is his rendition of the verse:

“Verily I say to you, This generation will not have passed away until all these things shall have taken place.”

How the hell can you argue with that?

Brian Jordan: Why did Tesco apologize? Craven cowardice in the face of more confected “outrage”. I despair.

34. Daz says:

@Paul

The topic of music—what’s allowed and what isn’t—is a quite the bone of contention between various sects of Islam. And so far as I can tell, many Muslims quietly ignore the rules anyway—a bit like western Catholics and the rules regarding condoms. So there isn’t really a monolithic “they” in the sense that you put it.

That said, I’m not sure what you mean. My link wasn’t to a song, but to a passage from the Qur’an, wherein Jesus performs his first miracle; speaking as a newborn baby. I just thought the Christian reaction to an Islamic Jebus-quote on the side of one o’ them buses would be amusing.

35. Paul Cook says:

Daz
    well they are monolithic for sure. The brain’s appear made of stone if you follow a paedophile and believe he flew to heaven (whatever that is) on a winged horse..
    In the link there are sound buttons with the sayings. It’s singing in all but name.

Daz: If you click onto Play some guy sings it to you! I agree with Paul; Christians have the same problem as Muslims, in that “sacred music” (whatever that might mean) is acceptable, but everything else is “of the devil”. Music was invented by one of the descendants of Cain (“His brother’s name was Jubal; he was the father of all those who play the lyre and pipe”*) and is thus “fleshly”, yet it is widely used in Old Testament worship, which rather upsets the neat NT distinction between the flesh and the spirit. Once again, they have to tie themselves in knots to live by ridiculous rules and regulations which supposedly earn the approbation of their god. (* Gen. 4:21)

Paul posted while I was typing!

37. Paul says:

Barriejohn
    It may be that music was invented several times by different evolutionary humans.
    I have a book which refers to an incredible swan bone flute – made by neanderthals: The Singing Neanderthals.

38. Daz says:

Oh aye. I’d assumed the “play” button was to a spoken version. I’d just not been curious enough to click it to find out. (Acapella, it seems, is the most widely accepted musical form.)

Paul: Neanderthals were “pre-Adamic”!

Daz: Many Brethren assemblies, especially in Ireland, still shun musical accompaniment, at least at the Breaking of Bread meeting, and I don’t think that any Exclusives use instruments.

40. Daz says:

Just to address the “It’s singing in all but name” point: It most definitely is singing. It’s just not based on the usual western diatonic or chromatic scales. I have only a passing knowledge of “exotic” scales and I’m a by-ear player anyway, but I’d guess, from having listened in on conversations by people more knowledgeable than I, that it’s either the Phrygian dominant scale or the double harmonic “Arabic” scale. The latter of which you may recognise from film-scores. Or, if you’re a surf-guitar fan

So, Misirlou is a feminine form of the Turkish word for Egyptian – “learning all the time”!

The following article is interesting:

I was tempted to suggest that they might think that their Arabic chanting is the music of Heaven. I remember Christians arguing over whether they speak Hebrew there (honestly!).

42. Daz says:

@barriejohn.

I’ve only skimmed it, but yeah, it definitely looks interesting. Both ’cause I’m interested in music and ’cause I’m interested in religion.

On a secular note (hah!), I’d urge anyone interested to check out Naseer Shamma. The bloke’s a freakin’ genius, as far as I’m concerned.

43. Paul says:

Barriejohn
    I wonder then why we have some Neanderthal DNA.
    Misir is the Turkish world for Egypt – it also means corn. Misirli means ‘with corn’.
    And the Turkish vowel i is one without a dot.

44. Stuart H. says:

Bit late on this train, but Richard Coles ,as in the former Communards keyboardist, said that about Tesco? Very disappointing. I had him down as the acceptable face of vicaring – technical advisor and supposed role model to the lead character on’ Rev’, etc.

I must say, this new habit of UK mainstream Christians taking a pop at Tesco is a little unsettling.

Having lived there a while, and still having strong links there, I know that in East Europe ‘moral’ attacks on Tesco are rooted in neo-fascism, and even the church leaders (well, to be blunt, the church leaders in particular) dwell on its Jewish ownership. If it’s spreading to the UK, more than time for the media to ask professional Christian godbotherers some tough questions.

Incidentally, spent a couple of hours in Tesco myself today. Sorry Richard, but Golgotha it definitely wasn’t.

45. Brian Jordan says:

@Stuart H
    Is Tesco still Jewish-owned? It’s a long time since Lord Cohen’s day and most big companies are owned by conglomerates and insurance companies these days. Even Marks and Spencer may be owned by Arabs now – Qatar was reported as planning a take-over in 2013.

46. Paul says:

The largest shareholder of Tesco is the central bank of Norway Norges Bank and then its the usual suspects of major investment firms like Black Rock.

47. Stuart H. says:

@Brian – truth is, I don’t know.

What I was really getting at is that in eastern Europe if you want to stir up the ignorant for economic or political gain you pick an efficient, international organisation and suggest that the target of your hatred is controlled by Jews. The Catholic, Orthodox and Calvinist churches are not just involved in that stirring, they actually began it in the mid-1990’s. The new Euro-nazis could never have developed without that church backing. What really worries me is the way that practice has now spread through Western Europe, including UK, with little or no opposition.

So when a poorly informed criticism of large corporate groups is taken up by UK churches – under the pretence of ‘anti -globalisation’ – without exploring where the criticism started then I think it’s absolutely fair to slate even mainstream churches, often construed as liberal and progressive, for helping the hate groups.

Stuart H: I couldn’t agree more. I’m sure that we are all critical of the morality of some large businesses and financial companies and institutions, but much “protest” is ill-informed to say the least, and half-truths and down-right lies are bandied about with abandon. Papers like the Mail often feed the populist flames, and one can often see the same sort of lynch mentality at work that we observe amongst the religious.

49. Playonwords says:

Let us not forget Easter is a Lunar festival named for a pagan goddess that uses the pagan symbolism of the hare and the egg which supposedly celebrates an act of human sacrifice.

The only reason why it is associated with Jesus is because the Gospelist John and the early Church didn’t want Jesus associated with the Jewish people who were the scapegoats for the execution

50. Gui says:

“What I was really getting at is that in eastern Europe if you want to stir up the ignorant for economic or political gain you pick an efficient, international organisation and suggest that the target of your hatred is controlled by Jews. The Catholic, Orthodox and Calvinist churches are not just involved in that stirring, they actually began it in the mid-1990’s.”

That is strange considering that Jesus himself was supposed a jew. And, if I’m not wrong, this kind of thinking is more common in the refered denominations than in the Pentecostals.