OMG! Poundland’s promotional sticker upsets devout Christian

OMG! Poundland’s promotional sticker upsets devout Christian

Committed Christian Lizette Franklin, inset above, went into a state of shock when she clapped eyes on a ‘revolting’ OMG! promotion at her local branch of Poundland  – and has vowed never patronise the store again until the the signs are removed.

According to this report, Franklin, a South African now living in Kinross, Scotland, was “absolutely disgusted and appalled” when she headed into Poundland’s Dunfermline branch, and assumed that OMG! was short for “Oh My God!”

However, the retail giant stressed the campaign was in fact an acronym for “Oh My Goodness!” A spokesperson for Poundland said:

We can assure her we have no intention to cause any upset with our ‘Oh My Goodness’ signage. While we know ‘OMG’ is in common use – especially online –  and people differ on what it stands for, our overall intention is to surprise and delight customers with the amazing value we offer.

Franklin isn’t buying it. She said:

To me it expresses the name of the Lord and can be taken as disrespectful. If it was to mean Oh My Goodness they should have written it out.

She said she will boycott what is still one of her favourite shops until the offending campaign ends. She estimated she has spent a minimum of £100 every month for the last three years at the branch.

I am an absolute fan of the store. But when I saw this I was really in shock. It was as if the name of the Lord has been made fun of and disrespected all over the store. It is as if the name of the Lord was being used in vain to promote prices and this is revolting to say the least.

This is disrespectful to us as Christians and should be removed at once.

A while back got her pretty little Christian knickers in a twist when she saw a man strip naked on a beach before donning a diving suit. She recounted her experience on her Facebook page in June 2014. When a friend pointed out that Brighton, on the south coast of England, had a nudist beach, she replied:

Dont think we wil go there,,, little white soft winkies isnt really my idea of attraction. ….hahaha.

Having been an regular at the beach every summer for the eight years I lived in Brighton I can assure Ms Franklin that the “winkies” on display weren’t all white – and certainly not all “little”.

Speaking of offended South African Christians, back in 2011, a deodorant ad featuring angels ran into trouble with the country’s Advertising Standards Authority, which banned it.

The advertisement for Axe deodorant (known as Lynx in Britain) features winged, attractive women crashing to earth in an Italian town.

The scantily-clad women are then drawn towards a seemingly unremarkable man preparing to get on a moped. They regard their quarry lasciviously while sniffing the air before one by one smashing their halos and advancing towards him.

A voice-over says:

Excite, the new fragrance from Axe. Even angels will fall.

A viewer who complained to the ASA) said the suggestion that God’s messengers would literally fall for a mortal because of a deodorant was incompatible with his belief as a Christian.

The ASA agreed, and ordered Unilever SA, which sells the product, to withdraw the TV commercial.

The ASA said that the angels themselves were not a problem, but:

They are seen to forfeit, or perhaps forego their heavenly status for mortal desires. This is something that would likely offend Christians in the same manner as it offended the complainant.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn (Poundland report)

26 responses to “OMG! Poundland’s promotional sticker upsets devout Christian”

1. SimonJ says:

Dear Ms Franklin, why don’t you just fuck off back to South Africa.
    regards, SimonJ

2. Dave says:

Some people get upset at the most ridiculous unimportant things.

As they say words mean exactly what I want them to mean!!
    When you have a living language this is more true then most people know!

4. StephenJP says:

“I can assure Ms Franklin that the ‘winkies’ on display weren’t all white – and certainly weren’t ‘little’ “.

One hardly dare ask whether any of them were soft…

5. Chuck Long says:

That very ‘Christian’lady seems not to know the name of her God. The word ‘God’ is a title, not a name. The name of her God, as I understand it, is YAHWEH. Also known as ‘I AM’.

6. Marcus says:

Hmmm … Franklin, according to her FB page likes the Black Eyed Peas. This from their their song I Got A Feeling:
    “Tonight’s the night
    Let’s live it up
    I got my money
    Let’s spend it up
    Go out and smash it
    Like Oh My God
    Jump off that sofa
    Let’s get get off.”

A Christian who should be committed gets her five minutes of fame and days of ridicule – what an idiot.

8. Paul says:

Looks like she’s got more pounds than Poundland.
    Hamdullah

So what if it was meant as an acronym of “Oh my goodness”?

Goodness… (as a substitution for ‘God’) expressing surprise, anger, etc.

But so what anyway?

“What a load of old shit!”

11. remigius says:

If everything in Poundland is £1, then why is the OMG promotion £2 and the WOW promotion £5?

I would suggest another promotion…

Jesus H. Christ on a Bike – This is a Lot More Than You Were Expecting, Eh!!!

12. remigius says:

Ah, I see. Just checked and found out that everything is a pound, except those items that are not a pound. Makes sense.

I also see that Poundland have recently bought 99p Stores. I wonder how much they paid?

Remigius: It reminds me of a very funny TV sketch of which I can find no mention on the net, in which John Bird (I believe), dressed as Harold Wilson (in full Order of the Garter regalia) explained the new First Class Post to the public:

“Second Class Post will be in no way inferior to First Class Post, but First Class Post will be better.”

Oh My Goolies!
    Oh My Gonads!
    Oh My Galoshes!
    Oh My Grapefruits!
    Oh My Gaberlunzie!
    Oh My Galdragon!
    ……with freedom of expression one can have lots of fun with language. This woman needs to get some open-minded fun into her religious life. Funny, I work with many (white) South Africans (Afrikaans speakers), and they too are all very ‘churchy’. They have never, ever been exposed to the irreverent comedy and satire that UK people have. The Afrikaaners banned TVs until the mid 1970s and then controlled everything that was broadcast – poor fuckers, no wonder they are as they are.

15. tonye says:

For ‘Committed Christian’ read ‘Pain In The Arse.’

Marcus: Well spotted.

1859: It could mean anything you want it to mean. Like “Our Magnificent Giveaways.” I think Poundland were a bit slow there!

“Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled.” (Tightarse 1:15 KJV)

17. David Anderson says:

Oh My Gilipollas!

18. Brian Jordan says:

Oh My Giddy Aunt!
    Surely all these euphemisms stem not from using a name “inappropriately”, but because of an ancient pre-Christian ban on the use of any name at all for their sky fairy.

19. Steve says:

Oh Her God. This is what’s uppermost in her list of things to be offended by?
    Get real woman.

20. Daz says:

Ossified Marigold Gloves.

21. Trevor Blake says:

“Oh my God, I cry by day, but you do not answer, and by night, but I find no rest.” Psalms 22:2.

Yeah, I’d be upset too if I had a deity that never responded to my magic spell prayers. Never once, not for thousands of years. No matter how the starving child suffered, no matter how the deserving sailor drowned, no matter how the barren woman pleaded, God is silent. Century after century. Pretty upsetting.

Maybe there is no God.

@Trevor Blake. All those millions of religious people over thousands of years asking their gods for various things and no reply. You’d think the religious would have reached the same conclusion as us by now.

23. Laura Roberts says:

Or, to offend hypersensitive Ayn Rand fans, Oh My Galt!

24. Playonwords says:

Because if you invoke the demon even by implication he will come and kill you while devouring the souls of your children.

Playonwords:

I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me…You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not leave him unpunished who takes His name in vain.

From those inspiring and uplifting “Ten Commandments” that every evangelical American seems to want displayed in schools and public buildings throughout the country!

26. remigius says:

barriejohn, I think it’s good that God recognises he suffers from jealousy. Admitting that one has a problem is the vital first step to being able to manage and, hopefully, alleviate a condition.

He should sit down and talk through his issues. I would suggest starting with his irrational fears – shellfish, mixed fibres, bumsex, periods etc. Then, when they are sorted, work on his more serious failings – anger, misogyny, megalomania etc.

I believe that given time, and encouragement, God could become a productive member of society rather than the nasty, violent dickwit he is known to be.