Tacky ‘Jesus is my life’ tattoo proved deadly for Texas man
Just months after getting a religious tattoo, a 31-year-old man from Texas died after he fell victim to flesh-eating bacteria.
According to a paper published in the medical journal BMJ Case Reports, the patient – identified only as a Hispanic man – was admitted to Parkland Memorial Hospital in Dallas with severe pain in both legs and feet. He also had fever, chills, and a reddening over his tattoo and other areas of his skin.
Five days after getting a leg tattooed the man decided to go for a swim in the Gulf of Mexico – breaking a cardinal rule.
Fresh tattoos are to be kept clean and covered and should not be immersed in any type of water to avoid infections. It’s unclear from the report whether the patient was aware of these instructions.
Three days after his swim, he went to the hospital complaining of severe pain and redness and irritation over and around his tattoo.
Lead author Nicholas Hendren, MD, said:
Within the first 12 to 24 hours his pain and discoloration in the leg advanced and developed what’s called bullae or fluid-filled blisters.
Doctors diagnosed the man with septic shock due to an infection with vibrio vulnificus, potentially deadly bacteria found in certain coastal waters that are present in higher concentrations in warmer months.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, vibrio causes 80,000 illnesses and 100 deaths each year in the US. Most people become infected by eating raw seafood, particularly oysters, but exposing open wounds to brackish or salt water can also put a person at risk of infection.
People with compromised immune systems, especially those with chronic liver disease, are more likely to get vibriosis.
According to the case report, the patient had a history of cirrhosis of the liver and drank six 12-ounce beers daily.
Within 24 hours of admission, his condition declined with progressive septic shock and multi-organ system failure. Doctors put him on life support and treated him with aggressive antibiotics. Despite initial improvement, he continued to suffer complications related to cirrhosis, renal failure and necrotic skin lesions. He died two months after he was admitted to the hospital.
Doctors say that most healthy people who contract vibrio won’t end up in the hospital because their immune system is strong enough to fight it off. However:
All patients with chronic liver disease and haemochromatosis [excessive iron level in the body] should be instructed to avoid raw oyster ingestion and avoid swimming in seawater with open skin wounds,
Additionally, anyone getting a tattoo should follow all care instructions closely to ensure safety. Hendren said:
For patients who get new tattoos, it’s really important to listen to the recommendations. Usually the tattoo parlors will provide clients with information about avoiding taking baths, avoiding swimming, definitely avoiding swimming in the ocean because that fresh wound is an entry way for bacteria, so keeping it clean is very important.
Another rule is to give talentless tattooists, such as the one who inked the unfortunately Texan, a very wide berth.