Seven Catholic priests walk into a pub in Cardiff and ….

Seven Catholic priests walk into a pub in Cardiff and ….

They get told to remove themselves because a member of staff thinks they are on a stag do and are wearing clerical fancy dress.

According to this report,  the seven seminarians, including Reverend Robert James, pictured above, found themselves barred from the City Arms last Saturday afternoon, despite protesting they weren’t in in priestly garb for a laugh.

But they received drinks on the house when the manager realised they were the real deal.

Matt Morgan of The City Arms told Wales Online:

When we realised our mistake we quickly apologised to the priests and thankfully they were all great sports and saw the funny side of the situation.

He added:

Our Rev James ale is one of our most popular beers so it was great to have a real-life Reverend James and his fellow priests enjoying a pint or two!

Father Michael Doyle said the seven went to the pub in Quay Street to celebrate the ordination of Father Peter McLaren at Cardiff Metropolitan Cathedral of St David near Queen Street.

The City Arms has a no fancy dress, no stag do policy.

Doyle said it was a double celebration because Fr McLaren was the second to be ordained to the priesthood in a week.

After the priests were beckoned back in, Fr Doyle said the group stayed in the pub most of the afternoon chatting to locals, and also discovered that one of them shares the name of one of Brains brewery’s most popular ales. He told the Press Association:

Reverent Rob James decided to buy the barman a drink and, of course, one of the Brains beers in Wales is the Reverend James, so the Reverend Robert James bought a Rev James for the barman.

The priests said:

All in all, the seminarians were both entertained by the whole affair and encouraged by the positive reaction of the local community prompted by the clerical collar. We look forward to future visits to the well-known establishment.

The Archdiocese of Cardiff added:

We’d like to thank the City Arms for being good sports through all of this and their kind gesture to our seminarians – and please note a number of our clergy, including the Archbishop of Cardiff, frequent your bar so don’t turf any more out please!

18 responses to “Seven Catholic priests walk into a pub in Cardiff and ….”

1. Daz says:

Personally, I recommend the Rev James “Original.” A very nice pint indeed.

2. Cali Ron says:

I heartily support them joining my religion, Partying.
    My church, the pub.
    My most sacred site, where the party is.
    My holy sacraments, beer and baby back ribs.
    My prayer, drinking.
    My holy incense, sinsemilla.
    My Arc of the Covenant, ice chest.
    My commandments: the golden rule; a friend in need is a friend indeed; don’t spill the beer; don’t bogart that joint.
    My Holy symbols, the ‘tap’ and the ‘bong’.
    My Holy books, The God Delusion and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
    Clergy welcome, but no proselytizing allowed.

Let’s keep the clergy drunk and in the pub so they can’t get their perverted hands on our children.

“Seven catholic priests walk into a pub”Sounds like the start of a joke on “Father Ted”. Or, did they mistake a Pub for a school.

4. andym says:

Well , everyone comes out of it rather well, don’t they? The catholic church, the pub, the brewery and Rev James x2. They’re all calling one another” good sports.” Is the whole thing a publicity set-up?

5. Laura Roberts says:

Love Cardiff, love Brains (and love that when Brains used to sponsor the Welsh rugby team, the name on the jerseys was”Brawn”). The pub loses points for not wanting anyone to poke fun, however. Bad mojo.

I’ve even known a priest or two that I’ve liked. All ex-priests, though.

The following appeared in several newspapers a few months ago:

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers?

(I don’t think alcoholic beverages are being partaken of there!)

7. Daz says:

@barriejohn

Yet more of life imitating art.

I thought the religious aholes were against using drugs to have a good time!?!? At least that is what the religious(wrong) are always going off about! Next time some religious dim condemns drugs, point to this story and watch them declare catlicks are not true xtians!! Which is really strange since their gawd-dud made drugs out of water for a party!!!

9. tonye says:

@Angela K
    You beat me to it!

Daz: But which base is he on?

“Hilarious” must be the most overworked word on ‘tinternet, but this really is:

11. Cali Ron says:

barriejohn: Clearly first base, Because is in center field, Why is in left field and I Don’t Know is short stop.

I enjoyed the modern version, very clever.

Cali Ron: Being British, I naturally view Baseball as “Rounders for men”, and know nothing about the game whatsoever!

13. Cali Ron says:

barriejohn : Understandable. The names and positions were taken from the original skit, but are probably only funny if you are familiar with the skit. No knowledge of baseball is required to appreciate it. You can goggle ‘who’s on first’ and it should pop right up.

BTW, I am American and have to ask what is rounders?

But every Sunday catholic priests drink spirits?

15. Gary says:

Bloody hell, barriejohn admitting that he does not know something.

Oh; you’re “Gary” now, are you?

17. ray metcalfe says:

When it comes to ale and the churcg might I recommend Julian church brewer in kettering Such ales as More tea vicar Twisted spire and bigus dickus.