‘Burqas on a bus’ photo sows panic among right-wing loons

‘Burqas on a bus’ photo sows panic among right-wing loons

A bunch of right-wing, xenophobic Norwegians were made to look like idiots when a picture of an empty bus was posted to their Facebook page, along with the question ‘what do people think about this?’

The Facebook group – Fedrelandet viktigst (roughly translated as ‘Fatherland first’) – reacted with horror to what they saw as a busload of burqas.

Interpreting it as evidence of the “Islamification” of Norway, members sounded off on how “frightening”, “tragic” and “scary” the scene was.

One wrote:

It looks really scary, should be banned. You can never know who is under there. Could be terrorists with weapons.

Another said:

Get them out of our country, those who look like collapsed umbrellas. Frightening times we are living in.

Yet another said:

I thought it would be like this in the year 2050, but it is happening NOW!!!!

According to this report, the picture was originally posted to the group’s page by Johan Slattavik, who, being bored one night, decided to play “a little practical joke” on group members.

Slattavik said he was curious to see how people would react. He said he was shocked that so many people fell for it, but:

I ended up having a good laugh.

The responses from the closed group went viral after Facebook user Sindre Beyer posted screenshots of people’s incredulous reactions. He wrote in a post that was shared over 1,500 times and elicited widespread mockery of the Fedrelandet viktigst group:

What happens when a photo of some empty bus seats is posted to a disgusting Facebook group and nearly everyone thinks they see a bunch of burkas?

Beyer told Nettavisen that he has been following the group, which has nearly 13,000 members, for some time now.

I’m shocked by how much hate and fake news is spread there. The hatred that was displayed toward some empty bus seats really shows how much prejudices trump wisdom.

That’s why I shared the post so that more people can see what is happening in the dark corners of the web.

The head of the Norwegian Centre Against Racism (Antirasistisk senter), Rune Berglund Steen, said that the irrational response to six empty bus seats just goes to show how quickly people jump to conclusions.

People see what they want to see and what they want to see are dangerous Muslims. In a way it’s an interesting test of how quickly people can find confirmations of their own delusions.

Steen said the photo portrays a scene hardly ever seen in Oslo, no matter how you look at it.

The buses aren’t full of creepy Islamists and neither do they typically have so many empty seats.

9 responses to “‘Burqas on a bus’ photo sows panic among right-wing loons”

I love illusions and that one is awesome!! It brings out the truth of what people think, as that is what they see.

We cannot experience reality. Only the story part of our brain creates based on genes, memories, experiences and feelings. And yet we are so ready to be certain.

3. Rob Andrews says:

When I first glanced at the picture, that’s what I thought as well. I took a while before I just saw the that the’re head rests.

The two in front look like they have eye slots.

But….but you have to ask why? Why would people jump so quickly to this conclusion? Yes it is an optical trick, but it feeds into fears that have been implanted by recent tragic events around Europe. Of course, these ‘fears’ could easily give way to prejudice and racism which should be condemned, but the pictures trigger instinctual fears for a reason.

5. Robster says:

Perhaps the bagged ladies of Norway could gain employment as actual bus seats? There does seem to be an unemployment issue for many afflicted with the Islam faith, this could be a clever response.

6. Stephen Mynett says:

This reminds me of another sad knee-jerk response that Barry may have highlighted on here a while back. A lady who was in remission from skin cancer wanted to take her grand-children to the beach but as she had followed doctor’s advice to protect herself from the sun was vilified by a few yobs for being Islamic, simply because her sun protection was a headscarf.

On a brighter note, I do not bother with this site so much these days so it was very nice to pop back and see Broga here again. I hope you are doing well as I always enjoy your comments.

Stephen Mynett: Many thanks. After a bout of illness I’m fine. Fully recovered.

8. Laura Roberts says:

Unfortunately the prank is only going to validate those who deem any criticism of Islam “Islamophobia” or worse, “racism”. There’s stupidity on both sides of the aisle.

And I say this as a fairly hard core left winger myself.