Evangelical Christians blight Lake District town of Keswick

Evangelical Christians blight Lake District town of Keswick

Hop across to Evangelical Focus, and there you will find a a report that over 4,000 people recently converged on Keswick to do a bunch of dotty Christian stuff over a three-week period, including listening to lectures by Canadian theologian Don Carson, pictured above.

The Keswick Convention mercifully ended in the first week of August, and locals, breathing a huge sigh of relief, said “good riddance”.

And for good reason, for the evangelicals do nothing for the picturesque town except throttle tourism and insult the locals by calling them “sinners”.

According this report, the tranquil town, with its fudge shops and dog-friendly pubs, sees its revenues plunge when the joyless, penny-pinching 142-year-old Keswick Convention comes to the area. Angry traders say their takings plummet by as much 90 per cent when the KC sets up camp for three weeks at the height of summer.

Grumbled Garry Price, general manager of the Kings Arms Hotel in the market square:

It shouldn’t be allowed. This is a nice tourist town where families come to enjoy the scenery, but they can’t visit because everywhere is booked up for the convention.

Shouldn’t this please him?

No, because:

The conventioneers take up the accommodation and the parking spaces, but they don’t spend their money in town. We’ve even had people on the street telling everyone they are sinners.

It’s getting on people’s nerves. You just can’t hear yourself think when the convention is in town.

Tom Rennie, the owner of Keswick’s 103-year-old cinema, the Alhambra,  said:

I usually get around 60 people per show. But it’s a write off when the convention starts. We only had 11 at one show during the convention. There’s a great deal of resentment in Keswick.

Pubs have also reported a drop in evening trade – with a picture posted on social media showing one  bar completely empty at 10.15pm on a Saturday night.

Keswick town centre

Will Thomas, the manager at the Golden Lion, says:

We’re busy when serving food when the convention is here, but afterwards there’s an exodus from the bar. Our drinks sales drop, especially on Friday and Saturday nights. The convention should be held in February instead.

Adventure company Keswick Extreme has also reported a drop in trade of up to 70 per cent during the convention while the Keswick Launch Company, which offers rowing boat hire and cruises on Derwentwater, says it has been decidedly quieter on the lake in the mornings .

Locals also claim that the evangelicals demand special treatment in restaurants and are so mean that they even take their own teabags into cafes.

The Keswick Convention began in 1875 with a prayer meeting in a tent on the lawn of a local vicarage – and like a cancer its been growing ever since.

Towards the end of last week, thousands of fundamentaloons in waterproof coats could be seen gathering in the rain at an encampment of large marquees on the edge of town for morning Bible readings and evening celebrations, and at the convention’s headquarters in Skiddaw Street, where the words “All one in Christ Jesus” are etched on the wall.

The theme for this year’s convention was “Captivated: Hearing God’s Word”

Townsfolk are also gravely displeased over plans to move the convention back a week from this year’s opening date of 15 July to the 21 July in 2018 – the start of the first three weeks of the school holidays in Cumbria and many other parts of Britain.

Dozens of traders crammed into a town council meeting to complain that the convention is “throttling” local businesses and to appeal for it to be moved to a quieter time of year. The local newspaper, the Keswick Reminder, in print since 1896, told in a front page headline how businesses are warning:

We don’t want you here for half our summer holidays.

And an online petition, which has been signed by more than 2,000 people, says:

Keswick is the adventure capital of England and it is essentially closing its doors to the outside world while the convention is happening.

There are also concerns about a plan by Keswick Ministries, which runs the convention, to create a £10-m permanent home for the event at the town’s former pencil factory, with 60 beds, a dining area and conference centre.

Jutta Devenish from Keswick Ministries says the annual convention brings £2.5-m to the town and £250,000 is spent each year on accommodation for volunteers and staff.

The proposed date change next year is because school holiday times are changing across Britain, she says. Families attending the convention have free afternoons so they can explore the local area.

Traders could consider adjusting opening times to work around the convention, including earlier meal times for people going to evening events, she adds, and petitions and “ranting” will “not achieve anything”.

It is important to us that, as members of this town, we find ways to engage with other members of the town constructively. Conversations are the best way forward. You will not find anyone in town who can say that we are not willing to talk and to hear from the community. The question is whether they are willing to engage constructively.

Speaking at one of Keswick’s beauty spots – the Derwentwater foreshore – Brian Price, an antiques dealer, said:

We’re not anti-Christian by any means. This is the most beautiful view in the country. I’m lucky I get to see it every day when I walk my dog. It’s idyllic. But no-one is here to enjoy it when the convention is on. They’re stopping hundreds of other people from coming to Keswick to enjoy this stunning view.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

47 responses to “Evangelical Christians blight Lake District town of Keswick”

1. andym says:

‘“ranting” will “not achieve anything”.’

Oh, the irony!

2. Alan Crowe says:

I delivered bread and cakes (Mothers pride) in Keswick 1988/1992, I just used to point and laugh.
    Fuckwit Billy Graham was there one year.

3. Steve says:

The solution – a conveniently timed music festival in the area at the same time.

I knew someone who took his Christian book stall there every year. Local traders never stood a chance.

I think this is the street preacher being referred to:

There is a lot of controversy amongst Christians over Keswick’s “holiness” message, centring around the “Holy Spirit”, and the Brethren, by and large, had nothing to do with it (unless they were selling books, of course!). The preacher is antagonistic, and being barracked in other videos. Nice to see him setting up shop opposite the Oddfellows’ Arms!

Every year the Christian loonies take over the Bath & West show-ground [not that far from the Glastonbury festival site] They have something called “Soul survivor” and “New wine” that run for about five weeks; and what is sad is that this event is packed every year. Fortunately, they tend to stay on site with a few going out into the surrounding towns and villages to spout their bile; if I come across them, I usually barrack them and ask about contradictions in the bible to annoy them.

6. John the Drunkard says:

The ghastly Frank Buchman (Oxford Group/MRA) supposedly launched himself on his ‘career’ after being inspired by a Salvation Army lecturer at….Keswick!

7. H3r3tic says:

The speaker is Dale McAlpine from Answers in Genesis – he achieved brief notoriety in 2010 when he was arrested for for publicly stating that homosexuality is a sin, before the charges were, rightly, dropped. He may be a deluded buffoon but free speech must be maintained.

“Understanding Grace and Justification by faith alone is what frees people to trust in God and leave the slavery of legalism, Carson said.”

I think that is an exhortation not to believe what the words of the bible say. I can see Carson’s problem. Somebody said that a careful reading of the bible is a swift route to atheism. Instead Carson wants “faith alone” which allows him and his ilk to invent whatever suits him.

According to the religious nuisances they are welcomed by the people of Keswick. A typical deceit, I suppose. The people of Keswick see them as a dreary horde of self righteous prigs who ruin trade at the time of the year when Keswick is at its most attractive to people on holiday.

P.S. “Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived. – Isaac Asimov.”

I think Jonathan Swift said something similar.

10. Cali Ron says:

Broga : It worked for me. The more I studied the bible the more glaring the contradictions between it, what they were telling me and reality. Sadly, most christians don’t actually read the bible that much and when they do it’s not with a critical or even questioning eye. No need, the pastor will tell them what to think. Sheeple!

andym: Thanks for the article which led me to this from a professor at Stanford University.

“He’s also, during footage of one of his lectures, compared religion to a shared schizophrenia, argued that the behaviours exhibited by “prophets” in religious texts are diagnosable acts.
    He’s also reasoned that the parables and teachings of these men – such as stories of the construction of the world in seven days, virgin births and burning bushes – are stories constructed by “extremely formative, extremely schizotypals throughout history”.”

Cali Ron: Same with me. I saw the light in my teens. The vicar who taught us “Divinity” was asked by a boy what he thought of Bertrand Russell’s “Why I am not a Christian.”

He said he hadn’t read it as the title told him all he needed to know about the book. He told us not to read it with the inevitable result. We couldn’t get our hands on it quickly enough. We also used to look up the sexy bits in the bible.

13. StephenJP says:

I feel sorry for the people of Keswick, but thankfully this pestilence is highly localised. As a child and teenager I spent most of my summer holidays in the Lake District, some of them in Borrowdale a few miles south of Keswick, and the Convention never impinged on my consciousness at all. The god-botherers are mostly townies who are too fat, unfit or timid to go out on the fells. It would be great if the event were to be shifted to February but it would also be good if the idea of setting up a permanent base in the town was stamped on hard.

14. ray metcalfe says:

I worked in and around the lakes from 1983n t0 2002 I used to clean wondows mostly on large hotels and pubs being one of the few nutters wanting to climb up these large buildings convention time we hated we would get lectured while trying to work once I was perched on a window sill several floors up being told to come to the convention it would change my life. I told her if she didn’t close the window I would change her life by kicking in the glass as I was in danger of falling of. @ Alan Crowe if you ever saw a large ladder up against the moot hall or outside Ge3orge Fischers shop it could have been me

It is sad that the Lake District, a magical area where I used to love walking the fells, should be stained by these dreary people. I remember the first time, in mid winter and through snow sparkling in a thin sun, we got to the top of Scawfell Pike. I’ll settle for that as a “spiritual experience.”

16. StephenJP says:

Sorry to take a second bite at the cherry. The Convention has, sadly, been a Keswick fixture for yonks. But one of its key features was always evangelising the young. Busloads of kids were dispatched to Keswick from all over the north of England (I don’t recall it having much of an impact in the SE). My wife went as a teenager in the mid-60s: all she can remember is having to sing endless happy-clappy songs, and then going back to try to sleep in a leaky tent in the pissing rain.

It is interesting that the locals are starting to feel that they’ve had enough. Maybe there are now just too many evangelical, TT, early-to-bed adult god-botherers around. I have to say I doubt whether the 60s teeny-bopper scene would be regarded as acceptable these days.

17. Stephen Mynett says:

Broga, I have just got back from a wonderful “spiritual experience” on Islay, although the spirits in question were from some of my favourite distilleries. An island that small with eight distilleries, perhaps heaven does exist 🙂

It is a pity these evangelical twerps cannot enjoy the Lake district for what it is, beautiful countryside. It makes me think of the Douglas Adams line: “Isn’t enough the garden is beautiful, do you have to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it.”

18. Cali Ron says:

Broga : As a young teen my friends and I would thumb through the hymnal and add ‘between the sheets ‘to the end of the titles. Amazing Grace Between the Sheets, O for a Thousand Tongues Between the Sheets, Rock of Ages, Cleft for thee Between the Sheets.

I’m curious about the name Broga, because my mom’s maiden name is Brogan . If you don’t want to elaborate I understand.

19. remigius says:

Cali Ron. ‘Broga’ is the Brythonic word for ‘frog’. Brythonic is/was the ancient Celtish language spoken in the British Isles before the arrival of the Anglo-Saxons. It is now mainly spoken in Wales and Cornwall.

I know this because I was researching Georgian brickwork many years ago and needed to find out why the indentation (which Georgian bricks often don’t have!) was called a frog.

Dunno if that has anything to do with ‘our’ Broga, though.

20. Cali Ron says:

remigius; Interesting. The Brogan ‘ s were from Ireland, probably a Celtic name, so I am a descendant of the frog people of Ireland? More research is needed on that one, but I did have a pint in Brogan ‘ s Pub in Dublin with the proprietor, Mr. Brogan and he was not at all frog like. A bit surly, but he didn’t croak.

21. remigius says:

‘…so I am a descendant of the frog people of Ireland?’

Unlikely. The Irish Celtic language – Gaelic – is linguistically distinct from Brythonic Celtic. Although from the same language family they use different words and structure – much like French and Spanish are both from the Romance (Latin) language group but are quite different.

In Gaelic ‘broga’ means shoe. It is the root of the similar word ‘brogue’, meaning a type of shoe. There is also a type of boot called a ‘brogan’ from the same root.

However, it is more likely that the name Brogan comes from the Irish saint St Brogan (gaelic- Brocc’an) who was supposedly the nephew of St Patrick, and the Irish clan name O’Brogain. The name means ‘sorrowful one’, although etymologists are split between the ‘sorrowful’ origin and the ‘shoe’ one. So take your pick.

I personally think the original Brogan was unhappy because he lost his shoe. I certainly would be!

22. Stonyground says:

Keswick has much cooler things than an invasion by God botherers. An invasion by rubber clad gimps for example:

Stephen Mynett: I am familiar with Islay, the Queen of the Hebrides. We went there on holiday for a number of years when the kids were young. We rented a cottage and a local man appeared with a slab of venison as a welcome. Lots of distilleries as you say.

We visited nearby Jura – I have never been to anywhere else that felt so isolated. I had a “spiritual experience” there. A golden eagle appeared over a ridge and floated in a magnificent sweep down the hill. Who needs religion?

Cali Ron: Regarding Broga, I’m happy to explain. I’m Scots although we retired to the West Coast of Wales as we wanted to see our children and grandchildren who live in England and Scotland would have been too far away. (One lot in Brighton which I like.)

As a retirement project we both decided to learn Welsh to keep mentally active and it is often spoken round us and we can use it amongst the locals. I couldn’t decide on a pseudonym . We have a large pond nearby and I often see toads and frogs in it. When it rains the frogs come up round the house. While I was still puzzling about a name I almost stepped on one. I liked the sound of Broga i.e. frog and chose that.

I’m impressed by the erudition in the discussion about
    language.

25. andym says:

I didn’t realise you were in Wales, Broga. That West coast is the main reason I haven’t renewed my passport. Why sit for hours in an airport if you can be at the Welsh coast in the time it takes to get to the airport? I love the area, and not just the coast. The Rheidol Valley and the Cambrians are also wonderful.

andym: agreed.

27. Cali Ron says:

Remigius: I was being a bit facetious. I did read the Wikipedia page on Brogan, but frog people sounded much more interesting than brogue shoes or the sorrowful one. There seems to be some scholarly debate about whether St Brogan was actually the nephew of St Patrick or not, but frankly I don’t give a damn about that religious claptrap.

Wales is on my bucket list. I hear it’s beautiful land and I am always seeking out those more secluded, natural places to hike and explore, and local people to get a true sense of the area. I spent 3 days in the Burren in Ireland hiking and exploring the ruins. Hopped a fence behind Kylemore Abbey and hiked the hills behind it. Visited Poulnabrone Dolmen and spent 3 days in Doolin enjoying the Irish music in it’s 3 pubs. Wanted to go to the Aran islands, but the seas were too rough.

I seem to be strolling down memory lane here, but I won’t replay the whole visit for you. So many places, so little time.

Cali Ron: I was on holiday in Ireland and we liked the people and the hiking. We could have done without statues of the Virgin Mary appearing so often.

I like secluded, lonely places. On those criteria I know no where better than the Scottish Highlands. We were desperate for petrol and asked at a village if there was anywhere that sold petrol. This was on a Wednesday. “Oh aye. You can get petrol. Jimmy opens every Tuesday and Saturday between 2 and 4.”

29. StephenJP says:

Very late in the day, but…

@Cali Ron (7 Aug), your “Between the Sheets” yarn reminds me of the game in “I’m Sorry I Haven’t a Clue”, where the panellists have to try to make Jack Dee corpse by adding the words “in my pants” to book/film/TV titles.

I’m tempted to suggest that they add hymns to the options available, eg:

Abide with me, in my pants
    Come, ye thankful people, come in my pants
    Immortal, invisible in my pants
    Holy, holy, holy in my pants
    Just as I am in my pants

Etc…

30. Paul says:

Sorry to wee on the parade but there is no such thing as Celtic it’s made up word of recent origin. The languages of Briton Welsh Scots Gaelic and Irish and Brittany are not Celtic.

31. Ric. Wallis says:

Money money money is that all you think about ,then if you have enough what then?you get old then a old people home or death,i know that jesu died for me and I will be with him , and chaps there is a hell! But Jesus forgives sinners he even died for you and me.

Someone else who can’t face the realities of life, so lives in a make-believe world.

Ric. Wallis: Wake up. There is no God and no Jesus. If you are going to be with Jesus I assume you think you will be in heaven. How will you communicate without a brain and without a body? How old will you be? A child, an old person, sick, well?

It is sad to see someone so misguided as you appear to be. I assume you are terrified of facing the reality of death.

Broga: To the New Testament writers, heaven was “up in the sky”. Efforts to deny this obvious fact are fatally undermined by such verses as:

“When he (Jesus) had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.” (Acts 1:9 KJV)

How come he didn’t just disappear into the “spiritual realm”?

And when he “returns” :

“We which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air.” (I Thess. 4:17 KJV)

What could be plainer than that?

35. Barry Duke says:

Broga, I have just finished reading E L Doctorow’s brilliant Homer and Langley. I think you’ll appreciate this extract from it. I loved it!

Langley: Every morning began with a prayer breakfast in the community dining room. Every afternoon there were merry sing-alongs led by a banjo band of men in straw boaters and red-and-white-striped jackets. “Down by the Old Mill Stream.” “Heart of My Heart.” “You Are My Sunshine.” The children were kept busy—potato-sack races, classes in raffia weaving and soap carving—and down at the lake the community fire engine had the nozzle of its water cannon aimed at the sky so that we could run under the spray shrieking and laughing.

Every afternoon with the sun beginning to set over the hills a paddle steamer came down the lake with hoots and whistles. In the evenings there were concerts or lectures on worthy subjects. Everyone was happy. Everyone was friendly. You couldn’t walk a few steps without being greeted with big smiles. And I tell you, I had never in my young life been so terrified. Because what could the purpose of such a place be but to persuade people that this was what Heaven would be like?

What other purpose than to give an inkling of the joys of eternal life? I was young enough to think there was such a thing as Heaven … to imagine myself spending eternity with the banjo band in their straw boaters and striped jackets, to think I might someday be stuck there among all these imbecilic happy people praying and singing and being educated in worthy subjects. And to see my own parents embracing this hideously unproblematic existence, this life of continuous and unrelenting happiness so as to indoctrinate me to a life of virtue? Homer, that dismal summer is when I realized our mother and father would inevitably fail all my expectations of them. And I made a vow: I would do whatever it might take to avoid going to Heaven.

Barry: Splendid. I have never met a Christian who seriously considers what an eternity there, as they imagine it, would mean.

When my mother, an atheist, was terminally ill (and suffering) I kept her company with long talks. She could no longer read or watch television and I was trying to deflect her mind from how she felt. She readily talked about her death. One day, searching for a subject and knowing she liked to be stimulated, I asked her, “If you go to heaven what do you think it will be like?”

She started to describe heaven. It was episodes of happiness in her life. She also placed all the relatives and friends she liked there. Then she moved on to the cats she had owned and then to all our dogs who had died. She was looking forward to walking in the woods with the dogs.

So realistic and detailed were her comments I began to wonder if she really believed what she was saying. Then she stopped and said, “Of course, it is all complete nonsense. We return to what we were for the billions of years before we were born.”

However, I think she was imagining the kind of heaven that Christians imagine. They can only relate to the life they knew. We never, even from those who claim to have been there, learn anything we don’t already know. The descriptions are banal and so very obvious.

37. remigius says:

Paul. I honestly don’t know how to respond to your comment – but I’ll give it a go. The 20th Century saw what could be described as a Celtic revival, though this was a political movement rather than an historic scholarly endeavour.

Nationalist groups in countries known to have had a Celtic past began to identify as Celts and press for independence from Britain based on what they believed were their connections with a supposed Celtic people. Irish and Scottish Nationalists were at the forefront of this movement, but smaller groups, like the Sons of Glendower, also joined in. I remember holidays in Wales in the ’70s where English/foreign tourists were attacked and holiday homes burnt down.

The problem is there never were a Celtic people – and no-one had previously claimed there had been. Celtic was seen, first and foremost, as a linguistic distinction, and then a culutral one. It was never seen as an ethnic or political distinction. There was no Celtland, with a Celtic king ruling over a Celtic people. What there was was a diverse population spread over a wide area sharing a common linguistic and cultural identity.

So to counter this political identity created by the nationalists the historians had to explain that there were no Celtic people – only Celtic things, ideas and words. This was misinterpreded (quite possibly deliberately) by the media who sensationalised it to the effect that anything Celtic was a lie. The more impressionable people believed it.

‘…but there is no such thing as Celtic it’s made up word of recent origin.’

Whilst this is ‘technically’ correct it is also very wrong. The adjective ‘Celtic’ is a modern word but the noun ‘Celt’ is a ancient one. The Greeks referred to ‘keltoi’, the Romans (Pliny, Livy and many others) referred to ‘celtae’.

Just because a word is modern doesn’t mean that the thing it describes is also modern. The word ‘megalith’ was first used in 1850. Are we to suppose that sites such as Stonehenge, and Avebury (where barriejohn felt a little queer!) are of recent origin because the word itself is recent?

‘The languages of Briton Welsh Scots Gaelic and Irish and Brittany are not Celtic.’

I think you’re on your own with this one, mate. I have never heard it suggested such. All the books I have on the subject definitely place those languages within the Celtic language family. A search on the internet confirms this. A search to refute this came up blank. Did you really mean to write this?

‘As to so called Celtic art – all the swirly stuff – that originated in what is now Switzerland’.

I think you are refering to the La Tene style…

However, I don’t get the point you are making. Yes, we already know it originated in what is now Switzerland. Are you suggesting it isn’t Celtic (perhaps based on the neologism)? Because it most certainly is. Art is innovative, all innovations have to begin somewhere. This particular style happened to begin there (as far as we know!).

38. Stephen Mynett says:

Thanks Remigius, I was going to respond to Paul’s comments but could not be bothered. The only thing I would add is among the Celtic languages is also the one from Kernow (Cornwall). It is all but dead, there were a couple of speakers of it a few years back but not even sure they are still around

39. remigius says:

Stephen. I too was in two minds about responding. I saw the comment this morning and couldn’t be arsed. However, I did enjoy the conversations with Cali Ron and Broga, and couldn’t let it end on a bum note. Paul’s comment was a bit like a fart at the end of a Bach recital. Someone had to say something.

Cornish Nationalism is still a thing. There is one group, who keep changing their name – I think this week it is ‘The Peoples Front of Cornwall**’, that even have their own (female) suicide bomber…

Though in reality it’s probably just Denzil Penberthy’s missus spouting off after a few zyders.

**(Not to be confused with ‘The Cornish Peoples Front’. Splitters.

And Barry, if you get any unsolicited pasties/scones in the post – don’t eat them.

40. Stephen Mynett says:

Remigius, I find linguistics fascinating and while a lot of etymologies can never be proved many of the theories are interesting, one of my favourites being bigot, coming from the Germanic bei Gott (with god).

There are a great number of words in use today, especially in dialects that probably come from ancient languages, Germanic and the Celtic ones, although we will never know for sure.

The West Country (h)ow bist meaning how are you could be of Germanic origin, although the modern Deutsch bist is only used with du, so would be you are but it is close enough to be of interest.

41. Paul says:

What a bunch of tosh.
    You arrogant twats.
    As to a fart in a Bach recital just fuck off.

42. remigius says:

‘You couldn’t be more wrong – there is no such thing as the Romans referring to Celtic tribes.’

43. Cali Ron says:

You can debate the whole ‘Celtic” thing until the cows home home, but it’s all barking at the moon. I love the Celtic art designs, with their intricate lines and complicated interwoven patterns. Call it whatever you want, Paul, but the world calls it Celtic and the vast majority could care less about arguing over semantics. In fact, I like it so much I’ve decided to declare myself a Celt. Since that word has no meaning you should have no problem with that.

44. remigius says:

‘…and the vast majority could care less about arguing over semantics.’

Oh. My. God. You’ve managed to convey the very opposite meaning to the one you intended – in a sentence about semantics. I think that deserves a prize. 🙂

45. Cali Ron says:

remigius: It’s an idiom. See: http://blog.dictionary.com/could-care-less/

“The usage of “couldn’t care less” versus “could care less” is a very polarizing issue in some circles, as you can see in British comedian David Mitchell’s rant, even though both phrases are in popular usage. Dictionary.com lexicographers aim to record language as it is actually used, without judgment, so you’ll find definitions for both “couldn’t care less” and “could care less” here. That said, not everyone you encounter is a lexicographer, so be aware that those in the camp of David Mitchell will cringe if you use “I could care less” in conversation!”

Clearly, I’m not speaking the “king’s’ English”.