Oz senator’s burqa stunt branded ‘racist’ and ‘stupid’

Oz senator’s burqa stunt branded ‘racist’ and ‘stupid’

Right wing One Nation leader Pauline Hanson, who fears that Australia is becoming too Islamic, entered the Senate yesterday wearing a burqa.

Hanson explained that the point of the stunt, which stunned fellow senators:

Was to say that I do not believe that at any point in time ever in the future that any full face coverings should ever be worn in this place.

According to this report, there were audible groans as she walked into the Senate and one person was heard saying “What on earth?”

Hanson removed the burqa a few minutes later as she attempted to ask the Attorney-General a question on banning the garment altogether.

The Liberal AG Senator Brandis’ passionate response to Hanson earned a standing ovation from Labor and Greens senators. He said:

You are not an adherent of the Islamic faith. I would caution you and counsel you. Be very, very careful of the offence you may give. We have about 500,000 Australians in this country of the Islamic faith. And the vast majority of them are law abiding good Australians.

Brandis added that it was vital to work with the Muslim community to combat the threat of radicalisation.

To ridicule that community, to drive it into a corner, to mock its religious garments is an appalling thing to do and I would ask you to reflect on what you have done.

Hanson took issue with the “religious garment” reference:

The fact is wearing a burqa is not a religious requirement. Non Islamic countries like Switzerland, Norway, Germany, France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Spain, China and Russia have also banned full face coverings. Again, lawmakers believe a ban improves public safety and enables social cohesion.

How can you justify the banning of a helmet or balaclavas but not a burqa when entering a bank?

She has also renewed her push for a temporary ban on Muslim immigration for at least five years.

If we do not draw a line in the sand against immigration from Islamic countries, the influence of Muslims in this country will continue to grow and Australia will continue down the path of Islamisation.

Labor Senator Doug Cameron opposed Hanson’s the motion and condemned her stunt. It was, he said:

A contribution underpinned by racism, a contribution underpinned by religious intolerance and a contribution from my point of view underpinned by just plain stupidity.

Senator Nick Xenophon has applauded the Attorney General’s response to Pauline Hanson’s burqa stunt and says it was offensive and demeaning to people of the Islamic faith.

I know a thing or two about stunts but I wouldn’t even call this a stunt, this was just toxic.

Opposition leader Bill Shorten described it as:

A political circus stunt. I do not believe, no matter what anyone thinks, that pulling those sorts of antics in parliament does anything other than trivialise parliament and democracy.

And NSW Muslim MP Jihad Dib tweeted:

This isn’t a stunt. It’s deeply offensive, calculated and divisive.

Not many agreed with his tweet.

18 responses to “Oz senator’s burqa stunt branded ‘racist’ and ‘stupid’”

There’s an obvious comment to be made here, but even though I’m gay I know that I would be branded “sexist” for making it!

Why was this offensive? The fact that she is right! Look to other countries where creeping isLame has now got control! They are dung heaps of bigotry & hate! There is NO reason for woman tents! It aint in their BS religion. Offend isLame? Great! do it often! And her point is valid…if it was inappropriate for her to wear one of those offensive tents into her job, then when is it appropriate to wear one?

3. Matthew Carr says:

Don’t fool yourself. Gays are fully capable of being sexist.

MC: I do realize that, but a comment on that expression by a male might be considered so. I’ve looked at other photos of her, and it may just be an unfortunate shot chosen by someone to show her in a poor light, but I’m not sure!

5. sailor1031 says:

Surely Pauline Hanson was merely exercising her right to wear what she likes. You know – like all those muslim women do. Anybody who was offended by it is merely demonstrating their own ignorance and bigotry. As for trivialising parliament; what can one possibly respond?

Barriejohn: I see what you mean but she’s a long, long way to go to be a Madeleine Albright (or even a Thatcher).

6. Barry Duke says:

I too am sorry to hear about you mum, BarrieJohn. It’s been a week of distressing news. On Monday we lost gay humanist, author and Doctor Who scriptwriter Victor Pemberton, who I interviewed for this feature.

He collapsed while enjoying a night out in a Benidorm bar, and was heard to shout “bring me another shot” as he was being loaded into an ambulance. He died in his sleep in hospital on August 13.

7. Marcus says:

I’m going to avoid being called a sexist by saying some people look better in burqa, irrespective of their gender. I’d put Nigel Farage in one, for starters.

I can’t see what point she was making if no one had claimed the right to wear full face covering in parliament,and the issue was not being debated, so it looks like a stunt. This whole issue is a minefield, however, as the head covering is NOT “Muslim ” wear, as stated; but is it cultural; is there pressure on women to wear it, or are they making that choice themselves; and is it an infringement of their rights to ban such garb, or is that justified when they (and others wearing head coverings) appear in public?

9. John the Drunkard says:

Too bad the racist aspect probably inspired Hanson. That still doesn’t mean that the Burqa or Niqab are acceptable in any civilized country.

Here in the U.S. some of the most effective opposition to the original Ku Klux Klan came in the form of laws banning wearing masks in public.

10. Steve says:

Senator Nick Xenophon.

Xenophon.

I would just like to distract for a moment to comment that I love that a person with a name like that has gotten into this kind of debate. Awesome.

Steve: I agree. I hope I don’t get into trouble for the following remark, but have you ever seen Lord Adonis? When I think of him I’m always reminded of my father’s naval recollections, where short people (as well as people named Small) were invariably nicknamed “Lofty”, and tall people “Tiny”, but it’s no joke. One of my favourite names has to be “Phil Jupitus” (his stepfather’s surname). I wish I’d had a name like that!

“Thrombo – a slow moving clot”!

12. StephenJP says:

When I was a young Civil Servant in the MOD, I worked at one time near to one Capt Mark Phillips, who really was called “Foggy”( thick and wet) – even to his face.

Regarding the original post,Hanson’s tasteless gesture was clearly a stunt that has badly backfired. I do think, however, that her colleagues might want to consider persuading her to wear the full burka more often…

13. RussellW says:

Muslims will be offended by Sen. Hanson’s demo. Why is the wearing of approved Islamic dress for women so offensive to Muslims?

Steve,

What point are you making?

Don’t forget what a burqua is for – to stop men from losing sexual control….and clearly that was on the brink of happening in the Aussie parliament – such a macho society (unlike the civilised NZ parliament) !

15. Teresa says:

We are all fed up with Muslim propaganda here. I do not find it racist or stupid. Just awesome!!!

16. G Zimmermann says:

Good for her! That particular sight of a person dressed in that garb was nevertheless utterly disgusting and encapsulates all that is wicked and vile in religion.

17. Cali Ron says:

G Zimmermann: “That particular sight of a person dressed in that garb was nevertheless utterly disgusting and encapsulates all that is wicked and vile in religion.” Really? That encapsulates all that is wicked and vile in religion? A piece of clothing? I would think something like 911, the numerous attacks and murders of innocent people, the teachings to kill all non muslims, etc. much better captures that fact. I’d say the burqa symbolizes the stupidity of Islam concerning women’s sexuality and male sexual arousal and the general theme of women being virtual slaves to men.