Jewish woman, ‘poisoned’ by bacon, sues Detroit restaurant
An omelet served to Angela Montgomery was supposed to be vegetarian. But when the 30-year-old Jewish woman from Michigan discovered it contained bacon, all hell broke loose.
“I’ve been poisoned,” she howled, and filed a lawsuit against a branch of Denny’s.
The lawsuit says Montgomery:
Is a practicing Jew whose religion forbids the eating of any pork product.
Montgomery says in the lawsuit that the waitress and manager apologised and said it was a mistake since the bacon container was next to the containers for vegetables in the restaurant’s kitchen.
She also said they offered her a new omelet at no charge but that her appetite had been ruined by the knowledge that she had eaten bacon.
She said of the pig(s) from which the bacon had been derived:
It’s like the most vile, disgusting creature on planet Earth that’s not supposed to go in your body, and I ate it. To me, that’s a poisoning. I was poisoned.
The lawsuit was filed in Wayne County Circuit Court by Dearborn attorney Majed Moughni, who also filed a lawsuit in the same court last month on behalf of a Yemeni-American Muslim couple from Dearborn against a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in Lincoln Park, Michigan, for putting bacon in their chicken sandwiches.
Askar Abubaker, and his wife, Hasinah Saeed, who wears an Islamic face veil, requested cheese as the only extra in their sandwiches. They allege that the KFC employees were looking at them and smiling when they discovered the bacon.
KFC said it was the result of a miscommunication.
At KFC we respect the religious beliefs of our guests of all faiths. We believe this lawsuit was filed as a result of a miscommunication between the guest and our team member.
The lawsuits allege breach of contract and negligent representation, and seek monetary damages for emotional and physical distress from having eaten bacon.
Moughni also filed a $100-m lawsuit in May against Little Caesars Pizza in Dearborn that advertised halal pepperoni pizza, which the attorney said in his lawsuit was not halal and contained pork.
The lawyer was in the news in 2014 because he objected to Muslim kids being given Easter egg flyers.
Seriously, though, bacon can damage your health. An uncle of mine was briefly a guest at the home of a Jewish family. He came home late one night and fried up some bacon as he had the midnight munchies. When his host discovered what he had done, she hit him so hard over the head with the frying pan that he had to be taken to A&E and had ten stitches inserted in his scalp. And the frying pan had to be buried in the garden for 40 days to re-kosher it.
But there would even have been a problem if uncle Charlie had cooked food other than bacon in her kitchen. This from Mi Yodeya:
If a non-Jew cooks something, the food is rendered non-kosher and so is the pot it was cooked in (and spoon it was stirred with, etc).