Jewish woman, ‘poisoned’ by bacon, sues Detroit restaurant

Jewish woman, ‘poisoned’ by bacon, sues Detroit restaurant

An omelet served to Angela Montgomery was supposed to be vegetarian. But when the 30-year-old Jewish woman from Michigan discovered it contained bacon, all hell broke loose.

“I’ve been poisoned,” she howled, and filed a lawsuit against a branch of Denny’s.

The lawsuit says Montgomery:

Is a practicing Jew whose religion forbids the eating of any pork product.

Montgomery says in the lawsuit that the waitress and manager apologised and said it was a mistake since the bacon container was next to the containers for vegetables in the restaurant’s kitchen.

She also said they offered her a new omelet at no charge but that her appetite had been ruined by the knowledge that she had eaten bacon.

She said of the pig(s) from which the bacon had been derived:

It’s like the most vile, disgusting creature on planet Earth that’s not supposed to go in your body, and I ate it. To me, that’s a poisoning. I was poisoned.

The lawsuit was filed in Wayne County Circuit Court by Dearborn attorney Majed Moughni, who also filed a lawsuit in the same court last month on behalf of a Yemeni-American Muslim couple from Dearborn against a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant in Lincoln Park, Michigan, for putting bacon in their chicken sandwiches.

Askar Abubaker, and his wife, Hasinah Saeed, who wears an Islamic face veil, requested cheese as the only extra in their sandwiches. They allege that the KFC employees were looking at them and smiling when they discovered the bacon.

KFC said it was the result of a miscommunication.

At KFC we respect the religious beliefs of our guests of all faiths. We believe this lawsuit was filed as a result of a miscommunication between the guest and our team member.

The lawsuits allege breach of contract and negligent representation, and seek monetary damages for emotional and physical distress from having eaten bacon.

Moughni also filed a $100-m lawsuit in May against Little Caesars Pizza in Dearborn that advertised halal pepperoni pizza, which the attorney said in his lawsuit was not halal and contained pork.

The lawyer was in the news in 2014 because he objected to Muslim kids being given Easter egg flyers.

Seriously, though, bacon can damage your health. An uncle of mine was briefly a guest at the home of a Jewish family. He came home late one night and fried up some bacon as he had the midnight munchies. When his host discovered what he had done, she hit him so hard over the head with the frying pan that he had to be taken to A&E and had ten stitches inserted in his scalp. And the frying pan had to be buried in the garden for 40 days to re-kosher it.

But there would even have been a problem if uncle Charlie had cooked food other than bacon in her kitchen. This from Mi Yodeya:

If a non-Jew cooks something, the food is rendered non-kosher and so is the pot it was cooked in (and spoon it was stirred with, etc).

20 responses to “Jewish woman, ‘poisoned’ by bacon, sues Detroit restaurant”

That article had me laughing all the way through. I think customers will have to declare their religion and restaurants will have to employ food tasters where some religions are concerned.

I wonder what Trump’s view is? I see a book in the USA, selling well, is called “Trump is f@cking crazy: this is not a joke.” Expletive amended in the original.

She was poisoned??? When is she going to shut up & die!

These religious nutters could always eat at establishments run by members of their their religion thus avoiding “contamination”. And the fact most food is prepared and cooked by non Jews/Muslims, aren’t they offending their god by eating there.
    “It’s like the most vile, disgusting creature on planet Earth…” That describes religious extremists quite well.

4. T says:

Q. What is worse than a fundamentalist faithead.

A. A fundamentalist faithead with a gold digging lawyer encouraging huge claims for damages for trivial issues.

5. Stephen Mynett says:

Carrying on from Angela’s post, pigs are very clean animals and can be domesticated to a point, something that cannot be said of a lot of religionists.

“I know an old lady who swallowed some pork; on the end of her fork she swallowed some pork. Perhaps she’ll die.”

Angela Montgomery = Mongrel meat agony

7. Michael says:

‘Is a practicing Jew whose religion forbids the eating of any pork product’…..If she was a ‘practicing Jew’ she wouldn’t be eating in a non Kosher Restaurant . She’s a hypocrite

8. Robster says:

Probably not so good for a jew or muslim, perhaps the restaurants could simply serve Fresh baked flesh of Jesus (or the various other edible deity ritual bits of the other belief systems, chilled blood and the other required accoutrements in a “special” (read padded cell) section of their eateries?

9. Laura Roberts says:

There are plenty of good reasons to stay away from pork, especially in the U.S., where regulatory agencies have been hobbled now for decades, but obviously religion ain’t one of them.

10. David Anderson says:

Serves her right for eating at Denny’s.

Robster: Talking about Baked Flesh of Jesus, Jeremy Corbyn is in trouble for “disrespecting the Catholic faith” by accepting “communion” at a recent funeral. And him a vegetarian now as well – tut!tut!

12. sailor1031 says:

She’s not the first to sue Denny’s for having been “poisoned”, though it’s rarely on account of bacon apparently. Being sued is a hazard of the cheap restaurant industry, of which Denny’s is a prime example. It’s not a place you go if you are particular about food.

I’m vegetarian and have occasionally been served a “vegetarian” omelette containing bacon. It’s easy to spot it and send the dish back. But this woman apparently ate the whole thing and then found out there was bacon in it? Sounds to me like Denny’s was set up.

13. sailor1031 says:

I’m vegetarian and have occasionally been served a “vegetarian” omelette containing bacon. It’s easy to spot it and send the dish back. But this woman apparently ate the whole thing and then found out there was bacon in it? Sounds to me like she decided to try to take major advantage of an small honest mistake. One wishes Denny’s would go to trial on this one but, of course, they’ll settle (though for a lot less than the woman is now demanding). It’s an old, old scam here in the USA.

14. cnocspeireag says:

I scanned through the article and read ‘It’s like the most vile, disgusting creature on planet Earth that’s not supposed to go in your body’. I looked at the photograph and thought ‘that’s rather harsh but probably fair’. I read on and realised that she was talking about a pig! That was uncalled for, most pigs I’ve raised have been good company.

The only reason pigs are vile & disgusting is because of the VILE & DISGUSTING farmers that keep them in small pens that make them roll around in their own shit! Wild or large area pigs are no more disgusting than any other animal!

sailor1031: I am also a vegetarian. I decided that was the best diet after reading “How not to die” by Michael Greger. He is not claiming we can be immortal but can live much healthier lives.

17. sailor1031 says:

Broga: atheist vegetarians are a double threat and will be especially severely dealt with comes the theorevolution. I have several times been accused of being a “communist” (actually not too far from the truth) on account of being a vegetarian. I just grit my teeth metaphorically and feel very superior while thinking of my smaller carbon footprint.

sailor1031: Yes it’s a double whammy. I have had, “I suppose that’s another of your weird ideas.” The other weird “idea” being atheism. The comment came from someone weighing well north of 16 stone and told by his GP that he was probably pre diabetic. I weigh less than 11 stone and pointed this out. He explained that he was “big boned.”

19. andym says:

@ Broga. I had something similar a few years ago from someone taking statins and anti-hypertensives, and with a pacemaker….

andym : My GP recommended statins for me, only on the basis that I was eligible because of my age. I took them thinking that I would feel foolish if I didn’t and had a heart attack or stroke. He told me the government recommended them.

I was soon reduced from a very active man (long walks with my dog, chopped my own logs etc) to my muscles being so painful that I couldn’t walk and for the first time in my life I became very depressed. I should have guessed they were trouble as I was told when I started them that I should have my liver, up till then fine, regularly checked i.e. they were checking for health problems I had never had before starting taking them.

By chance I read an article in the Sunday Times about many similar experiences from people. I then read up on statins and stopped them against medical advice which was that stopping them was more dangerous than never taking them. I was back to normal within a month.

Statins are a wonderful money earner for Big Pharma which promotes them by using “research” funded by them and burying any anti statin findings.

The Daily Mail on line regularly writes pro statins articles and its readers respond with strong anti-statin comments based on experience.