Orthodox Israeli MP resigns amidst gay wedding uproar

Orthodox Israeli MP resigns amidst gay wedding uproar

After a bunch of furious rabbis slammed him for attending a relative’s gay wedding, haredi Knesset MP Yigal Guetta, above, a Sephardic Orthodox Shas party member, resigned yesterday.

Last week, according to this report, Guetta told Israel’s Army Radio that he had gone to the same-sex wedding of his sister’s son. His revelation caused a storm in the haredi world, with many senior rabbis calling on him to resign.

Guetta said that after he was invited to his nephew’s wedding:

I told my wife and children that we are all going … I usually don’t tell my children to come with me, but I told them that for this one, we are going. We all went, and we made them happy.

Rabbi Moshe Tzedaka, dean of the Porat Yosef Yeshiva, a top institution in the Sephardi haredi world, held an emergency meeting with prominent rabbis, and called for Geutta to resign.

We need to go to Shas leader Aryeh Deri and expel Guetta from the party. It is crazy what he is doing there. Many haredim have called me to complain. It is a desecration of God’s name.

Former Shas MK Shlomo Benizri, who heads the prominent haredi newspaper Yom L’yom, also blasted Guetta.

Yesterday I heard a recording by a senior MK from Shas who told us that he took his family to an abomination wedding of a family member. I was shocked that a Jew who calls himself haredi would do that. Not only did he go, he told everyone about it. His actions are a disgrace.

Geutta defended himself, saying that he went in order to bring people closer to Judaism.

In this report, Geutta said he told his family that:

I want you to know that according to the Torah this [wedding] is forbidden and an abomination.

The wedding took place two years ago.

Guetta refused to apologise for his attendance and for insisting that family accompany him to the ceremony, but he resigned from the Knesset before he was asked to.

A letter from Shas party head and Interior Minister Aryeh Deri’s office said:

Minister Deri told member of Knesset Guetta that he respects his decision, expressed his appreciation for him and thanked him for his valuable work and for the new and energetic spirit he introduced to Shas.

Update: The bigots are now in the line of fire. According to this report, centrist and left-wing lawmakers have condemn Shas over Guetta’s resignation.

Yesh Atid party chairman Yair Lapid took to Twitter to denounce Guetta’s treatment by his own party.

Guetta is an excellent MK and a friend. It’s sad that in Israel in 2017, a Knesset member is forced to resign because he attended a wedding of two people who love each other.

Yael German, a former minister from Lapid’s party, called the incident:

Regrettable and shameful. Again we see that Knesset members do not make decisions based to their consciences, but rather based on political pressure.

The chairwoman of the Meretz party also criticised the ultra-Orthodox party and called for the reinstatement of the ousted lawmaker. Zehava Galon posted on Twitter:

MK Guetta made a simple human gesture and went to support his nephew at his wedding. The pressure to dismiss him is a disgrace to Shas, and I hope they come to their senses and give him his job back.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

16 responses to “Orthodox Israeli MP resigns amidst gay wedding uproar”

1. gedediah says:

It’s dogma over basic human decency every time. He went to make his nephew happy. Good for him.

2. Yarty says:

And jews want us to like them and have positive views about them. Well they had better start being more likeable then.

3. Michael Glass says:

The furious reaction to the display of naked bigotry against this man for attending his nephew’s wedding should help to make such displays less likely to happen in future.

If he really felt it was OK to go to the wedding, then he should have stood his ground and told the council to piss off!!! This type of crap will continue until the targets tell the bigots to stuff it!

5. Vanity Unfair says:

Alternatively, he could have resigned from the Shas party or from the Haredim. Ultimately the choice was his. He, as a member of an ultra-orthodox sect, is willing to work alongside women in government without being urged to resign. Perhaps Israel is being dragged slowly into the 58th. century.

What are the bigots so afraid of? Or do they just want to demonstrate their power over the way people think and behave.

So making two people happy is a ‘desecration of god’s name’. OK…is this god of theirs so weak he can not accommodate two people being happy? Ahhh… no, it’s the sex thing again – this god doesn’t like genitals that are the same touching each other…because when they touch each other then….errr…I can’t find anything in the torah or the rest of the bibble that says what happens. Maybe it’s got something to do with gunpowder, or god having convulsions, or….well, there you go, their holy books are a complete blank about genitals that are the same. Pity I was looking forward to something really enlightening. (I do know that male angels were supposed to have breasts – I think they wore a ‘D’-cup)

8. Bob says:

@To all who remeber my friend Seff
    As far as I know he prays a lot for your conversion. Here there are a few lines about the most spectacular conversion of Théodore Ratisbonne chief Rabbi of Rome. Is it possible that he offered his life to God for the conversion of the young Jewish banker? Yes, it is. Seff says his prayers will bring some gay to Jesus as well.
    “I had only been in the church a short while when, all of a sudden, I felt totally uneasy for no apparent reason. I raised my eyes and saw that the whole building had disappeared. Only one side chapel had, so to say, gathered all the light. In the midst of this splendor, the Virgin Mary appeared standing on the altar. She was grandiose, brilliant, full of majesty and sweetness, just as she is in the Miraculous Medal. An irresistible force attracted me to her. The Virgin made a gesture with her hand indicating I was to kneel.”
    Alphonse took the name Maria Alphonse at baptism, and, wishing to become a priest, was ordained a Jesuit in 1847. After some time, and at the suggestion of Pope Pius IX, he left the Jesuits and joined his brother Thèodore in founding the Congregation of Our Lady of Sion, dedicated to the conversion of the Jews. What do you think of it?

9. Daz says:

Clean up in isle three please. There’s been a large tedious-non-sequitur spillage.

Hahaha – “Unexpected item in the bagging area”.

(I have no intention of reading it!)

“What do you think of it?” This meets the criteria for being sectioned. Action needs to be taken soon. I only read a few sentences which were enough to reveal the delusions.

Theodore must have been smoking some powerful weed for one side of the church to disappear!
    @Bob: Do you really, really believe in this childish, cotton-wool nonsense?

@1859: It’s Seff, wittering on about his ridiculous Catholic mysticism again (see Gays Are Like Drunks thread), though Bob does seem to have posted comments elsewhere recently (I think!). I’m reminded once again of the inimitable Soap: “Confused? You will be”!

14. John says:

Why resign?
    He could have switched allegiance to one of the other more liberal parties for the remainder of his elected term.