Is the new Christ Coin a fresh way of fleecing the faithful?

Is the new Christ Coin a fresh way of fleecing the faithful?

I know bugger all about cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin, but I can’t help feeling that when Christians latch onto some newfangled method to raid wallets in order to Spread the Word, someone, somewhere is gonna get be stung. Badly!

Here is how the newly-launched Christ Coin is being flogged to the faithful:

Christ Coin is the first pre-mined Christian-based Cryptocurrency. It is used to financially reward people who read the Bible, post/view content and interact with the community on the Life Change Platform. The rewards may then be used to supplement personal income, invested for potential future gains, tithed to churches, or used to support global missions and humanitarian efforts.

We welcome everyone regardless of religious beliefs to interact and earn Christ Coins on the Life Change Platform. We intend to become the decentralized global hub for people wanting to impact the world in a positive and Christ-like manner

It’s further reported here that:

Christ Coin has a mission to meet the spiritual and practical needs of anyone, and unite Christians together as one community for the purpose of reviving hope, repairing lives, and rebuilding dreams. Built by a team of Christian entrepreneurs, Christ Coin is groundbreaking in its ability to build a global Christian community via cryptocurrency.

I’m clearly not the only one to think that the newly-launched Christ Coin smells – dare I say it – to high heaven.

Hop over to Jesus Coin for a brilliant take-down of the concept:

Using the cryptographic breakthrough of the blockchain ledger and anonymous cryptocurrencies, Jesus Coin has been developed as the currency of God’s Son. Unlike morally bereft cryptocurrencies, Jesus Coin has the unique advantage of providing global access to Jesus that’s safer and faster than ever before.

• Sin Forgiving – Jesus Coin is negotiating with churches to outsource sin forgiveness.
• Transaction Speeds – Record transaction times between you and God’s son.
• Predicted to Achieve $50bn Market Cap – Predicted by Peter (not the disciple).

‘And there would be a cryptocurrency, and it would be wondrous, and the Lord would say unto thee followers buy thee Jesus Coin, at the highest possible bonus structure’.

Jesus Coin adds:

Jesus Coin is guaranteed to save all of its owners from hell (except Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Bahai, Buddhists and Sikhs).

The site even provides an hysterical video to explain the concept:

For a non-satirical but somewhat sceptical view of the Christ Coin, see this Christianity Today report, which says:

Some may baulk at the prospect of Christ Coin. In the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation, these financial ‘rewards’ sound a little like digital ‘indulgences’, the medieval Catholic innovation – essentially promising heavenly blessings in exchange for earthly cash – that Martin Luther railed against.

The Christ Coin is in some ways the opposite (providing cash for godly deeds), but it does still sound a little like buying your way through the Kingdom of God. Isn’t the point of Christlike living that its costly, and isn’t done in hope of earthly reward? Getting paid to read the Bible certainly adds an incentive, but it also messes with one’s motives.

Another criticism might be that this smacks of a Christian subculture on Christian steroids. The modern Church has successfully innovated its own world of music, books, film, clothing and of course celebrity; Christian currency is next. Isn’t this only going to exacerbate a ‘bunker mentality’ where believers fear the world around them, while ‘the world’ increasingly struggles to make sense of the ever-distant faithful?

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

19 responses to “Is the new Christ Coin a fresh way of fleecing the faithful?”

Just when you thought that things couldn’t get more ridiculous…

2. Dianne Leonard says:

Yes! Just what I thought–this sounds like the catholic sale of indulgences to keep people out of hell! (In case you weren’t a catholic in the 50s and 60s, at that time you could buy yourself out of hell by buying “holy cards”. I remember very clearly being given money by my mom to buy such cards. It was a hard sale–the nuns and priests shamed kids who couldn’t buy them. By the time I was 9, I had realized that I was being lied to, and kept the money. Never told my mom.)

3. Robster says:

A digital deity? jees, hope not.

What about Christ throwing his Christ-coins out of the internet temple? And wasn’t there something about a rich man,a camel, the eye of a needle and heaven?
    If, as I suspect, you must purchase these Christ coins with real-world cash, then there is no doub it’s a money-making scam.

5. Tee says:

Always, when a poor man has clenched in his fist a few hard earned pennies, priestly claws wrench his fingers apart to steal them. It was ever thus. Remember when that ever so nice and humble Welby invested in Wonga?

6. Tee says:

Remember the Chancel Tax … the CoE will not repeal the law that Henry8 established to make citizens pay for churches. It’s still being used today.

CoE Primary Schools all over the land preach to kids on your taxes.

No, this is no surprise. The pious are in the business of taking money from those who earn it.

@1859: Someone very wise once said, “Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?”. I wish I could remember who it was.

Dianne Leonard: I did teaching practice in a couple of Catholic schools in Lancashire (where the RC Church was very strong at the time), and it was a revelation. One morning a week the priests descended upon the school, and all Catholics were forced to attend a very long mass in the school hall. On one occasion, the headmaster brought the school together again after the mafia had left, and announced that as the “offering” had been insufficient he would be passing the bucket round the next day and forwarding receipts to the Church, and nothing like it was to happen again. I swear that this really happened, and I was shocked at the time. It was a very poor community, though the people were warm and generous, and I couldn’t believe that anyone who claimed to be a Christian could possibly want to screw them like that. Maybe I was a bit naive, and didn’t realize that, like you, many of the kids were putting their money to better use, but the incident was a revelation to me. The school was supposed to be there for the purpose of educating the kids, not extorting money for the RC Church!

@barriejohn: Margaret Thatcher the milk snatcher ?

@1859: Don’t get me started on that woman! I was teaching then, and remember it well. That was very nearly the end of her political career, but Ted Heath stood by her and she managed to survive the onslaught. No wonder he was bitter when she stabbed him in the back!

Another scam. But there are so many.

That ‘Dragon’s Den’ video is just insane.‘I can’t argue with Jesus, I’m in!’ And that’s it? That’s their pitch? If a cartoon version of Jesus says it’s okay then it must be okay. FFS, they really haven’t underestimated how dumb their target audience is.

And as for ‘built by a team of Christian entrepreneurs’, same old thieving charlatans more like.

” Sin Forgiving – Jesus Coin is negotiating with churches to outsource sin forgiveness.”

What does this mean? Can an atheist like me get in on the scam? Perhaps put the word around that I am an official “sin forgiveness” operator and no sin is too small or too large – for a price, of course.

AC/ Broga: “Jesus Coin ” is a spoof. Christ Coin is the “real scam thing”. Do try to keep up!

14. andym says:

The religious will always be prime targets for the con artist. They’ve already shown their gullibility and willingness to believe things without investigation.

Doesn’t even their book say something about a fool and his money?

@barriejohn
    Ah. Missed that. Must read more carefully from now on.

16. Brian Jordan says:

Fleecing the faithful? Would that make it a kleptocurrency, then?

barriejohn: Must try to do better. Ever since I saw Burt Lancaster in Elmer Gantry I have fancied being a hell fire preacher. However, I don’t want to move to the bible belt.

Broga: The wonderful character of Elmer Gantry was said to have been based upon Billy Sunday (Sonntag), who claimed to have spoken to more people than anyone else in history. Do any of his arguments sound familiar?

No need to move to the Bible Belt – he was displaced by radio preachers, and now you can use television. Hallelujah!

19. CoastalMaineBird says:

“the decentralized global hub”
    Does anyone else think that’s a preposterous concept?

“groundbreaking in its ability to build a global Christian community via cryptocurrency.”
    Ground that’s not really worth breaking, isn’t it?