Warning: godlessness and ruin faces NZ under its new PM

Warning: godlessness and ruin faces NZ under its new PM

No mention was made of God, and there wasn’t a Bible in sight when Jacinda Ardern, a former Mormon, this week became New Zealand’s 40th Prime Minister.

Her strictly secular inauguration will no doubt add to the concerns of people like Christopher Eames, who writes for a “prophetic” news magazine called the Trumpet, which:

Seeks to show how current events are fulfilling the biblically prophesied description of the prevailing state of affairs just before the Second Coming of Jesus Christ. The Trumpet has a long history of accurate forecasting of major global events based on this predictive model, tracing back to the beginnings of the Plain Truth magazine in 1934 under the direction of Herbert W Armstrong.

Herbert W Armstrong, founder of the Worldwide Church of God, regarded by many as a cult.

On October 20, writing for the Trumpetpublished by the Philadelphia Church of God – Eames said:

Ardern has been very much a liberal in support of several social issues. She is a staunch supporter of homosexual rights in New Zealand, contrary to her Mormon upbringing (she is currently agnostic). She has taken part in Gay Pride parades, last year featuring her own float for the parade.

Excellent!

After New Zealand bishop Brian Tamaki blamed New Zealand’s recent disastrous earthquakes on homosexuality, Ardern called him out with an open letter, criticising his closed-mindedness and making a sarcastic stab at members not paying enough tithes.

Excellent!

Ardern also has liberal views on abortion, which featured in her run for office. Abortion is still a crime in New Zealand, except for circumstances such as danger to the mother’s physical or mental health. As such, New Zealanders desiring an abortion simply travel to Australia to undergo the procedure.

Ardern campaigned to reverse the criminality laws on abortion in the hope of making it convenient for women to abort while still at home in New Zealand.

Excellent!

We’ll have to see how New Zealand’s laws will be modified to this effect. It’s inevitable that abortion will become legal in New Zealand (and thus become more widespread). The only real debate on this will be the parameters.

Elsewhere in his lengthy piece, Eames revealed that Arden has no love for Donald Trump or the British monarchy, of which New Zealand is a part. He wrote:

Our nations have become increasingly godless and irreverent. Society has never before seen such a widespread change in such a short period of time. Homosexuality is now to be admired. Abortion is equivalent to getting a tooth pulled. Gender is fluid. And over those same years, New Zealand – along with the US and its Commonwealth ‘friends’ – have suffered a major increase in catastrophic disasters, ballooning debt and weakening influence …

New Zealand has become a mere shadow of what it once was. It has become an irreligious, immoral, anti-monarchy, debt-laden, defenceless socialist state, desperately borrowing money in order to stay alive. As a New Zealander, it hurts to say it. But those are just the facts.

It may be the ‘in thing’ these days to be flippant toward religion. But I do believe in God, and I believe that while New Zealand in the past held to some semblance of biblical morality, the nation enjoyed blessings and prosperity, underneath the pomp and regality of a monarchy that likewise held respect toward a higher power. These were the years of strength, prosperity, education and opportunity for the Empire and her populations.

Also …

Oh, to hell with it! If you want to read all of this loopy doomsayer’s bilge, follow this link.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn

33 responses to “Warning: godlessness and ruin faces NZ under its new PM”

Then sheep, sheep, sheep must have been reading the bible because NZ owes its past and present affluence to these wonderful, benign four-legged creatures. Strange, I too live in NZ and the NZ Mr.Eames describes bears absolutely no resemblance to what is outside my bedroom window. Which just goes to prove how much religious clap-trap can twist one’s grip on reality. Ardern belongs to the future and is forward-looking with an open mind and heart. Eames is backward-looking with a closed, hermetically sealed mind, sealed moreover by an outdated, ossified religious worldview. The sooner his generation and ilk die off the better. And with people like him out of the way NZ will be an even more tolerant society.

2. Stephen Mynett says:

1859, I think people like Eames wish for disasters and enjoy them as, in their screwed up minds, it shows they are right. The thought of people enjoying life and getting on with each other is too hard for them to bear because it means happiness is possible without a mythical deity.

As for your comment about outside your bedroom window, I am sure Eames is no different to other religionists and will be much more interested in what goes on inside your bedroom window.

3. Laura Roberts says:

As the original post suggests, it sounds to me as if NZ is headed for godlessness and excellence.

I’ll pass on reading any more. As reason and tolerance spread the religionists see their influence, based on lies, shrink. And they are worried.

Hands up all those who remember Radio Luxembourg? (What – only two of you?) We young “rebels” used to surreptitiously tune in to its seditious output in our bedrooms from 7:00pm every night on our plastic radios (mine gave off an awful smell as it heated up, and I’m sure I’m lucky to be here today to tell the tale), including Billy Graham’s The Hour of Decision, and Horace Batchelor of Keynsham, promoting his infamous pools plans (the price we paid for access to free “pop” music). Well, one of the regular broadcasters was Herbert W. Armstrong, with what he then called The Radio Church of God. Does anyone else recall it? To the horror of the Brethren, I became interested in his teachings, and signed up to receive his free glossy magazine, The Plain Truth, and other publications (his organization was obviously awash with money, as are so many). My argument was that he was “scriptural”, to which the entirely unconvincing reply was : “He may be scriptural, but he’s wrong!” (no explanation proferred). Armstrong, like many others (Russell, Smith, Mary Baker Eddy, etc), was convinced that God had allowed the Church to amble on along the path of “error” for nigh on two thousand years before raising up himself to put everyone right. His literalist interpretation of the Bible has many similarities to Seventh Day Adventism, and merely highlights once again the impossibility of marrying Old Testament theology with that of the New. Basically, Armstrong takes the OT literally and fits NT teaching in with it, whereas most evangelical Christians follow Paul’s NT teaching and try to explain away the OT. That’s it in a nutshell, but I was too young and inexperienced to understand it at the time. The Worldwide Church of God still continues, but, despite all those glossy illustrated pamphlets warning us that floods, volcanoes and hurricanes presaged the IMMINENT return of Jesus “Christ” to this earth, so do we! You can read more about the nutcase here (sighs):

barriejohn: I remember most of those in my youth, especially Radio Luxembourg. But I was already a confirmed atheist and only looked at the likes of Herbert W. Armstrong to size up the opposition.

Then, around 1956, a colleague gave me a copy of the Freethinker and that was game on big time. I realised there were others who thought like me and it nourished my atheism.

7. Stephen Mynett says:

Was it 208 medium wave Barriejohn, I can certainly remember Horace Batchelor’s pools and the religious stuff, although one advert I remember is for the show sponsored by Peter Stuyvesant, it involved some very exaggerated noisies by a young Peter Powell supposedly drawing on the Stuyvesant cigarette and then exclaiming sheer relaxation with even stranger sounds.

I also remember the day Radio Caroline sank and the DJ saying he would have to finish soon as the studio was starting to fill with water.

Re the pools, people are still as gullible as there are books on how to win the lottery, some even sell.

‘The Trumpet has a long history of accurate forecasting of major global events based on this predictive model…’

Really? I would love to see the evidence to support that claim.

Stephen Mynett: It was!

As far as I remember, Horace Batchelor merely used a “plan” to cover all or most of the coupon, promising to line up draws in the most favourable way in the hope of achieving a line of six, seven or eight, rather than using the prohibitively expensive “any eight from” full-cover permutation, which pools companies obviously promoted. Newspapers eventually provided similar plans free of charge if you sent them a large SAE, but the National Lottery has killed interest in that form of betting. How there could possibly be a “method” of winning a purely random draw like the Lottery, I have no idea!

Broga: If only some kind person had introduced me to The Freethinker, rather than asking whether my sister and I would like to attend their Sunday School!

AgentCormac: I bet they can supply that for you! I can confidently predict where the world’s earthquakes will occur next year, and that includes one in Central England. In fact, Old Barrie John’s Almanack for 2018 is already in the shops at a very reasonable price, and predicts, amongst other things: Severe hurricanes in the Caribbean, a large aeroplane coming down with great loss of life, a train derailment, disastrous flooding, a head of state or their spouse dying (if that turns out to be Prince Philip I’m in clover!), an appalling famine…need I go on? (Available from W.H.Smith and other disreputable bookshops, while stocks last.)

12. Stephen Mynett says:

Barriejohn, it is unfortunate but many people are mesmerised by numbers with a poor or non-existent ability in maths and so probability means nothing to them.

A well educated, in history mainly, friend was always going on how he just missed out on the lottery as he had picked 42 as his last number but the final ball was 43 or something like that. He could not see that a miss was a miss and the actual number was irrelevant but genuinely believed one a one digit difference was closer than any other.

I eventually tried this on him and it worked. I asked that if instead of numbers the lottery picks were symbols of well known objects, would he think he had only just missed if he had picked a saucepan but the symbol drawn was a wooden spoon, after all you find them both in a kitchen so they re quite close together. After that he got the fact he was dealing with a choice of different objects, the fact they were numbers was not relevant.

I did not venture into trying to teach him probability as it is about 40 years since my A levels and a lot has been forgotten, I must dig up my old notes from that period, especially as I will give Stephen hawking’s thesis a go.

Stephen Mynett: It infuriates me as well, but then the lottery organizers have to keep people thinking “I NEARLY won”. I always say to them: “Suppose the balls were just different colours? Would a purple ball be closer to the blue ball than to the yellow ball?”. (It doesn’t always work!)

14. Stephen Mynett says:

Barriejohn, a fond memory of coloured balls. I expect you remember Pot Black and the famous line, for those of you watching in black and white the blue ball is behind the green, or something like that.

Ted Lowe, I believe.

Scratchcards are just as bad. It doesn’t matter how many similar symbols you reveal, it’s not a random draw, so the card might just as well say “Win” or “Lose” for all that it matters. The same is true of all the newspaper “lucky numbers”. The Mail swore that it would never stoop to Bingo, but was forced to introduce a daily “draw”. One day they printed a “wrong number” and thousands of readers phoned in claiming the prize! Even that didn’t give the game away, sad to say.

16. Stonyground says:

Kenny Everette was fired from pirate station Radio London for taking the piss out of a radio evangelist. His show would be interrupted everyday by a long religious rant by a nutcase called Garner Ted Armstrong. Everette was rather resentful of this intrusion so he used to listen to the recording before it went out and brief his audience on what utter tripe they were in for that day, and rip it apart without mercy. He came unstuck when Armstrong visited the UK and heard what was going on. He threatened to stop advertising with them unless Everette was sacked.

@barriejohn
    You forgot the tornadoes in Central America and wildfires in southern Europe.

barriejohn: I was lucky in getting the Freethinker. Every time someone had a birthday that was an excuse for a major piss up. On one of these a colleague clearly shared my atheistic opinions. Next day I found the Freethinker on my desk and discovered the delights of reading David Tribe. He said, in tough, lively and uncompromising language, backed by reason, what I was thinking.

19. tonye says:

Sorry to be off topic.

I’ve just been flicking through the tv channels and caught a small segment from a programme called ‘sunday morning live’ on Halloween.

Cue the Christian bemoaning the fact that kids enjoy Halloween for it’s scary aspects. So her club has decided to make the holiday more Christian friendly.
    Next you saw a woman carving a cross into a pumpkin, instead of the usual scary face. (Hey kids cool or what!)

Instead of burying their heads into the bible, would it not be better reading something worthwhile like, say, a history book that would point out that Halloween is a pagan festival stolen by their church? Clueless.

A Prime Minister dumps the god nonsense and the world is going to end, strange logic these religious types have. They cannot tolerate people who eventually see through the fog of religion to find the reality beyond; is it contagion that concerns them, others might follow Ms Arden?
    Radio Luxembourg, Nordsee International and Caroline, those were the days; I used to listen to them on a crystal set with an ear-piece so I could listen in bed without my parents knowing. Finding out about my love of radio, an uncle gave me an old war-time communication receiver, it opened my mind to other countries, cultures and religions other than the Christian one that was the “only true religion” according to my primary school teachers.

Stonyground: Garner Ted Armstrong was Herbert W. Armstrong’s son, but they fell out, so he was not his eventual successor. There were sexual shenanigans – can you believe that?

barriejohn: I remember inviting Herbert W Armstrong to send me his stuff. I was amazed that these magazines kept flowing through the letter box for free. I remember my brother, as we were both still at home, saying, “You must be paying for this crap. They can’t afford to send this to everyone for free.”

Broga: Americans will gleefully pour their money into anything religious. It’s amazing!

24. Stephen Mynett says:

Broga, Barriejohn, I remember when we were trying to raise funds for a haemophilia centre we seriously thought about ways of trying to make it some sort of religious thing just to try to get extra money but in the end, unlike many religionists, we decided not to be that dishonest.

Organisations like the Gideons really bug me, they will waste millions with their bibles and flood hospitals, schools etc with them but there is little chance of getting them to donate towards a new scanner or anything useful like that.

I was given a Gideon bible at school and one of the thug Christians who taught there asked me if I had read it and what did I think, my reply was that the font style and size was different to some others but that was all.

News just in from “SatanWatchNZ”: This morning there was a 10 car tailback on the motorway – a clear sign of Satanic traffic congestion! Will keep you god-fearing folk posted!

1859 : That seems to clinch it. Apparent to me that Satan is at work.

27. CoastalMaineBird says:

Hmmm. Always heard of Garner Ted Armstrong – didn’t know about the father.

At age 80 he married a 38 year old.
    During pre-trial proceedings in the divorce case, Armstrong’s lawyers had sought to limit evidence of “prior incestuous conduct with his daughter for many years,”
    Boinking his own daughter. Didn’t Noah dabble in that?

CoastalMaineBird:

Large photo in Barry’s article (above). Longwinded comment by myself (above). How can you not have heard of him?

29. CoastalMaineBird says:

I don’t know – I remember the name “Garner Ted Armstrong” and “the World Tomorrow” from when I was a kid. Quickly followed by changing the station. I didn’t pay attention to the details.

CMB: I see what you mean. Garner Ted began fronting the programmes (The World Tomorrow) in the late 1950s. His biography makes fascinating reading!

31. StephenJP says:

“Herbert W Armstrong…regarded by many as a cult”. Surely a typo?

32. Vanity Unfair says:

To barriejohn:
    The Radio Luxembourg “Find your generation” quiz.
    (1) Can you sing the Ovalteenies song all the way through?
    (2) How do you spell Keynsham?
    (3) Are there any pop songs longer than two an a half minutes?
    I stopped listening after that.
    I remember wondering why, if the Infra-Draw Method really worked, Horace Bachelor had to sell it rather than use it?