Ohio ‘family values’ politician resigns over gay sex episode

Ohio ‘family values’ politician resigns over gay sex episode

Republican state representative Wes Goodman, above, who has consistently stood for faith, family and his opposition to gay rights, resigned this week after he was spotted having sex in his office  – with a man.

According to Newsweek, Goodman, who is married, was reportedly seen by someone who is not a staffer having sex with a man inside his Riffe Center office. The witness told Ohio House Chief of Staff Mike Dittoe of the situation early on Tuesday afternoon.

Dittoe told House Speaker Republican Cliff Rosenberger, who met with Goodman. Shortly after the meeting, Goodman resigned due to “inappropriate conduct”.

This comes as a surprise to many constituents, because Goodman has consistently spoken about “natural marriage” being between a man and a woman. His campaign website, which is now offline, outlined his views on family:

Healthy, vibrant, thriving, values-driven families are the source of Ohio’s proud history and the key to Ohio’s future greatness. The ideals of a loving father and mother, a committed natural marriage, and a caring community are well worth pursuing and protecting.

Goodman’s twitter bio describes him as:

Christian. American. Conservative. Republican. Husband to @Beth1027.

His tweets are protected and his account is private. His Facebook page has also been taken offline.

Rosenberger said that the encounter was between Goodman and a person not employed by the legislature, and that it happened several months ago but was brought to his attention only recently.

I was alerted to details yesterday afternoon regarding his involvement in inappropriate behaviour related to his state office. I met with him later in the day where he acknowledged and confirmed the allegations. It became clear that his resignation was the most appropriate course of action for him, his family, the constituents of the 87th House District and this institution.

No charges or complaints of sexual harassment have been  filed.

Goodman said in a statement to the Columbus Dispatch:

We all bring our own struggles and our own trials into public life. That has been true for me, and I sincerely regret that my actions and choices have kept me from serving my constituents and our state in a way that reflects the best ideals of public service. For those whom I have let down, I’m sorry. As I move onto the next chapter of my life, I sincerely ask for privacy for myself, my family, and my friends.

He is the second state lawmaker in Ohio to resign in the past month after inappropriate actions came to light. Former Republican state Senator Cliff Hite, above, resigned last month after he allegedly made sexual propositions to a state employee multiple times.

In a statement he explained that he asked a female state employee for hugs and talked with her:

In a way that was not appropriate for a married man, father, and grandfather like myself.

After Hite’s resignation, plans were announced to introduce sexual harassment awareness training for Ohio’s Republican and Democrat senators and their staff.

13 responses to “Ohio ‘family values’ politician resigns over gay sex episode”

They WANT to be outed!

“who has consistently stood for faith, family and his opposition to gay rights”

Their supposed consistent beliefs are so often exposed as being as a result of career advantage and not conviction. My guess is that, as a percentage, there are as many atheist and gay clergy in the churches as there are atheists and gays in the general population.

I bet he isn’t Husband to @Beth1027 for much longer.

4. sailor1031 says:

The trouble is that politicians want that political power so badly that they’ll tell any lies that they think will help get them elected. “Family values” is one of the biggest of these; so is that lowering taxes on the rich will stimulate the economy and create jobs……but people will consistently vote for these lies.

5. Johan says:

Shakespeare wuz rite. He protested too much.

@sailor1031: Well said. And just as it is revealed that the richest 1% now own 50% of the world ‘s wealth, they want to resurrect Reagan’s infamous “trickle down”!

barriejohn: “The existing social order is a swindle and its cherished beliefs mostly delusions”” George Orwell.

I’m an Orwell fan. I got a thrill when I visited Jura where he lived and wrote. Probably the loneliest place I have ever visited. As I neared the top of a long slope a golden eagle floated over and drifted way down with scarcely a movement of its wings. Unforgettable. And, I suppose, the nearest I will ever get to a transcendental (spiritual?) experience.

Broga: The nearest I got was visiting Wigan Pier on a wet Saturday when I was a student. Hardly a transcendental experience, but it’s left me with a love of Lowry which my poor dad just couldn’t comprehend (“Looks like a kid did it!”).

barriejohn: These experiences seem to come from a complex mixture of personal history and enthusiasms which happen to meet, unexpectedly, with a situation which triggers them.

@Broga
    We (currently) have five buzzards inhabiting the woodland behind where I live. It is just staggering to watch them riding the thermals and hanging there in the sky. What a feeling that must be. And what a view they must have from such a height. It isn’t difficult to understand why ‘primitive’ people such as native Americans felt such a bond with the natural world and tried to connect somehow with the creatures within it in a spiritual/ritualistic kind of way.

11. John the Drunkard says:

Once we’ve seen the ‘family values politician’ bit. Do we even have to wait for the ‘gay sex’ part? It seems that we can assume it with enormous confidence.

12. Dianne Leonard says:

Native people in the Americas particularly revered Raven, who is variously creator, wise counselor, and fills many other similar roles. Some years ago, I walked out to the ocean side cliffs at Point Reyes National Seashore in California. There were some scraggly trees overlooking the magnificent cliffs and the Pacific Ocean. In these trees, there were about a dozen ravens. They were taking turns flying out over the cliffs, riding on the thermals, and doing barrel rolls. As each finished his/her display, they would croak, go back to the trees, and their place would be taken by another raven. I watched this–display? playing?–for about a half hour. I think I enjoyed it as much as they did. If you read Bernd Heinrich’s book “Ravens”, you will agree with his assessment: Ravens are wicked smart. Or just watch them feed, fly, socialize. You won’t forget it!

AgentCormac : Buzzards are great to watch. We are also lucky enough to see Red Kites quite often. They were narrowly saved from extinction. So sad to know that so many species are now becoming extinct.

I see that Trump’s ghastly sons, truly human scum, have been photographed with a cheeta the killed. They have also shot elephants.