Partial Sunday shopping ban displeases Polish Catholics

Partial Sunday shopping ban displeases Polish Catholics

Last Friday Polish lawmakers voted to ban shopping  on Sundays twice a month – but Catholics aren’t pleased because they want Sunday trading outlawed completely, and they want it now.

Instead, the poor dears are having to wait until 2020 for a total ban, according to this report.

The ban was proposed by trade unions that want shop and trade workers to spend more time with their families. A bill received support from the ruling party that’s up to its neck in “Catholic values”, but critics say it would hurt Poland’s economy, eliminating tens of thousands of jobs.

It would especially harm supermarket chains, which are mostly Western.

The lower house, dominated by the ruling party, voted 254 -156 with 23 abstentions to limit Sunday shopping to the first and last Sunday of the month from March 1 until the end of 2018; only on the last Sunday in the month in 2019; and to ban it totally starting in 2020.

There will, however, be some exceptions that will allow Sunday shopping before major holidays like Christmas and Easter, and on the last Sunday in January, April, June and August. Also, online shops and bakeries are to be exempted.

The bill still needs approval from the Senate and from President Andrzej Duda.

Poland’s influential Roman Catholic bishops said in a statement they were not fully satisfied and insisted that all Sundays should be free from work for everyone.

In Hungary, Prime Minister Viktor Orban’s government banned Sunday shopping in 2015 but lifted the prohibition after 13 months because it proved highly unpopular with voters.

Bible bullies on the Isle of Lewis

And speaking of Sunday trading, it was reported earlier this month that a shop owner on the Isle of Lewis  is being targeted by “extremist Christians” – because she opens her Tweedtastic gift store on Sundays.

Leona Rawlinson, above, says one lunatic stormed into her shop shouting about not keeping the ‘”Lord’s Day” holy. Another even approached her on a Sunday to express his views on the shop’s business hours and to distribute leaflets. The incident was reported to police.

She was even sent a bible and a warning letter by a posturing nincompoop called Dan MacPhail, Secretary of Day One/Lord’s Day Observance Society, who wrote:

We are concerned for the spiritual and eternal as well as temporal consequences of such actions of Sunday opening and do not believe that lasting blessing or profit will follow.

Rawlinson is taking their Christian crap with a pillar of salt:

I will continue to open on Sundays as and when. It is my right and I will not be intimidated.

A spokesperson for the Western Isles Secular Society said:

Leona’s is not the first business to be harassed in this cowardly manner and it probably won’t be the last. This kind of shameful behaviour is typical of a small and hardcore group of fundamentalists.

• The photo at the top of the page shows a gift shop in Krakow, Poland.

31 responses to “Partial Sunday shopping ban displeases Polish Catholics”

And where in the Bible does it state that the Sabbath has now been moved to the first day of the week. rather than the last?

Similar trouble in Israel, but that’s what one would expect, as it was the birthplace of Christianity:

‘We are aware of many Christians expressing disappointment that such an interesting shop as Tweed Tastic is trading on Sundays and that solely because of this they are refusing to give of their patronage.’

For ‘many’ read ‘two or three, tops’. God-bothering bloody fuckwits.

3. sailor1031 says:

Remembering the Sunday “blue laws” when I was a kid in presbyterian dominated Ontario I wonder why anybody would want that. It was similar when I was stationed in England – a real sunday wasteland; though fortunately London was only three hours away. Things are fine now; we can shop, drink, eat out, go to theatre, concerts and movies. Those who don’t want to do these things don’t have to. They can pray and abstain and go to church all they want; no-one will interfere with them doing so. I have never understood why we sinners can’t just be left to sin in peace while the religiots work on their own salvation.

Given that “Lord’s day observance” has never been popular any place I’ve ever been and has been done away with almost everywhere (fringe islands around Britain notwithstanding) it’s pretty obvious that this effort in Poland is driven by a small minority of fanatics no doubt at the behest of the RCC Inc executive suite.

4. Arnold says:

When I was a kid in the sixties, the town I lived in shut down on Sundays. The place was as dead as a doornail. Pubs opened breifly at lunchtime and in the evenings but if I remember they closed at 10pm. Just down the road on the Welsh / England border a pub stradling the border was half open on Sundays. The English half opened for a few hours but the Welsh bit stayed shut. Lets hope the toilets were in the open bit.

5. Arnold says:

And if work is prohibited on Sundays pray tell why the ranks of the clergy are working? Shut the churches for breaking the law of god. Or is it that the activities of the clergy not actually work but a fun ego stroking time lording it over the congregations who have no diversions.

@Arnold. The Welsh pubs being closed on Sundays reminds of when the Barry to Birnbeck ferry did a roaring trade bringing drinkers from Wales to Weston-super-Mare.

7. CoastalMaineBird says:

“I will not be intimated.”
    I’ll guess she meant “intimidated”, but…

Clergy is not working as they are doing the LORD’S Work which is permitted on sunday. Technically a store selling jesus crap could be open for the same reason. Sunday is the xtian holey day because they had to steal that day from the pagan sun worshipers.
    But in any event fuck your holey day! ahole! I don’t have to keep your day holey as I DON’T Believe!!!

9. Graham Martin-Royle says:

If no one is allowed to work on a sunday, just think of all the fun burglars and arsonists would have, plus, don’t fall ill cos there will be no doctors or nurses available. Heaven forbid your country should be invaded, all the armed forces will be at home as well. Only cold food available cos all the electricity generating stations will be closed plus all the gas pumping stations. If your car isn’t full, no petrol stations open, no trains, buses, planes. No tv transmitting, no radio, cinema. Nothing! Zilch, zip, nada. Won’t it be FUN!!!

10. Barry Duke says:

Sorry CMB for not spotting that the word was wrongly spelled in the original report. I’ve corrected it now. Posting stuff using a small laptop is a bit of a challenge, but I am having to do so as I have been away from my desk for the last four days to attend meetings in the UK. Normal service will be resumed on my return to Spain tomorrow.

11. CoastalMaineBird says:

“think of all the fun burglars and arsonists would have”
    No – they wouldn’t be allowed to burgle or arsonate on Sunday, either.

It is never enough for the believers to do what they want and leave everyone else to chose what they want to do.

“We are concerned for the spiritual and eternal as well as temporal consequences of such actions .” Pretentious nonsense.

@Broga
    Pretentious. Insolent. Hectoring. Presumptuous. Lecturing. Conceited. Pompous. Retarded. Interfering. Arrogant. Sermonising. Disrespectful. Self-obsessed. Contemptuous. The list of adjectives you could apply to these fools and there outpourings is almost endless.

@AgentCormac: Spot on. On what grounds do they think they have the right to decide how the rest of us think and act.

@Broga
    I suspect on the grounds that they’ve been getting away with doing just that for two-thousand years! Old habits die hard.

16. sailor1031 says:

Angela_K: occasionally we had to go to a defence site on Cardigan Bay, very welsh. On sundays the pubs were all closed but for one shilling you could be a member of the working mens’ club for the day and drink all you wanted; they were open all day and well into the evening. I’ve often wondered if sunday closing laws weren’t just a way to spread the business arouns a bit.

17. Vanity Unfair says:

I am not vindictive – really – but would be interested to find out – hypothetically – what one of the Right Reverend gentlemen would do in the event of his tripping on leaving his pulpit and breaking a leg. I would bet on a sudden revelation concerning hospitals, A & E departments and fracture clinics.

sailor1031 : I grew up in an isolated part of Scotland. To drink legally you had to travel three miles. On Sundays men travelled three miles to the pub in the next village to be able to drink. They passed men coming from that village to drink in the village they had left. I don’t recall this being seen as other than quite normal.

19. Vanity Unfair says:

On the subject of pre-liberation Sundays I will (again) point to the semi-divine Galton and Simpson and Sunday afternoon at home with the great Hancock team.
    In any truly civilised society they would be on the syllabus for GCSE and A level exams. Have I said that before?

20. Robster says:

Reverend of some sort next door expresses displeasure when we whip out the lawn mower on Sundays, it’s the only time we talk, needless to say, Sunday is our mower day! Piss off reverend.

Vanity Unfair: That episode is also available on YouTube.

Stone me!

@ Robster
    Personally, I’d be showing him the manicured stripes in your lawn and asking if there’s any chance he can get his religiot logic as straight. I rather doubt he could.

Many years ago I rented someone’s converted garage on the Isle of Lewis. I arrived at about 8 pm in the dark after a 16 hour journey, was kept outside the main house and not even offered a cup of tea. When I was shown into the garage/flat everywhere there were notices pinned up -‘No hanging washing out on a Sundays’ – ‘No playing music outside on a Sundays’ – ‘No meat to be cooked on a Fridays’, ‘No alcohol to be consumed on any day’, etc., etc. Most contained some religious sub-text to something-or-other that was prohibited. I have never felt so utterly alone and depressed in all my life. I took the next ferry back to civilisation.

24. sowa says:

Make no mistake: “Poland’s influential Roman Catholic bishops” don’t give a damn about people working or shopping on Sunday. They just want to boast how much of a Catholic country Poland is. Passing this legislation will remind people who really is the boss here.

25. Johan says:

Poles were killed in their millions by the Nazis who had the catholic god on their side. So why so the poles tolerate the catholic church at all?

26. tonye says:

I have to admit that there is a small part of me that misses the ‘quiet’ Sundays that I remember from years ago. Not for the religious connotations, obviously, but the joy of visiting my parents and spending the day with them in a once quiet part of the city. Now where they live is as noisy and busy as the other six days.

Johan: Poland was,before WWII, and after Pilsudski’s death,a fascist, Catholic country (communism was banned), with a large (though outdated) army. Their misfortune was to be Slavic (so sub-human), hence the German plan to invade the country and use the people as slave labourers. Modern nationalistic Poles see themselves returning to their roots, and haven’t forgotten the millions killed by Stalin, both before and after Barbarossa!

28. David Anderson says:

Here in deepest, darkest Galicia shops usually close on Saturday afternoons and Sunday but all the bars and restuarants are open. In larger cities there are shopping malls that open all week. Seems that the Spanish catlicks are not as catlick as the Polish ones.

29. Brian Jordan says:

It seems to have been proposed by the trade unions, who have a point. ISTR that as Sunday opening was liberated in the UK the unions, understandably, objected. I believe making Sunday working optional with extra pay solved the problem. But that was when it wasn’t wall-to-wall opening: does it still apply or is it “work Sundays or else” these days?

30. Italian Scallion says:

I am totally against the idea of a Blue Law. I really think it is dumb and stupid. How about the people that work six days a week. When do they get the chance to do shopping? Also, religion should keep out of everyone’s life. No fairy tale, baby killing god will ever control my life. He can kiss my ass.

31. Magie says:

As far as I know Catholics in Poland are highly disappointed. Central-right PiS (law and justice) is not conservative enough. They are waiting for a complete ban on terminating human life. Then PiS will show whether it is truly conservative or scared-stiff by G. Soros