Oz gay marriage vote puts daft couple back in the headlines

Oz gay marriage vote puts daft couple back in the headlines

Back in 2015 Nick and Sarah Jensen – both devout Christians – vowed to divorce if gay marriage was ever legalised in Australia.

Their silly pronouncement prompted a backlash, and among the first to speak out against the couple’s bigotry was Nick Jensen’s older brother, Soren Jensen, who penned an open letter on Facebook disapproving of his sibling’s stance. In it he said:

I love and respect you brother. You speak from your truth and I speak from mine. And on this issue I believe you are wrong.

The time is now. This country is finally having an open debate on this issue, all voices should be heard, and then the obvious decision should be made.

It is time for Australia to join the rest of the world in embracing marriage equality. And my brother should too.

Well, today, Australia passed same-sex marriage legislation amid scenes of wild jubilation – and the media lost no time in tracking down the Jensens to see whether they now  intended to make good on their promise.

Various news outlets, including the Telegraph, carried a terse statement from Nick Jensen, who said:

My previous public comments regarding civil divorce never envisaged me separating from my wife, but rather our marriage from the state. The legislation currently makes it untenable for us to do this under the law. The point we were highlighting and that still stands however is the fact that a redefinition of marriage changes the agreement under which we were originally married.

We will be making no further comment.

So that’s a no, then.

In his original 2015 letter to the Canberra City News, the posturing plonker said their proposed divorce was “nothing to do with the state of our marriage” and described his wife as:

The only woman I have ever loved, the mother of our children, my perfect match.

Explaining their threat to divorce he said:

Our view is that marriage is a fundamental order of creation. Part of God’s intimate story for human history. Marriage is the union of a man and a woman before a community in the sight of God. And the marriage of any couple is important to God regardless of whether that couple recognises God’s involvement or authority in it.

My wife and I, as a matter of conscience, refuse to recognise the government’s regulation of marriage if its definition includes the solemnisation of same sex couples.

This has been a big decision for my wife and I. Some will accuse of us being bigoted or too hateful to share. But this couldn’t be further from our intentions.
The truth is, marriage is simply too important. It is a sacred institution, ordained by God.

Meanwhile, it’s reported here that Austria is about to legalise same-sex marriage.

The country’s Constitutional Court announced that gay marriage will be legalissed in the Catholic-majority nation starting in 2019, arguing that its traditional marriage law is “discriminatory.”

The court said that although gay couples already have essentially the same rights as married couples, having been allowed to enter into registered partnerships since 2010:

The distinction between marriage and registered partnership … cannot be upheld in this day and age without discriminating against same-sex couples.

The court’s ruling added:

The resulting discriminatory effect is seen in the fact that through the different title of the family status, people living in same-sex partnerships have to disclose their sexual orientation even in situations in which it is not, and must not be, relevant and … are highly likely to be discriminated against.

Civil partnerships, it added, will be open to both gay and straight couples, while the words “two people of different sex” will be removed from the law on marriage.

Hat tip: BarrieJohn (Australian same-sex marriage report)

22 responses to “Oz gay marriage vote puts daft couple back in the headlines”

I’m glad they aren’t divorcing – they deserve each other.

2. CoastalMaineBird says:

What a tough decision for Australia’s people – do we allow people to love whom they will, or do we preserve this match made in heaven?

Thankfully, they won’t have to make this choice.

There aint no such thing as same-sex-marriage, there is just marriage, a legal contract. And then there are bigoted hate-filled ahole dogmatic dimwits, who prove they are st00pid by claiming their BS but will then sign the GOVERNMENT contract!! If its so holey why are you signing a government contract? With religious bigoted aholes having a high divorce rate it is good they are hypocrites and sign the contracts cuz otherwise the women would really be fucked royally!

4. Duuuhhhuuhuhhh says:

I’ll say it again. To be a good Christian you first have to be a stupefied nasty bigot.

5. John the Drunkard says:

Pretending that whatever some fool believes is ‘his truth,’ and deserves ANY respect on that front, is why progressives would rather sabotage themselves than stand on any principle.

Will someone chime in to ‘splain that the poor widdle dears just lack self-esteeeeeem?

I hope also that we are seeing the end of ‘church’ marriages, where some Dog in the sky must ‘solemnise’ the union. A marriage that is recognised by the state is all that is required – and a celebration party afterwards. I married in a registry office in Barnet 19 years ago – it took 20 – 30 minutes, followed by a big, sloppy kiss and a 2 – 3 hour party in beautiful surroundings. Very memorable – and no mention of the sky Dog.
    Of course, if others of whatever gender still want the blessing of the great Dog that’s their choice.
    However, what is going to happen if a same-sex couple really want to marry in an Australian catlick church for example? If the priest refuses does he end up behind bars? Modern martyrdom!

7. StephenJP says:

Mr and Mrs Jensen are perfectly entitled to adhere to whatever personal commitments they prefer. Good for them. My dear wife and I have similarly committed our lives to each other, and so far it’s worked out OK. For 44 years. Good for us.

What Mr and Mrs Jensen are not entitled to do, however, is to prescribe how other couples should choose to live their lives. (Nor are me and the missus). This is quite a simple point. Why is it so difficult to understand?

@StephenJP
    Very well articulated indeed.

9. Michael Glass says:

In 2016, the 76.4 per cent of Australian marriages were civil marriages. http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/mf/3310.0 In the same year, just over 30 per cent of Australians declared that they had no religion in the census. http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/mediareleasesbyReleaseDate/7E65A144540551D7CA258148000E2B85?OpenDocument In a few days time the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse will bring down its findings https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/08/sexual-abuse-survivors-demand-access-to-royal-commission-report . Meanwhile, Cardinal George Pell has been charged with offences involving multiple complainants. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-06/george-pell-at-court-historical-sexual-offence-allegations/9021596 and the Catholic Adelaide Archbishop Philip Wilson faces magistrate-alone trial in Newcastle over alleged abuse cover-up http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-06/philip-wilson-trial-in-newcastle/9230604

Of all these things, the Report of the Royal Commission on Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse is likely to have the most impact. See https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2017/dec/08/sexual-abuse-survivors-demand-access-to-royal-commission-report

10. Robster says:

Have a neighbour, a reverend of some sort who was quite vociferous regards his dislike at the prospect of same sex marriage, told my partner and I a number of times that the baby Jesus or other preferred deity would ensure it wouldn’t happen. It did!Oops. I’m quite keen to catch up with said reverendly neighbour to debrief him on the outcome but the sook won’t talk! On approaching the person in this morning’s bright sunshine, he decamped, rapidly! I was left on his front lawn, his lawn mower running but no reverend of some sort. What a sook . And a loser. Didn’t I feel good.

Robster: I heard of all sorts of things over the years that “God won’t allow to happen”, and they all did. The Irish Brethren constantly assured us that Catholics would never share power, even breaking their own golden rule of avoiding political involvement because “this is different”, but just look what’s happened since, with the great Ian R.K. Paisley and Martin McGuinness being christened “The Chuckle Brothers”. Isn’t life strange?

12. Teresa says:

@Barry Duke, barriejohn, Broga, remigius, sowa
    Hi again, “Since the Jewish nation mission was to produce the Messiah, so the Polish nation is chosen to prepare the World for the final coming of Christ” – as Abbot uttered. Queen of Poland has never left her beloved nation unattended. For real Mother the most important is eternal salvation of her children. What ATHEISTS call a curse for a real Catholic can be a proverbial blessing in disguise. Therefore time and again a huge toll of blood was required to preserve faith in the Polish nation as well as atone for its sins. Moreover, it is very likely that the Polish would have lost their faith if they had had a chance of wallowing in the luxury and riches after the WW II like the Dutch and the Australians. Stalin and Hitler brought about the physical death of millions of Poles but thanks to them we are the Catholic country as it were. Poland still remains a bastion of Christianity and an isle of Catholicism among European countries which are continuously rolling down into horrendous neo-pagan abyss. ? Poland has experienced many times the supernatural intervention. The victorious: defense of Jasna Gora monastery 1655, battle of Vienna 1683, battle of Warsaw 1920, elections of 2015. Hot desk news Barry: 830 thousand signatures have already been collected to support a bill which is supposed to protect life from conception to natural death without any exceptions. In a few years time people from all over the world are going to learn Polish language. The poms who will survive too. The process of exalting Poland in might and holiness among other European nations has already started!!!
    +Rozalia Zelakowa “I say this to you once again, my child, that only those nations shall not perish who will be submitted to Jesus’ Heart through the enthronement, who will recognize Him as their King and Lord.¥
    +Therese Neumann, German mystic and stigmatic (†1962) “You Poles bear a grudge against us Germans, because we hurt you. You are right. But through this you have completed all your penance on earth. The penance will be upon us Germans. Berlin’s fate will be like the fate of Nineveh. […] London will share Berlin`s fate too. You Poles can rest assured.”£
    +Lodovico Rocca a Franciscan friar- “Under the hegemony of Poland, the Slavs will join together and will form a Western-Slavic European power, bounded by the rivers: Odra, Nysa, Daugawa, Dnieper and the seas – the Adriatic the Baltic and the Black. Poland will remain forever! €
    Had it not been for the miraculous victory of the conservative coalition in 2015, Poland would be now becoming more and more godless, multiracial and multicultural country. The pride of the enemies of the CCH was trampled. What is even more important the four particularly important events for the future of Poland would not have taken place!!! They are going to be spiritual cushions protecting Poland in upcoming massive purification! What are they: 1/The ceremony of declaring Jesus Christ the King of Poland, attended by Poland’s President 2/ It was consecrating Church in Poland to Immaculate Heart of Mary (June 2017). The solemn mass was attended by president, PM – B. Szydlo, members of the government, MPs . 3/ When more than a million Polish Catholics encircled their country prying to save Poland and the world. The rest two million prayed the rosary in churches, chapels, hospitals and at home. The Catholic prime minister of Poland endorsed the rosary event as well. (Oct.2017). I wonder why Barry D, the eminent editor of the FT did not write any nasty words about it? He might have mislaid his laptop during his funeral booze cruise in the Gibraltar strait. 4/ The gathering over 150.000 Catholics at Jasna Gora called the Great Atonement. Similar event is going to happen next year – 1 mln Poles are expected in Gietrzwald. If you regard yourselves as immaculate and sinless then you are like ZOMBIES. You are spiritually dead though your liver and colon still work. @sowa I am making use of my right of freedom of speech now, aren`t I . Has your omnipresent virtue of tolerance burst like a bubble? Do not sweat the small stuff.
    Yet, I am not a troll. My firm intention has always been to sow some seed of doubt in your hearts. Some time ago I spent three years in Franciscan Seminary and wanted to become a priest. My spiritual model Maximilian Kolbe urged to proselytize freemasons and Jews. Barry belongs to a Masonic lodge. All demon rights (HR) groups have always been massively financed by top freemason George Soros – No 1 Christianity hater in the World. It a pity Barry that doesn’t know Polish. His editorials would have been by far credible. There is a fine school of Polish language for foreigners in Sopot within a stone throw from my place. I am a happy husband and father of three young children but frankly if I could I would turn back the clock. I wish one day my two sons would become Franciscan priests and a daughter a Carmelite nun. Sex is a real drag only for nutters like some of you. If I were to sacrifice my life for Christ I would, like early Christian martyrs. You are all dangerously deluded not believing in the existence of devil. Truly I have had a chance of meeting that horrible creature. It was a black slimy hairless dog with human green eyes which I saw during my sojourn in the Land Down Under. Stigmatic Padre Pio experienced similar incarnation of devil. The most recent choice of the Aussies shall have apocalyptic results. That was like a gentle kiss given to a sextillion demons. As SSM is an abomination to Him. Anyway, today I have great news for you. My mission is over. I am logging out. Merry Christmas!!! – yours always memorable $.. ff
    * * *
    My Polish friend asked me to post his comment since he has been banned. What is your opinion of it?

WTF?!

14. Stonyground says:

“What is your opinion of it?”

Batshit insane. Needs to learn to use paragraphs.

15. tonye says:

@Teresa,

You need to calm down.

Seriously.

Teresa: I gave up after the first few sentences as you have written a turgid and incomprehensible mess. Write in short paragraphs. Consider Oscar Wilde’s comment, “Sorry my letter is so long. I didn’t have time to write a shorter one.”

You seem to take an arrogant attitude to your potential readers in expecting them to read whatever you spew out regardless of its form or content.

I agree with Stoneyground, insane ramblings and verbal diarrhoea, you and your friend need help.

18. sailor1031 says:

“…Marriage is the union of a man and a woman before a community in the sight of God.” Not so. Marriage is a property contract as the Jensens would have found out had they gone ahead with their divorce. The state doesn’t give a rat’s patoot about any relationship or divine approval or religious rules. That’s why you can’t get divorced in church.

You can get married in church only because the state has delegated the job of marrying people and registering that marriage in the CIVIL records to clergy as well as to state employees called registrars. If you don’t have your contract registered with the state you are not married.

As for learning the language of a relatively backward and insignificant middle-european country, no thanks. I’ll recap the old cold-war adage – “the optimists are learning Russian; the pessimists Chinese”.

I got as far as ‘spiritual cushions’ and bailed. This is someone with their fingers up their own self-righteous arse. Phew – what a load of insane crap! However, it is quite typical of those religious types who have built some pious fantasy land in their heads that is totally divorced from reality. You cannot reason with people like this because they spin a verbal web so dense no light can enter or escape – they are in an intellectual black hole – don’t go anywhere near or you’ll be sucked in.

20. StephenJP says:

So “Teresa” is a happy husband with three small children. Shome mishtake shurely? And he/she would like them to become Catholic priests and a nun…

Well, at least that’ll stop the buggers breeding any further.

1859: After a few sentences I feared for the verbiage event horizon. Pass that and a period of wasted life in reading the drivel has been passed and you cannot reclaim it.

22. Cali Ron says:

“Yes, I am not a troll. My firm intention has always been to sow some seeds of doubt in your hearts .” Double Epic Fail!! Yes, you are by definition a troll and not a very good one. The only doubt you have sown in our hearts is doubt in your sanity.

Opinion: I Second Angela K’s, diarrhea of the mouth (and brain ).