Good news: hate preacher is barred from entering Jamaica

Good news: hate preacher is barred from entering Jamaica

PASTOR Steven Anderson, of Arizona’s Faithful Word Baptist Church – notorious for his aggressive incitements to anti-gay violence – was just about to travel to Jamaica when he got news yesterday that officials has denied him entry.

On January 8 he announced that he would be travelling to Jamaica to recruit supporters.

Anderson came to public attention when he gleefully celebrated the Orlando massacre at the Pulse gay club, telling his congregation:

The good news is that there’s 50 less paedophiles in this world, because, you know, these homosexuals are a bunch of disgusting perverts and paedophiles.

In a previous sermon, Anderson called for the execution of gay people by stoning, claiming:

If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them. That, my friends, is the cure for AIDS. It was right there in the Bible all along.

Anderson, who was previously banned from entering South Africa on an evangelising trip, said on his the Faithful Word events page that he was planning a week-long mission to Jamaica.

Activists called on the Jamaican government to ban the hate preacher from visiting.

A petition started by Jamaican activist Jay John calling for the visit to be cancelled attracted thousands of signatures.
It said:

These are the messages that Pastor Anderson is bringing to Jamaica. He approves of terrorism, the action that the Government of Jamaica condemned in response to the Orlando Massacre.

Clearly the Pastor has no respect for humanity and his messages go against our democratic ideals and our motto, ‘Out of many, one people’.

Pastor Anderson’s messages attack and demean women, seeing women as second class citizens, unequal to men, discrediting them as holistic beings who are workers, academics and leaders.

The Pastor refers to women as ‘home keepers and not office keepers’ and sees women who work as having loose morals.

These assertions erase the achievements that the women’s movement in Botswana has made over the years.

By calling for the killing of gay people, Pastor Anderson’s messages are homophobic and condone violence against fellow human beings and a group that is already marginalized.

We the People, are asking the Jamaican Government to show leadership and stand as an example to fellow Caribbean countries to denounce terrorism and violence against marginalized groups.

But the Jamaican press largely sided with Anderson. The Jamaica Gleaner posted a one-sided and uncritical interview with Anderson in which he insists it is “a lie” to say he celebrated the Orlando shooting – despite video evidence of him praising it as “good news”.

He added:

I don’t think I am going to be banned, but it doesn’t surprise me that they are trying to get me banned, and maybe I will get banned, but I am at least going to go there and give it a shot.

It’s not like what I am saying is radical; it is just that the whole world has gone crazy accepting this disgusting perversion, and I am one of the people that still have a normal biblical viewpoint.

Over the years, there have been lots of persecutions. I have gotten tonnes of death threats.

We have booked different conference centres and have had them cancel on us. We have had hundreds of protesters outside of our church before. We have had PayPal not process our donations anymore.

Six different companies refuse to process donations for our church. So we have had a lot of businesses that don’t want to do business with our church.

Maurice Tomlinson, a Jamaican lawyer and gay rights activist who migrated to Canada after he received death threats, said that he was proud of Jamaica for banning Anderson.

This is a huge win for our Jamaican sovereignty, our constitutional protections and the safety and security of all Jamaicans.

Anderson suggested that the ban was the result of pressure from other countries.

I think the US or UK must have a lot of influence over Jamaica and that’s probably where this is coming from.

24 responses to “Good news: hate preacher is barred from entering Jamaica”

“…If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them. …”
    Exactly! So dimwit stop lying to men as you would tell lies to women!!!

Missed a great opportunity….let him come and speak, then note all the people that cheer or agree with him…you now have a list of potential terrorists or killers! Of course doing this may inform you that most of your people do agree , as well as the main politicians!

3. Philby says:

Should have let him come over and then chuck him in the slammer for the week.

Jamaica is one of the most homophobic countries on earth, so, much as I defend the right to free speech, his proposed visit was only likely to result in more anti-gay violence. I agree that the Jamaican authorities have made a wise decision, and it is pleasing to see that.

5. David Anderson says:

It always pains me when this scumbag’s name comes up that some people may think that I am related.

A normal biblical viewpoint? That’s made me laugh so much it hurts.

7. Johan says:

What make people as shitty as this?

8. John the Drunkard says:

Women discredited as ‘holistic beings?’ Sounds like Goop. And what’s the reference to Botswana?

Johan: Religion.

10. Bart says:

Broga.
    It cannot be only religion.
    There has to be some other compounding factor. Such as a deeply insecure persona that needs the prop of a protective entity. Combine that with a pathological inability to admit an error of judgement. Throw in a bit of nastiness maybe bourne of childhood abuse or bullying. Add dashes of bigotry, sadism, irrationality, a deluded self image and that might just do it. Not to forget a specious disposition.

11. Bart says:

I should have added “sense of shame over a sexual inadequacy or suppressed sexual peccadillo or even deviance.” Of course he could be experiencing dissonance between what he has been told god does to homosexuals and his deep rooted attraction to men.

12. StephenJP says:

Let’s look on the bright side. Even though he’s based in Arizona, he still finds that loads of companies won’t do business with his “church” or process its payments. This suggests to me that increasing numbers of people who are not brainwashed or brain-dead are writing this stuff off as the mad antisocial b***ocks it really is.

Bart: Well said. I suppose priests are self selected inadequates. They flee the challenges of life,

14. Stephen Mynett says:

The intelligence of the religious has been looked at in another study, quite interesting especially if you go from the Indie report to the Frontiers in Pschology link: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/athiests-religious-people-intelligence-smarter-study-imperial-college-london-a8183131.html

15. Vanity Unfair says:

Perhaps he could be diverted to the Lesser Antilles. A short stay on St. Marie might prove interesting.
    N.B. for foreigners: this is a fictional island, the setting for Death in Paradise. It is idyllic, but deadly, having a murder rate, mostly of tourists and expats, probably above that of Midsomer.
    N.B. for foreigners: this is a fictional English county, the setting for Midsomer Murders. It is idyllic but deadly…..

O.T. We will be going to a funeral service in a church next week. The deceased, I know as a fact because we discussed our lack of belief and exchanged books, was a atheist. His wife is a casual Christian. He was a likeable and popular man. The church will be full.

17. Tom80 says:

@Broga: I can never understand why people do not leave instructions with their will as to what they would like as a funeral. If the person was an atheist then surely he should have made his wishes known.

18. Brummie says:

My jazz band plays for many Humanist funerals every year in true New Orleans style – happy up-tempo Dixieland to celebrate a life.

19. andym says:

That photo looks like it’s been lifted from a clickbait advert.

“The three things you MUST do to avoid the misery of haemorrhoids.”

20. Stephen Mynett says:

Tom80, many people do leave instructions but these are not legally binding and there have been many cases where selfish religionist relatives or next of kin have organised a religious funeral despite the wishes of the bereaved.

Tom80: My mother who died six years ago made me promise that “there will be no minister near me.” She was Scots.

I agree with you.

@Broga: I suggest you let off an exploding firework rocket in the graveyard outside the church – one last act of defiance for your atheist friend; I’m sure he would appreciate it (but maybe not his wife).

23. Cali Ron says:

Brummie: What instrument do you play or are you a vocalist? My band plays mostly R & B, Rock and Blues. Since I blow the blues harp my favorite is Blues. NOLA. is on my bucket list for music, already have done a Chicago pilgrimage.

24. CoastalMaineBird says:

Good news: hate preacher is barred from entering Jamaica
    Bad news: He stays in the USA.