Italian professor creates ‘authentic’ model of dead Jesus

Italian professor creates ‘authentic’ model of dead Jesus

Being Good Friday – not, I stress, April Fool’s Day – this one’s hoot: using the Shroud of Turin, Giulio Fanti, Associate Professor at the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Padua University, has created a 3D ‘carbon copy’ of Jesus Christ after the ‘Messiah’ was tortured and crucified.

Life Site News says the Shroud of Turin is believed to be a cloth in which Jesus was wrapped after he died and quoted Fanti as saying:

We believe that we finally have the precise image of what Jesus looked like on this earth.

Fanti says that based on the marks on the Shroud of Turin, Jesus received “a total of at least 600 blows”, and his creation reflects these wounds.

At the moment of his death, the man of the Shroud sagged down towards the right, because his right shoulder was dislocated so seriously as to injure the nerves.

In this report Fanti said:

According to our studies, Jesus was a man of extraordinary beauty. Long-limbed, but very robust, he was nearly five feet 11 inches tall, whereas the average height at the time was around five feet five inches. And he had a regal and majestic expression.

As LSN provided no details about the learned professor, above, let me provide some. In an undated interview he said he developed an interest in the shroud at the age of 8. He was asked:

Do you believe the Shroud is likely the burial cloth of Jesus Christ, a fake relic, or are you uncertain what to believe?

He replied:

I must separate scientific aspects from religious ones. From a scientific point of view both my researches and the studies performed by the students (of Mechanical Engineering) in thesis with me ALL lead to a confirmation of the authenticity of the Shroud even if, up to now, no sure proof has been evidenced.

From a religious point of view, I am sure that the Holy Shroud is authentic and it is the most important Relic of Christianity. This because, following a precise question of mine, I had a personal ‘answer’ in 1998 in front of the Relic.

When he was asked what he experiences in the presence of the shroud, he replied:

I again have to separate scientific points of views from religious ones. Sometimes I experienced nothing especially when I was in front of the Shroud as a photographer or as a researcher. But sometimes, when I was as a humble believer, especially during the Holy Masses, my interior sentiments were very strong and not easy to describe in few words.

Fanti revealed that his university gave him €54,000 to conduct a scientific study of the shroud.

The Turin Shroud is a very interesting object to be studied from a scientific point of view, but it is not only this. Especially from a religious point of view, it is the material proof of what Jesus Christ suffered for me and for all the mankind.

But there is something more important. After many years of scientific studies and reflections, I see the body image on the Shroud as the photo of Jesus Christ’s Resurrection and this image assures me that there is another life after this one. This is the reason why I am pushed to change my objectives of my life.

Back in 2013, according to The Shroud of Turin blog, Fanti wrote, with the help of a journalist, Saverio Gaeta, wrote book entitled  Il Mistero della Sindone (The Mystery of the Shroud), about his experiments.

You can see a video of Fanti’s “scientific” project posted on YouTube just in time for Easter here.

16 responses to “Italian professor creates ‘authentic’ model of dead Jesus”

1. CoastalMaineBird says:

I must separate scientific aspects from religious ones

What’s the point,if you just claim authenticity anyway?

It’s confirmed authentic, without sure proof or evidence !
    Not technical razzle-dazzle, but a real marketing breakthrough!
    Act before midnight tomorrow and get a set of Ginsu Steak knives!
    Operators are standing by…

Malarkey.

2. Robster says:

A new dead Jesus? It’s long been done. Has any Jesus follower ever been to a Jesus focussed religious facility that doesn’t have numerous dead Jesus’ tacked to a stick or two, dangling off a wall or three? Surely a new approach is required. Enough with the dead Jesusii already.

” Jesus was a man of extraordinary beauty.” He was also white, heterosexual and celibate. All good Christians know that.

The shroud is definitely genuine and you can ignore that bollocks accepted by the Vatican, after extensive scientific investigations in three laboratories, on a piece of the shroud that it dates from the 13th century. These scientific dopes failed to realise that the piece they tested was a repair done in the 13th century. Also, the piece they tested had been handled in the 13th century.

In passing, we also have lots of pieces of the genuine cross. Enough to build a couple of hundred crosses. You just can’t trust these scientists.

4. gedediah says:

This guy thinks he can separate science from his religion. Then he throws science out the window, claiming authenticity despite ample documented evidence that the shroud is a fake. There’s no explanation offered as to how a shroud placed over a body would acquire an image like that.

5. Johan says:

So what. On a recent archeological trip to the holy land I discovered in an old Bazaar an ancient pair of Jesus’s Y Fronts worn at the last supper. I bought them and took them back to Oxford for analysis and after meticulous analysis of the semen stains I have confirmed the provenance of the holy thong and am reconstructing from the dna the Second Coming.

No examples of complex herringbone weave are known from the time of Jesus when burial cloths tended to be of plain weave. In addition, Jewish burial practice utilized — and the Gospel of John specifically describes for Jesus — multiple burial wrappings wrapped tightly around the body with a separate cloth over the face:

“Then cometh Simon Peter following him, and went into the sepulchre, and seeth the linen clothes lie, And the napkin, that was about his head, not lying with the linen clothes, but wrapped together in a place by itself…”
    —John 20:1:6, King James Version

Additionally, none of the gospels make any mention of any miraculous burial cloth after Jesus’s resurrection.

There are also claims of “bloodstains” on the cloth, but Hebrew law dictated cleansing of the corpse before wrapping and bodies don’t bleed after death. Chemist Walter McCrone identified the substance as a “combination of red ochre and vermilion tempera paint.” However only fibrils lifted from the shroud on sticky tape were tested for blood. (This was done in order to avoid damaging the cloth). It should be pointed out though that the color observed was still an unfaded red, which would not be expected of real blood, which browns with age. Dr M. M. Baden, a pathologist, pointed out the blood trickles from the scalp are evidence of forgery, on the grounds that blood from a scalp wound does not flow in rivulets but mats the hair.

Also of note is the lack of wrap-around distortion. For a shroud that was supposedly wrapped around the body of Christ, the lack of wrap-around distortion across the torso, thighs and legs is striking. If the cloth were genuine, the face and body should be hardly recognizable as such. The figure does not satisfy the geometric conditions of contact formation.

AgentCormac: None of that is of any relevance whatsoever, as the shroud is “miraculous”.

No need to examine any evidence then. Isn’t it wonderful!

@gedediah: There’s no explanation offered as to how a shroud placed over a body would acquire an image like that.

Yesterday has been showing again this morning an episode of “Secrets of the Bible” featuring Professor Fantasy and the Turin Shroud. He has proved beyond doubt (hahaha) that the image was produced by a massive dose of electricity. How was this generated almost two thousand years ago? IT’S A MIRACLE! Yes – that is his explanation. The man is a complete idiot.

(Trailer)

These people are all bonkers. They claim to have evidence of the existence of the Shroud from the earliest days of the Church, yet it doesn’t bother them in the least that there is absolutely no mention of it in the New Testament. Doesn’t it occur to them that one of the writers might just have alluded to it? I pity them.

One more point: They keep making the unchallenged statement that “Science has been unable to explain how the image was formed”, but this is not correct.

I agree with he idea that the shroud was a religious icon from the Eastern Church, which would have been accepted and revered even though worshippers knew that it was not actually from the time of Jesus, and that when brought to the West, where there is no tradition of iconography, its meaning and purpose were completely misunderstood. It was supposed to be an aid to faith and worship, and “real” only in the sense that the faithful “saw Christ” in it. It was never though to have come out of the tomb!

10. Daz says:

Maybe it’s the shroud of Chris

11. CoastalMaineBird says:

I can PROVE that it’s authentic.

Just one simple fact:

It answers prayers EXACTLY LIKE THE REAL JEESUS !

It answers prayers EXACTLY LIKE THE REAL JESUS !

Haha! LMAO! Very good, CoastalMaineBird.

Another amazing coincidence (though it IS Good Friday, I suppose): the BBC is showing The Robe at this very moment. What a load of hokum that was. My mother took me to see it when I was about seven, and I thought even then that it was nonsense. I realised later on that she took me to see all the films that SHE wanted to watch! However, the robe is actually mentioned in the Bible, unlike the shroud (see AgentCormac’s comment above).

14. StephenJP says:

He may be bonkers, and a complete charlatan, but he is sane and savvy enough to be capable of wangling €54,000 out of his uni for more “research” into this notorious forgery. No doubt there will be another spin-off book that he can flog to the terminally gullible.

I might retrain as a charlatan myself. Money for old rope.

Stephen JP: spot on – look at the book that just happens to be leaning prominently against his microscope.
    As for the cloth itself – I thought Jewish funerary laws decree that the dead should be in the ground no later than 24 hours after death?

StephenJP: I thought that as well. This “research” (i.e: vain, futile attempt to prove his idiotic theory) has been going on at great expense (watch the documentary for proof of that) for years, and obviously taking up much of his time, so who on earth has been paying for that?