California bans state-funded travel to ‘bigoted’ Oklahoma
In a move that angered California, Oklahoma’s deranged Christian Governor Mary Fallin – AKA ‘Scary Mary’ – last month signed a bill that allows faith-based adoption agencies to deny placement services to same-sex parents.
The new law is pure discrimination, and California will have no truck with prejudice and bigotry, the state’s Attorney General Xavier Becerra insists.
On Friday the AG announced that he’s imposing a ban on state-funded travel to Oklahoma, making it the ninth US state to come under California’s anti-discrimination travel ban. Said Becerra:
California will not use state resources to support states that pass discriminatory laws. California taxpayers are taking a stand against bigotry and in support of those who would be harmed by this prejudiced policy.
The ban will take effect on June 22.
California prohibits state-funded travel also to Alabama, Mississippi, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Texas, South Dakota and Kansas due to their laws that California deems discriminatory.
Assemblyman Evan Low, above, a Democrat from Campbell and chair of the Legislature’s LGBT Caucus, said:
California is a state of inclusion and has long stood up against discrimination in any form, within our borders and beyond.
Said Rick Zbur, the Executive Director of Equality California:
Every child deserves a loving, supportive family, and it’s neither pro-child, nor pro-family, for Oklahoma to deny them one. California taxpayers won’t subsidise Oklahoma’s — or any state’s — discriminatory policies.
Fallin signed the bill on May 11, saying:
The bill will help continue Oklahoma’s successful placement of children with a broad array of loving families and basically maintain the status quo by setting forth in statute practices which have successfully worked for the best interest of Oklahoma children.
But Oklahoma Attorney General Mike Hunter criticised the ban.
This action substitutes rhetoric for responsible adoption policy. Oklahoma puts the interests of children ahead of political games. It is utterly undeniable that our state, like many others, needs more participants in the foster and adoption systems – not less.
Six things you should know about the “horribly inept” Republican Governor (via RationalWiki):
• Religion: Fallin is a devout Christian and has had a tendency to champion Christianity over other beliefs. She once implored Oklahomans to pray for rain during a particularly aggressive heat wave in 2011.
• LGBT issues: Fallin is very notably anti-LGBT. She notably ordered National Guard facilities to deny spousal benefits to same-sex couples on the grounds that Oklahoma law didn’t recognise same-sex relationships. This rightfully drew ire from the Pentagon when then-Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel claimed that this was in violation of federal law.
• Education: Hoo-boy, has Fallin royally fucked over Oklahoma’s public education system. Ever since she’s been Governor, Oklahoma has lead the nation in cuts to school funding and have faced a shortage of teachers because of low pay.
• Abortion: Fallin is one of the nation’s top anti-abortion crusaders, having signed over twenty anti-abortion bills into law during her tenure as Governor. She has stated that she supports a “re-examination and reversal” of Roe v Wade. Her stances on abortion have earned her praise from both Focus on the Family and the Family Research Council.
• Fossil fuels: Like many of her fellow GOP contemporaries, Fallin has a deep abiding love for fossil fuels, particularly oil, which she has described in the past as a gift from God, and is known to cater to oil companies and fossil fuel developers (not surprising, as the oil and gas industry is her number-one campaign donor, and has been ever since her tenure in Congress.) Under her, there has been a large increase in fracking in Oklahoma, which in turn has caused an increase in earthquakes.
She declared October 13, 2016 to be “Oilfield Prayer Day”, calling upon Christians to “thank God for the blessing created by the oil and natural gas industry and to seek His wisdom and ask for protection.” Which is one of the most ridiculous things ever.
• Death penalty: Fallin has pushed for the increased use of the death penalty in Oklahoma, mostly lethal injection, while refusing to release details of the new chemical concoctions used in these executions.