I stand accused of ‘spouting hatred’ against evangelicals

I stand accused of ‘spouting hatred’ against evangelicals

Back in May, I penned a column for the weekly Spanish newspaper, Round Town News about the the increasing involvement of evangelicals in Trump’s administration (click here to read it).

This deeply upset Alan Roberton, resident minister at the English Church in Benidorm (click on image below):

My reply, due to appear in RTN next Friday, reads as follows:

When I penned the piece about Trump, I was angry because in that week a number of things happened to indicate that Trump’s election had set the US on a dangerous path towards Christian nationalism.

The Huffington Post explained in April this year that “Christian nationalism is an ideology that fuses Christians’ love of God and country. It hinges on the narrative that the United States has a special covenant with the Christian God.”

In this respect Trump’s election was not dissimilar to Germany’s 1932 election which brought Hitler to power – and most of Germany’s Christians welcomed the rise of Nazism in 1933, just as 80 percent of white evangelicals embraced Trumpism.

The Huff Post added: “This ideology [Christian nationalism] has emerged at various times in US history, but a distinct, aggressive iteration seems to have materialized in the Trump era. This most recent version rejects secular society and seeks to restore America’s identity as a ‘Christian nation’ by leveraging Christians’ influence in the public sphere. Some of Trump’s strongest evangelical supporters believe the president was divinely chosen by God to help them achieve the goal of a Christian nation.”

This is nothing if not chilling, and every day I read reports from the US which indicate that intolerance towards those who do not buy into Christian mythology is growing at an alarming pace.

Last week the world lost one of the 20th century’s great writer, Philip Roth, an atheist Jew. This is what he said about Trump shortly before he died:

I found much that was alarming about being a citizen during the tenures of Richard Nixon and George W Bush. But, whatever I may have seen as their limitations of character or intellect, neither was anything like as humanly impoverished as Trump is: ignorant of government, of history, of science, of philosophy, of art, incapable of expressing or recognizing subtlety or nuance, destitute of all decency, and wielding a vocabulary of seventy-seven words that is better called Jerkish than English.

Alan Robertson claims “Christians believers have never been guilty of spreading hate as the one that we follow always preached a message of love for all people.” Just like South Africa’s Christian apartheid regime encouraged love toward black people, eh?

18 responses to “I stand accused of ‘spouting hatred’ against evangelicals”

Barry: Congratulations on your brilliant polemic on Trump and your response to Robertson’s pathetic reply.

Halfwits who trumpet their intolerance; God besotted maggots; and wicked imbeciles.

Way to go, Mr Duke!

3. Laura Roberts says:

Clearly Robertson is a bit of a nutter, but I simply cannot conceive how anyone could be so exceedingly deluded as to claim that “Christian believers have never been guilty of spreading hate”.

4. Rob Andrews says:

Sure…there loving and peaceful if you’re there kind of Christian. But let’s remember: witch burnings, crusades, holy wars, heresy trials. So I guess if you’re not one of them, the hatred starts.

I remember after the 9/11 attacks I thought: It’s times like this, I’m proud to be an atheist.

“An atheist is a person with no invisible means of support”.–from the internet.

5. Laura Roberts says:

And, not for nothing, you absolutely wiped the floor with him, Barry. Your “Donald, duck!” was eloquent, scathing and wholly appropriate.

6. Robster says:

The bloke who responded describes himself as an evangelical Christian. So, from the word go he’s acknowledging his intellectual compromise. An adult with a belief in a malevolent sky fairy lecturing others! Oh please….!

Christians believers have never been guilty of spreading hate.

I’m sure he believes that most sincerely, but then as he is an evangelical Christian his life is based upon a lot of wishful thinking and fantasising anyway.

8. Frances says:

Alastair Campbell aired the same views on yesterday evenings BBC R4 Question Time.

9. CoastalMaineBird says:

“A nation that came to the rescue of the United Kingdom and Europe on two separate occasions during the 20th century.”
    Wow. That sounds a whole lot like “we owe it to them Yanks”.
    As an American, whose father and uncles had a hand in the “rescue”, I would say this:
    If you feel indebted still, then repay us by relegating such ministers to insignificance.
    Then come over here and rescue us…

10. sailor1031 says:

I question the fundies’ “love of country” when they hate so many of the people living in it. As for a “special covenant” with doG, nowhere in ‘scripture’ do I find that the USA has such an agreement.

@sailor1031: No, but Israel did in the Bible, so you just take all that and apply it to the Church. It’s called “spiritualizing” the Old Testament, and you don’t need any hard evidence that “God” ever entered into any such agreement!

sailor1031: The USA individuals fought and often died and it would be churlish to deny that or their courage. But the Russians saved us and vastly more Russians died than all the other deaths put together. Just for the record the German soldiers were the best trained and most difficult to defeat and most feared for their fighting qualities.

History is written by the victors. It is now being written again to give a more balanced view. Polish pilots, who detested what the Nazis were doing , were exemplary pilots. My uncle was burnt alive in a sea of flaming oil when the Dasher sank. I am not writing from bias. Hollywood fiction, presented as fact, dishonours the real heroes like my uncle. They don’t need it.

ALL abrahamic religions are hate filled, self-hating, bigoted, intolerant aholes. Some may be better than their religion but only thru hypocrisy and a fear to face the truth. They can SAY what they wish, I judge them by their actions.

A good reply Barry, but I would advise you not to get into a prolonged ding dong with Robinson, the publicity might be what he’s really after. Fools are often best ignored. As for Trump’s America, it seems to be heading closer and closer to the chilling theocratic dictatorship of The Handmaid’s Tale.

15. Stephen Harvie says:

I’m sure we all stand with you :o)

16. sailor1031 says:

Broga: was your post in reply to CoastalMaineBird? I don’t deny anything you say about WW2 and what really happened. 303 Squadron was an icon when I was a young pilot. I merely question if a religiot who hates almost everybody and everything in his own country can be considered as “loving his country”.

17. Cali Ron says:

Sailor 1031: He loves the Christian fantasy of what christians believe America is or should be and remember his “loving “god has slaughtered millions of innocents.

18. Cali Ron says:

Keep up the good work Barry. Reading the article made me wonder how exactly does hatred ‘spout’?