Pope slammed for advocating psychiatry for young gays

Pope slammed for advocating psychiatry for young gays

On his way back from his bruising visit to Ireland, a beleaguered Pope Francis was plunged into yet another row – this time for suggesting that parents should seek psychiatric help for their gay children.

According to this report, during a press conference aboard a flight from Ireland to Rome, Francis was asked what he would say to parents whose children were gay.

He told journalists:

When it shows itself from childhood, there is a lot that can be done through psychiatry, to see how things are. It is something else if it shows itself after 20 years.

But when the Holy See’s official news website published details of the interaction, the line was not included. A Vatican spokeswoman said:

When the pope referred to ‘psychiatry’, it is clear that he was doing it to highlight an example of ‘things that can be done’. But with that word he didn’t mean to say that [homosexuality] was a ‘mental illness’.

Francis’ remarks attracted condemnation from Colm O’Gorman, the Executive Director of Amnesty International in Ireland and a survivor of clerical abuse.

He is basically saying that young gay people can be changed, which is archaic and has been refuted numerous times.

Ryan Butcher, in an Independent op-ed, wrote that the Pope was:

Inadvertently right. Most LGBT+ people would benefit from counselling or advice from a mental-health specialist – but it’s nothing to do with their sexuality or their gender identity. It’s because of people like Pope Francis continually regurgitating this toxic rhetoric that there’s something wrong with us.

The UK government has pledged to put an end to the practice of so-called conversion therapy, with Prime Minister Theresa May describing attempts to change the sexual orientation of LGBT+ people as “abhorrent”.

Penny Mordaunt, the Women and Equalities Minister, said in July that “gay cure” sessions amounted to “abuse of the worst kind” and “must be stamped out”.

17 responses to “Pope slammed for advocating psychiatry for young gays”

1. Tony says:

Oh dearie dearie me. The pope is making a right fuck up of everything right now. He got a good kicking in Ireland which was great to see. Some of his own clerics say he should resign because he knew about and covered up for child raping priests in the USA despite calling such priests “SHIT”. The pope like most of his clerics and the faithful laity are simply not calibrated to reality, morality or common decency.

I say that any children who shows the early signs of belief in what the RCC preaches should be taken by the parents to see a shrink without delay.

Well he aint asking them to be stoned as they should be according to his great book o’BS.

3. StephenJP says:

Showing his true colours – surprise, surprise! I bet he’s the last Pope who dares to set foot in the RofI.

I am a critic of a lot of what this Government does; but I do give them credit for their general attitude towards sexuality and individual sexual rights. All the more reason to be vigilant against the likes of Rees-Mogg, and beyond him to the Aaron Banks-type entryists who are trying to take over the Conservative party. Not sure what those of us who are viscerally anti-Tory can do about this; but at least we can keep drawing attention to it!

I can think of many a lot nearer home for Frankie to advocate as needing psychiatry. He could begin with himself.

5. Henry says:

The pope doesn’t need psychiatric treatment. Nor do his cardinals and priests. No what then need is a good dose of penal servitude. Its what they deserve after all.

6. RussellW says:

Broga,
    Yes,indeed. Religious belief is a mental illness. Despite all the evidence to the contrary,otherwise rational people decide that there’s a sky being who takes an interest in their tedious little lives.

7. Robster says:

Do wonder why utterances from this nattily presented but silly fellow are reported outside the National Enquirer or The Onion. One positive I ‘spose is this popely type’s apparent desire to reduce his religious organisation’s influence further in the most profoundly embarrassing manner, if that’s possible.

Looking at the cap and the wires, I thought he was undergoing some sort of brain scan himself.

What he is saying is that if ‘it’ happens when the child is young then yes, it IS a mental illness, but if ‘it’ happens when the person of over 20 then ‘it’ is not a mental illness.Talk about mental gymnastics! His reasoning is about as elastic as the rim of my underpants!

Interesting that his hoplessness should use the words, ‘When it shows itself from childhood…’

So, being gay isn’t a lifestyle choice, then? It really is how some people are made? Whoever would have thought.

@StephenJP: I agree with what you say. Some years back I dared to defend Theresa May on a gay site when she said that her views on homosexuality had changed, as people do change their minds about things and I thought that she should be given the benefit of the doubt. I’m pleased to say that I seem to have been proved right, and her record is, generally,very good, especially for a Tory leader. Times have certainly changed, and does it seem possible now that there was so much opposition to David Cameron’s push for gay rights legislation?

It is extraordinary, and a damning indictment of our species, that people are still followers of a group of destructive villains who continue to be a major force in the wrecking of the planet.

13. Stephen Mynett says:

Broga, without this forum and a few others like it I would despair as there seems little in everyday life to suggest we are progressing as a species. When you look at the majority of the media and what is most popular on TV it is hard to think our species actually managed to produce people like Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins, Marie Curie and co, not to mention the many scientists either murdered or put off by the church.

Sadly even educated people are still drawn to the idiocy of religion. I have told this story here before so sorry for the repeat: My sister is educated to A Level and currently doing some sort of degree but can still come out with absolutely stupid statements. I was talking about climate change and what could be done when she chipped in: “I think it is arrogant of man to think he can do god’s work.”

It is very difficult to debate/argue with those who have a mindset like that.

14. gedediah says:

I don’t get why it matters whether or not homosexuality is a choice. There’d be nothing wrong with it if it was.

15. Stephen Mynett says:

Gedediah, I agree but unfortunately there are a lot of religionists who are destroying people lives with quack “gay cure” therapies. Our best chance of getting these “therapies” banned is by using scientific proof sexuality is not a choice.

In an ideal world people would just accept each other but with religion involved there can never be an ideal world.

Stephen Mynett : My brother-in-law is the same. A total twat, or wanker in my son’s words, who knows everything and knows sod all. He has a maths degree from Oxford, joined UKIP and canvassed for them, and insists that global warming is only cyclical change.

My wife described him an intellectually able and emotionally severely retarded.

Broga: Richard Littlejohn returned to the Daily Mail this week (though he actually resides in Florida these days) with the usual bullshit, eagerly lapped up by his readers, one of whom actually comments, “Good to start the day with common sense and intelligence”.

Long hot summer caused by ‘global warming’. Of course it was, just like 1976, before climate change had been invented.

Anyway, since I arrived home last week, it hasn’t stopped raining.

I think many of us forget that people with views such as these still exist.